It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Dagnabbit.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:02 am • # 1 

In the background (thrift store treasure)

Due to material shortages, today was another surprise day off. Threw the 1 weight in the trunk and made the five minute trek to the local ditch.

Took a while, but after switching to tan, got one.

I was told that if the results can be replicated, then it's fact. Tan worked twice. You can make your own conclusion. Little fish count as data, too.

Spotted Gar. I read the species is over 150 million years old. I'm always in awe of these guys.

Second trip in a row, a small bass has intercepted a fly intended for a gar!

Sadly, it took a turn for the worse. There was a gar. There was a cast. There was a take. There was a loooong walk, fish in tow, down the bank to get the stupid net. Landed. Admired. Photographed. Released.

Then it happened. I don't know how. I made the next cast and the tip section went sailing. Well, landed five feet in front of me. I've been here before. GL3's used to shatter on me all the time.
R.I.P. dear friend. Our time together was brief, but meaningful. I can't say you're irreplaceable, because you aren't my two weight... I am glad to have met you.

Post subject: Re: Dagnabbit.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:53 am • # 2 

Patsy Cline and fishing- a great combo.
There was no one better than Patsy Cline. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:37 am • # 3 

Ouch...never how you want to end your day on the water.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:34 pm • # 4 

sorry for your loss, but its always better to lose a rod while angling than while slamming a car door. Certainly a more honourable death!
brent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:46 pm • # 5 

Strummer, some days when we go fishing we can have good luck or bad luck, and sometimes we have both on the same day. It looks as though you had good luck with the fish and not such good luck with your gear. Was that your fun-weight?

I don’t quite understand what happened. From the photo and your description, it seems like the tip came off while casting and ended up in the drink. If that’s actually the case, don’t give up on the rod. Perhaps you can get a replacement tip. If not…

One of my rods is about to go into its third or fourth iteration. It started out as a 7’ St. Croix 3- or 4-weight carbon fiber blank that was cut down (at the butt) into a 6’8” 3-weight. Before moving to Brazil it became a 4-piece rod. Then the tip was lost to Guanabara Bay in Rio de Janeiro. Later on, it became a 2-piece Franken rod, with a tip section that came from fiberglass tenkara type rod. So it was a 7’3” one-weight. Now (in the southern hemisphere winter) it will probably become a 6’ 0- or 00-weight.

For me the moral of the story is that I need to be really careful that the ferrules are well seated when setting up and occasionally while fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:25 am • # 6 

Yes, it was the fun weight. It broke beneath the ferrule. I emailed them but haven't heard back yet.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply