It is currently Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




  Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:00 am • # 1 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 07/20/18
Posts: 229
I've mentioned here before my plan to eventually target redfish with my 3wt fly rod.

Well...yesterday a fellow angler unintentionally beat me to it.

Out the door at 4 AM, we loaded kayaks and a few heavier fly rods into the truck intent on chasing reds as the sun rose. He's still fairly new to the sport, so I wasn't completely surprised when he struggled a bit with casting at points during the day. Still he did well and hooked his first red within 10 casts. And finished the day having landed two slot reds along with a nice sheepshead that threw the hook at the net.

About an hour after we got home, he gave me a call. As he was cleaning up, he had come to the realization that he had spent the morning fishing the 3wt Echo Base I sold him recently (paired with an 8wt line) and not the 8wt Echo B.A.G. he thought he had brought with him.

Reviewing my photos, it should have been evident even from a distance. Just look at the bend an 18" redfish put in his rod.

Image

Zooming in on his shot of the landed fish, you can make out Base 376 on the rod.

Image


Top
  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:37 am • # 2 
User avatar
Sr. Member

Joined: 09/09/14
Posts: 492
Location: southern Brazil
Now that's pretty nice. But what was unintentional: catching some redfish, or using an 8-weight line on a 3-weight rod? If it was the latter, that may explain having some difficulty in casting...


Top
  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:48 am • # 3 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 07/20/18
Posts: 229
PampasPete wrote:
Now that's pretty nice. But what was unintentional: catching some redfish, or using an 8-weight line on a 3-weight rod? If it was the latter, that may explain having some difficulty in casting...


He unintentionally brought the 3wt. Both his 3wt and 8wt are Echo Rods. He thought he brought the 8wt, fished the rod all day, and only realized he had been using the 3wt after he got home.

In retrospect, it explains why he was having trouble landing some smaller 16-20" redfish.

More than anything, I'm fairly amazed he was able to cast an 8wt line on the 3wt all day without breaking the rod.

Chris


Top
  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:41 pm • # 4 
User avatar
Sr. Member

Joined: 09/09/14
Posts: 492
Location: southern Brazil
You'd better watch out for that guy once he starts fishing that 376 with a 3-weight line...


Top
  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:30 am • # 5 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 06/13/16
Posts: 924
Location: Southwest Florida
Hilarious!
I kinda want to put the 8 on my 2 to see what it feels like!


Top
  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:04 am • # 6 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 07/20/18
Posts: 229
strummer wrote:
Hilarious!
I kinda want to put the 8 on my 2 to see what it feels like!


I had noticed his casting stroke seemed off that morning, but we had only fished together once previously. I assumed he hadn't practiced casting in a while and had just regressed a bit. He was making due though and hooked a red within his first 10 casts, so I decided to just let him keep working on it as the day progressed.

In retrospect, I'm willing to bet he lost the sheepshead due to the 3wt. No way he was able to get a proper hook set on one of those with a UL rod.


Top
  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:38 am • # 7 
User avatar
Sr. Member

Joined: 09/09/14
Posts: 492
Location: southern Brazil
Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:
strummer wrote:
Hilarious!
I kinda want to put the 8 on my 2 to see what it feels like!


In retrospect, I'm willing to bet he lost the sheepshead due to the 3wt. No way he was able to get a proper hook set on one of those with a UL rod.


Actually, it depends on how one sets the hook. With the traditional "trout set", that is, raising the rod tip to set the hook, it would be difficult. But by using a "strip set", that is, bringing the line hand back sharply without raising the rod tip, you can basically take rod flex out of the equation. It also is a faster way to set the hook, and sometimes that in itself is a big advantage.


Top
  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:41 pm • # 8 
User avatar
Full Member

Joined: 07/20/18
Posts: 229
PampasPete wrote:
Chris_in_Louisiana wrote:
strummer wrote:
Hilarious!
I kinda want to put the 8 on my 2 to see what it feels like!


In retrospect, I'm willing to bet he lost the sheepshead due to the 3wt. No way he was able to get a proper hook set on one of those with a UL rod.


Actually, it depends on how one sets the hook. With the traditional "trout set", that is, raising the rod tip to set the hook, it would be difficult. But by using a "strip set", that is, bringing the line hand back sharply without raising the rod tip, you can basically take rod flex out of the equation. It also is a faster way to set the hook, and sometimes that in itself is a big advantage.


You're absolutely correct! In this case, he actually thought he was snagged and was slowly lifting his rod when he finally realized that he had a fish on. At that point, he simply continued the upward motion as in a "trout set." He did properly strip set on the two redfish that he sight cast to.


Top
  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

  Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

- OurBoard Support -