It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:35 pm • # 1 

At least once each spring, I try to make the drive down to New Orleans' City Park Lagoons with my 3wt in tow. It is a surprisingly remarkable urban fishery offering anglers the opportunity to sight fish for everything from sunfish and bass to carp, grass carp and gar. All within a few short miles the city's famed french quarter.

My target is rarely the native species, however, as these lagoons are also home to an invasive population of Cichlids (actually two species according to recent studies). Such was the case Tuesday when I headed for the city.

Admittedly, conditions were far from ideal (overcast with 15-20mph winds), but the trip also presented the opportunity to fish with a fellow angler I had yet to meet in person. We had both competed in The Mayfly Project's 25 on the Fly this past spring and found out after that we both shared New York & Louisiana connections. Back in town for a conference, Tuesday was his only free afternoon. So we agreed to make the most of it.

As expected the fishing was less than ideal, but the company was great. And with a little effort, I managed to avoid the dreaded skunk.

While the carp and gar weren't interested in playing, the bluegill were, and I landed perhaps a half dozen on a variety of small nymphs

The bass were also playing hard to get with many in the 3-5 lbs range turning their noses up at my offerings. Still, a Bream Killer fly (not to be confused with a Bluegill Killer) proved too much for this guy to resist.

It was finally a Bluegill Killer fly though (a pattern I was introduced to on this forum) that finally tempted the prize. of the day.

Overall, it was an enjoyable way to spend a windy Tuesday afternoon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:26 am • # 2 

Well done! Thanks for taking the time to share.
brent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:38 am • # 3 

OK, it's time for me to say it. "Uncle!" What is that black fish in the bottom photo. It obviously is not a bluegill that took a Bluegill Killer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:28 am • # 4 

You're welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:41 am • # 5 

PampasPete wrote:
OK, it's time for me to say it. "Uncle!" What is that black fish in the bottom photo. It obviously is not a bluegill that took a Bluegill Killer.

Sorry, Pete. I did a poor job of clarifying that in my post. That is some variety of Cichlid in the genus Herichthys. They were originally identified as Rio Grande Cichlids (Herichthys cyanoguttatus), but recent studies have suggested that there are also Lowland or Pearlscale Cichlids (Herichthys carpintis) present in the New Orleans canal systems. From what I understand, the size of the blue spots and a slight difference in the position of the lower jaw is the only way to differentiate the two.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:42 am • # 6 

strummer wrote:
You're welcome!

It's much appreciated. At this point, I may rename it the Cichlid Killer as it seems to produce more of these guys than any other fly I tie on.

Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply