It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:00 am • # 1 

I've mentioned here before my plan to eventually target redfish with my 3wt fly rod.

Well...yesterday a fellow angler unintentionally beat me to it.

Out the door at 4 AM, we loaded kayaks and a few heavier fly rods into the truck intent on chasing reds as the sun rose. He's still fairly new to the sport, so I wasn't completely surprised when he struggled a bit with casting at points during the day. Still he did well and hooked his first red within 10 casts. And finished the day having landed two slot reds along with a nice sheepshead that threw the hook at the net.

About an hour after we got home, he gave me a call. As he was cleaning up, he had come to the realization that he had spent the morning fishing the 3wt Echo Base I sold him recently (paired with an 8wt line) and not the 8wt Echo B.A.G. he thought he had brought with him.

Reviewing my photos, it should have been evident even from a distance. Just look at the bend an 18" redfish put in his rod.

Zooming in on his shot of the landed fish, you can make out Base 376 on the rod.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:37 am • # 2 

Now that's pretty nice. But what was unintentional: catching some redfish, or using an 8-weight line on a 3-weight rod? If it was the latter, that may explain having some difficulty in casting...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:48 am • # 3 

PampasPete wrote:
Now that's pretty nice. But what was unintentional: catching some redfish, or using an 8-weight line on a 3-weight rod? If it was the latter, that may explain having some difficulty in casting...

He unintentionally brought the 3wt. Both his 3wt and 8wt are Echo Rods. He thought he brought the 8wt, fished the rod all day, and only realized he had been using the 3wt after he got home.

In retrospect, it explains why he was having trouble landing some smaller 16-20" redfish.

More than anything, I'm fairly amazed he was able to cast an 8wt line on the 3wt all day without breaking the rod.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:41 pm • # 4 

You'd better watch out for that guy once he starts fishing that 376 with a 3-weight line...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:30 am • # 5 

Hilarious!
I kinda want to put the 8 on my 2 to see what it feels like!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:04 am • # 6 

strummer wrote:
Hilarious!

I had noticed his casting stroke seemed off that morning, but we had only fished together once previously. I assumed he hadn't practiced casting in a while and had just regressed a bit. He was making due though and hooked a red within his first 10 casts, so I decided to just let him keep working on it as the day progressed.

In retrospect, I'm willing to bet he lost the sheepshead due to the 3wt. No way he was able to get a proper hook set on one of those with a UL rod.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:38 am • # 7 

Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:
strummer wrote:
Hilarious!

In retrospect, I'm willing to bet he lost the sheepshead due to the 3wt. No way he was able to get a proper hook set on one of those with a UL rod.

Actually, it depends on how one sets the hook. With the traditional "trout set", that is, raising the rod tip to set the hook, it would be difficult. But by using a "strip set", that is, bringing the line hand back sharply without raising the rod tip, you can basically take rod flex out of the equation. It also is a faster way to set the hook, and sometimes that in itself is a big advantage.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:41 pm • # 8 

PampasPete wrote:
Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:
strummer wrote:
Hilarious!

Actually, it depends on how one sets the hook. With the traditional "trout set", that is, raising the rod tip to set the hook, it would be difficult. But by using a "strip set", that is, bringing the line hand back sharply without raising the rod tip, you can basically take rod flex out of the equation. It also is a faster way to set the hook, and sometimes that in itself is a big advantage.

You're absolutely correct! In this case, he actually thought he was snagged and was slowly lifting his rod when he finally realized that he had a fish on. At that point, he simply continued the upward motion as in a "trout set." He did properly strip set on the two redfish that he sight cast to.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply