It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Testing out the new 1wt
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:33 pm • # 1 

A couple month's back Steve with Midwest Custom Fly Rods had posted on another forum about getting in a few 8'0" 1 wt blanks. I contacted him right away as I'm a fan of longer UL rods, but sadly the blanks had already all been spoken for. He had another order of blanks on the way though and was kind enough to let me reserve one for a build.

So after a slight delay, I finally received my custom 8' 1wt in the mail.

It casts extremely well with the 1wt Rio Lightline (DT) I order and has been paired with my favorite reel (an Orvis BBS I).

While I'd cast it a few times since getting it a week or so back, I finally had the opportunity to fish it this morning.

It's an absolute blast. I can feel the lightest tap and even the small fish below put a nice bend in the rod.

Should be a fun rod on small to mid-sized trout streams as well.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:20 am • # 2 

Looks like fun!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:02 pm • # 3 

It looks like you've got a good thing going. Just one question: what is that thing those fish all have in their mouths? It looks suspiciously like a traditional winged wet fly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:56 pm • # 4 

Beautiful looking rod.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:28 pm • # 5 

PampasPete wrote:
It looks like you've got a good thing going. Just one question: what is that thing those fish all have in their mouths? It looks suspiciously like a traditional winged wet fly.

That fly came in a swap I participated in at some point. I believe it is called "The Professor."

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:23 am • # 6 

Steve and I both use those 8' 1wts with a lot of success with them, and one of the best alternatives since our work on the design of the old Bingham SHX 7'6" 1wts became no longer available. Seems like when a mfg has a good thing, they end up on the greedy side and make something no longer feasible or affordable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:41 am • # 7 

Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:
That fly ... is called "The Professor."Chris

It is indeed. I tie them for brookie fishing. The yellow and red are particularly appealing to brook trout. You've just expanded my horizons, though. I'll be tucking a few into the warm water box. Thanks for that.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:07 pm • # 8 

wheezeburnt wrote:
That fly ... is called "The Professor."Chris

It is indeed. I tie them for brookie fishing. The yellow and red are particularly appealing to brook trout. You've just expanded my horizons, though. I'll be tucking a few into the warm water box. Thanks for that.
brent

Sadly, my nearest brook trout waters are a 10 hr drive to the northeast. As a result, I've learned to find other uses for the winged wet flies that I've accumulated over the years. Light & Dark Cahill winged wets also seem to produce pretty well though the brightly colored Professor seems to have the edge.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:09 pm • # 9 

SWCR wrote:
Steve and I both use those 8' 1wts with a lot of success with them, and one of the best alternatives since our work on the design of the old Bingham SHX 7'6" 1wts became no longer available. Seems like when a mfg has a good thing, they end up on the greedy side and make something no longer feasible or affordable.

That really is a great blank. I had sold my last 1wt (a TFO Finesse) as I was less than impressed with how it cast. No such complaints with this rod. It is accurate in close, but can also put out 40+ ft of line (at least paired with the line I currently have on it).

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:10 pm • # 10 

I don't know if Steve has one of those personal SHX builds, but I have 2, the first one was the original prototype, then one of the first production blanks . I guess I will have to put one of these 8' 1wts together for myself and see just how it actually performs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:27 am • # 11 

Sadly, my nearest brook trout waters are a 10 hr drive to the northeast.
Chris

Well, don't despair, Chris. You look like you're having a great time with that new rod. Where I live, virtually any clear stream holds brookies, and I've hooked them up to 22" long, but the truth is, most are 8" or smaller. And they don't fight even remotely as hard as a bass or sunfish of equal size. The stream I live on has brookies in the headwaters, starting about 4 km from my house, but 90% of my time on that stream is spent fishing the lower stretches across the road for sunnies, yellow perch, bass, fallfish and chain pickerel. And because of regional trout bias, I have it all to myself. Fish on, bud. I wish we had your diversity of panfish.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:01 am • # 12 

That's an interesting way of looking at it, Brent. Down here in the Dallas area we have more types of sunfish than you can count, and millions of them. I can go out and catch literally 100-200 of them a day at certain times of the year. It's great fun pulling in a fish almost every time I cast my fly. But the trips that are most memorable to me are the trips to the White and Norfolk rivers in Northern Arkansas where I could wade out in the non-crowded rivers and it's just me, the water and the fish, with no one else out there to bother me. Just me and nature in the peaceful, beautiful outdoors. If I caught fish it was great (and I always did), but even if I didn't catch many the trips were still wonderful. The beauty of nature, the peace, the relaxation just can't be beat. Unfortunately, my old legs won't allow me to do that anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:41 am • # 13 

That’s a beautiful rod.

I’m going to look that fly up and tie a few. That should be just the ticket for the small streams that I fish around here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:56 am • # 14 

Nice post, Cliff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:22 pm • # 15 

Chris,

Very nice new custom 1 weight and collection of panfish species. Days are warming here, but night are still below 32 degrees. Good fishing is just around the corner!

Thanks for the post, Wishing you tight lines with you new rig, Enjoy and Be Safe!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:11 pm • # 16 

Proper acquisition.

Beauty of rods in this weight range is when you wonder "What species is this stick gonna be good with?" and the answer is more locational...anywhere! Strange, but true. I've yet to find a haunt where there isn't some fine entertainment to be had with the UL end of flytackle and 1's will find sport in near any body of water.

Rod will probably throw/roll running sections of line nicely. Free Triangle Taper if you trim proper and fish the reel end of any used WF. Many do have nice back tapers into the running line, they're fishable from either end. Eight foot can get a killer roll cast with the right weight distribution in a line. No rules, just stuff!

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply