It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:25 am • # 1 

Took advantage of an unseasonably warm (80 F) day yesterday and made my way to a local roadside ditch. No true lunkers to speak of, but plenty of panfish willing to put a bend in my rod.

There were plenty of small black crappie

Including the first blacknose I've come across

The occasional bass

Ever present bluegill

A few voracious Warmouth

A Redspotted Sunfish that I could have confused for its eastern cousin (Spotted Sunfish) if not for the range

And one beast of a Redear that came out of no where to smack my size 14 woolly bugger

Not too bad for the 28th day of December!

A belated Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to all of you!

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:18 pm • # 2 

Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:
No true lunkers to speak of, but plenty of panfish willing to put a bend in my rod.
Chris

They're all lunkers on the UL flyrod, dude. :applause No two ways about it and this is why we love it so.

Good to see others getting the last few excursions of '21 in before the year change, this is almost like an urgent rite of fishing for some of us. Just has to be done and then there's the first fish of the year which is always a bit tougher in many regions.

Nice Blacknose, they are a quirky critter which shows up sometimes and makes one wonder if they have always been there or the trait just suddenly expresses through a population. Can't recall catching any of them in past and only recently started to notice them in my Indiana waters for the last few years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:50 am • # 3 

knotjoe wrote:
and then there's the first fish of the year which is always a bit tougher in many regions.

I'll be out the morning of Jan 1, trying to beat the forecasted thunderstorms and approaching cold front.

I lost a local mixed bag contest by three species this past year (30 to 27). Half a dozen species on day 1 should help improve my chances this coming year.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:16 pm • # 4 

Nice photos. The black nose looks like a crappie with the black spots I see on bass in our urban waters?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:03 am • # 5 

Never knew that species of crappie existed. I'll have to start checking mine.

Great day and great report, as usual!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:32 am • # 6 

Chris,

Looking like a awesome time on the water with rod and line! Good Luck with the tournaments this year! And Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:28 am • # 7 

strummer wrote:
Never knew that species of crappie existed. I'll have to start checking mine.

Great day and great report, as usual!

From what I've read, it is a naturally occurring recessive trait found in various black crappie populations. Though it pops up most frequently in parts of Arkansas. There's also a hatchery bred hybrid strain of Black-White Crappie known as Magnolia crappie that shows the blacknose trait as well. Those are sterile, however, so I can't imagine this is a result of those making their way into the wild.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:31 am • # 8 

The Gill Guy wrote:
Chris,

Looking like a awesome time on the water with rod and line! Good Luck with the tournaments this year! And Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Gill Guy! Checked off four species shown above yesterday morning, but somehow couldn't find the two most common (largemouth & bluegill). At least, they should be easy to tally somewhere down the road.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:33 am • # 9 

JimRed wrote:
Nice photos. The black nose looks like a crappie with the black spots I see on bass in our urban waters?

I've stumbled across a few bass with those marks as well. Definitely something water quality related, but I'm not sure exactly what. This is apparently just a recessive gene, but water quality are usually a good bet anywhere in south Louisiana. Needless to say, I don't really eat any freshwater fish from down here in Chemical Plant country.

Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply