It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:55 pm • # 1 

Been yearning to grab the short whip and play with some close range ‘gills locally so I did just that and headed to the rocky shores with a two weight and #16 micro-streamer. Whole idea lasted for all of about 3 sunfish in quick succession…
What can I say? I have many weaknesses and mudding carp are certainly one of them. Besides, I really wanted to try the weedless mop thing out on them and see if it had any merit for dingy water fishing. Heckuva bank to wrangle a carp from, but that's why I call it a weakness, this is not a matter of choice and there's no room for personal autonomy here. It's a mudder!

Kept the mop wet and picked up a few bass here and there, decently sized and scrappy as all get out on the lil’ deuce.

Eventually went back to wandering about for bluegill at an adjacent body of water to do more of a status check on the fishing than anything else. Few on topwater, nothing phenomenal there.

Caught a nice turtle, too, albeit by hand when it was climbing about at my feet. Rarely see ‘em this size so it was an unexpectedly pleasant surprise.

Sometimes I like it when things don’t go quite according to plan, think I’m gonna stay on the 2wt for a while. Been doing a lot of smallie fishin’ on a relatively powerful 9' 4wt and almost forgot how much fun these diminutive little toys can be. Do still have trouble keeping it on the small side fishwise, though, even when that's the declared plan. ;) While one can't push much on fly size and distance with the 6.5' 2wts, the sticks prove surprisingly capable in battle once you connect.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:04 am • # 2 

What's up with the taped reel?

Great trip, great report!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:53 am • # 3 

Nice report and good photos. Those are some big fish on a tiny rod. I like seeing evidence of turtle reproduction, esp. softshells. Gives a man hope.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:07 am • # 4 

It was encouraging to see your report. I totally understand the desirability of a fail-proof reel seat like the one you have. I've seen recently that some guys who use bamboo rods with spliced joints rather than ferrules prefer hockey tape instead of electricans' tape for connecting their splices.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:55 pm • # 5 

strummer wrote:
What's up with the taped reel?

Weight savings. No different in practice than a tape-on reel for a Tennessee handle on spinning rods, just rare to see it on flytackle as they usually use rings even on the lightest.

The rod blank itself is so light that putting a reel seat + most reels on it results in a butt heavy build which I find annoying. Using only cork and shaping it to the dimensions of a reel seat eliminates a good bit of weight versus the epoxy and metal of reel seats. Taped on with Magic Wrap or other stretch & wrap plumbing repair tape, a TFO BVK 0 or Galvan Brookie 0/1 is light enough to put the fulcrum just where I like it. Any heavier reel, the tip wants to climb or I have to choke back too far on the handle to get the neutral fulcrum desired.

On any longer rod builds, I just go with whatever reel seat I choose as the weight/fulcrum shift just isn’t so pronounced as with the short/light builds. Tape-on style is not exactly convenient, but it is highly effective at achieving the fulcrum location. Probably the only way to do it on this rod as the guides are quite small and lines I use are actually much lighter than a true 2 wt. The rod? Technically CCS puts it at a stronger 1 wt despite being marketed as a 2.

As PampasPete states, it's also pretty failsafe. Never had luck with slide rings and proper sizing of them myself. Odd balance problem on the extreme UL end of things, what you see there is one solution to it.

wheezeburnt wrote:
I like seeing evidence of turtle reproduction, esp. softshells. Gives a man hope.
brent

Yeah, I often spend an inordinate amount of time on any excursion appreciating just about any living creature besides the fish themselves. Don't know what size they get nippy at, but the lil' one pictured was still quite docile. Wasn't sure when I saw that snoot, but I figured it wouldn't hurt too bad if things went otherwise. :eek Although you're never really certain, both softshells and snappers are typically pretty chill at (very) small sizes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:05 am • # 6 

knotjoe wrote:
Yeah, I often spend an inordinate amount of time on any excursion appreciating just about any living creature besides the fish themselves. Don't know what size they get nippy at, but the lil' one pictured was still quite docile. Wasn't sure when I saw that snoot, but I figured it wouldn't hurt too bad if things went otherwise. :eek Although you're never really certain, both softshells and snappers are typically pretty chill at (very) small sizes.

What I've learned about turtles (used to do some herpetological work) is that, the more exposed/vulnerable they are, the nastier they are, presumably to compensate. That's why box turtles, with the hinged plastron that closes them inside, are such calm, sedate, non-violent beasts. I know what you mean about getting distracted - my home stream has large sand/mud bars that leave stories in tracks. Everything from moose to mink, bears to beavers. A delightful distraction.
brent

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply