It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:29 am • # 1 

Seems like activity is slowing down again, so I thought I'd start a new "What did you catch lately?" thread in hopes of getting folks to share.

To start things out, here are a few sunfish from recent outings in Louisiana:

Lepomis solis (one of the recently described Longear species)

Dollar Sunfish

Flier

I also had the opportunity to take two friends from out of town on a sunfish hunt last Thursday. It was miserably hot (heat index over 100), and I was too distracted playing guide to take many photos, but they managed to catch a combined 8 species of sunfish over three hours.

So what have you caught lately?

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:43 am • # 2 

I caught a nap yesterday afternoon because it was 109 in Plano and too hot to go outside.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:21 am • # 3 

That's quite a list, Chris! Thanks for the report.
I was down in the Berkshires, MA last week and milked a three day non resident license for all it was worth. First afternoon out, on the Cheshire Reservoir (hoosic river) I caught 6 species: chain pickerel, largemouth bass, pumpkinseed, bluegill, black crappie and rock bass. The latter two were new additions to my 'caught on the fly' list. Its a very shallow reservoir but I was the only wading fisherman I saw, and also the only fly fisherman. There were dozens of spin fishermen, catching the odd fish from shore or boat. I was able to access some areas others could not, by wading along the shoreline. I also suspect that the fish in this heavily fished water rarely, if ever, see flies. I caught fish fairly continuously, and on the last afternoon, when the wind dropped, I caught probably 30 large, fat bluegills up to 9" long on a #10 floating buck bug over an hour and a half. Otherwise, I was mostly fishing a tiny beadhead wooly bugger in black and orange (#14). Longest fish was a chain pickerel about 16", heaviest was a 13" largemouth, but that was all good fun on a light rod. We lack such diversity as well as such large sunfish here at home.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:12 am • # 4 

Sounds like a great trip. Have to imagine the 16" pickerel put up quite a fight on a UL rod!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:28 am • # 5 

Heat index has been in the triple digits lately, so I haven't been out much. Got a snook this morning off the beach, but that's not UL. They were few and far between. And spooky.

Freshwater has been frustrating! For some reason, I keep losing almost everything! I don't know what's going on. Before it became too hot to do anything, I was hooking fish. And promptly losing fish. The highlight was losing a nice bass, casting back to the same spot and hooking up with a conciliatory fish...

Had a really good day fishing for the exotics down south. But that was on an 8.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:34 pm • # 6 

Bunch of big fat brookies, small brookies, brownies, a couple of rainbows and and 2 smallmouths with a 1 and 2 wt Orvis' on the Deerfield in Wilmington ,VT! Unfortunately the water temp is rising,the level is dropping because we've had little rain and the eagles are arriving and they are really excellent fishermen and women . It's been a lot of fun but without rain the trout season pretty much ends , soon. Going out early tomorrow. Cheers,Chet

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply