It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:21 pm • # 1 

Really excited about this rod but would like some grain windows and casting experiences. Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:11 am • # 2 

I ordered one, got it in, played with it in the garage and sent it back. I'm into long rods as I have in 10' rods a 2, 3, 4 and 5 wt. plus 11' in 3, 5 and 6 wt. I do a lot of Czech nymphing and thought I would try the 12' rod. I got the IM6 rod and found that it was so tip heavy that I could not even balance the length with my loaded 10 wt. salt water reels. It weighed in at 4.7 oz. which doesn't sound like a lot and the reason I purchased it. I think 12' for a single handed rod just pushes the balance point too far out. If you want to gamble I would go with his 12' UHM12 2/3 wt. as it would be lighter but I'm not sure how much.

I returned the rod and replaced it with one of his UMH12 modulus 11' 4/5 wt. switch rods that I plan to use for landlocked salmon and steelhead fishing. It is of course lighter and the extended handle actually balanced with a regular loaded 5 wt. reel.

If your plan is to get the blank and build a switch rod then maybe with the reel set forward you might find the proper balance. Action wise on the IM6 it was medium fast from my little amount of handling. The UHM12 rod in that size would be more on the faster side.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:15 am • # 3 

Thanks, was going to build it into a spey rod. I guess with a full spey handle it may balance better. I do agree that as a single handed rod it would never balance. Problem is for me, the shipping to pnw is more than the cost of the rod so it's not returnable. Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:38 pm • # 4 

From my little experience so far with his rod materials I would go with the UHM12 12' 2/3 wt. blank for a build. Blank weight is 2.3 oz. I found the difference in his built IM6 vs. the built UHM12 was total dislike to like it. I have not yet taken it out for a spin as the weather and temperatures are bad here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:06 pm • # 5 

How is the blank colour? Just by reading it was black with metallic put me off. Why someone would build a metallic blank is odd. Are there any other blanks this size and weight that you might know of? Really dig the idea of a 12' 2/3. Thanks for all your help[WHITE SMILING FACE]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:58 pm • # 6 

It is hard to find a 12' 2/3 wt. so I guess a sparkle rod is what's out there. It is -4 degrees here but sunny so I took the UHM12 rod out to the driveway and got this shot with the sun bouncing off it. It looks like metal flake paint on a hot rod. Hope this helps. Without bright sun it basically looks like a black rod.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:05 am • # 7 

They are progressive tapers.

The ARE 12' 2/3 IM6 rod will cast a 210 grain Scandi. I guess around 240-250 Skagit. Your mileage may vary. If you are in the PWN, then you will most likely know of Steve Godshall, the line guru. He told me that it would be a nice Scandi rod and I agree with him.

I've also built out the 12ft 3/4 IM6. I currently have it lined with a 270 grain Rio Scandi (but may try it with a 250 scandi), I know some one else that likes it with a Rage 330, and someone else that likes the 3/4 with a 240 scandi. Steve G. told me the 3/4 would be an excellent Scandi rod for what I wanted and that's why I built it. I think he said it would be a good Skagit, but in this light of a rod, I'm not looking to chunk T11 tips. However, they are fine with poly leaders on the Scandi, and I'm about to modify a 285 grain SH shooting taper to be a modified general purpose line for the rod. I built my 3/4 with a down locking reel seat with a walnut insert, a 12" upper grip and a 3.75" lower grip. The rod is light weighs 4.85 ounces finished and will balance with Ross Colorado 3 reel, which is a 3.5" reel and fully loaded comes in at 7.3oz. I might move to something different (reel), but it works for now.

The 12ft 2/3 IM6 will finish out at the same weight. The 12ft 2/3 IM6 blank weighs 2.65 oz.

On the 12ft 3/4 IM6, I know someone who uses his for half pounders in northen cal, and has landed a #10 steely with it with no issues. He also has the IM6 2/3 and thinks it a true light trouter with a 250 Skagit. I've seen a tendency for several guys to like the 2/3, but they are targeting sub 15" trout. I think that the 3/4 is good into the 20-22" range for it has a strong butt, if the stream isn't too big (CFS). I built it mostly for MT, and I would even take the 3/4 to the Yakima, Sandy, etc. I would also mostly be fishing soft hackles and wet flies size 8 and under.

The rollup facility that makes these blank makes a large portion of the blanks that are used in European brands that can carry a pretty high price. I'm pretty sure that they also make rods for some of the big box stores in the US, and I know of some that are used by some smaller setups here in the US. You really would have to spend a lot more money to find something else in this size.

The 12ft IM6 is hard to beat as a trout micro-spey. Most people seem to prefer the IM6 over the UHM as a two hander. I've not messed with the UHM, but Steve said it is nice. I do know of a few people who like the UHM better, they say they seem to be crisper. I'm not sure I like the metal flakes, I like the reddish brown of the IM6. I will try to post a picture this week-end, of one of them, but it will be Sunday for I'm off to Grandma's house tomorrow.

I also have a 10ft two handed rod that casts a 200 grain line.

They are so light compared to a 12'6" 6wt, that it seams silly.

It's not a Meiser or a Anderson Custom Rod, but it doesn't cost that much. I'm picky about blanks and my complaint is that the tip sections tend to not be the straightest, and the gel coating could cover all the way to the end on the females, but you will cover it with your wraps. But it is a $30 blank.

I also have a 200 grain 10ft two hander.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Pictures of an IM6 build
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:49 pm • # 8 

Sorry, our weather has been bad and I still have not been able to take photos outside, but I hope this will give some ideas of what an IM6 build can look like.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:11 am • # 9 

TX TROUT, love the look of that build.......where did you get that seat and what size is it?

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply