It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:27 am • # 1 

Seems ARE has boosted their shipping to Canada making the blank outside of what I believe they are worth. My question is what other blanks are there in this class? Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers, Ed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:07 am • # 2 

Ok, the guys on my forum have gone in on a group purchase and got a deal on our ARE blanks. I now have a couple blanks to build. First up is my 12' 2/3 but I'm looking for advice on spey components or this build. Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:22 pm • # 3 

If you have the means - buy cork rings and tailor the grips to you. You can then decide on looks, shape, etc. You really only need a dowel or threaded steel rod, and a hand drill & some sand paper - or you can get fancier/easier with a small lathe. If you don't want to make your own on this build - Mudhole and ARE both offer reasonably priced pre formed grip sets.

Reel seats on the UL version you can use whatever you like - wood inserts like on a normal single hander are sexy, or you can go with an all metal seat for utility.

As for guides & placement - I'm sure Johnny at ARE can give you his numbers for size/placement, or you can look up the "static placement" process on the internet. That's what I wound up doing for my build. I have one stripping guide, 11 running guides, and tip top. I don't remember off hand what sizes I used.

One thing to consider - what reel do you intend to use? If you're using a light weight reel, you may want to select slightly heavier components for the reel / grip end in order to get a good balance. That or you can spool up some lead core line under your backing and just use what suits you. I use the Echo Ion 4/5 for my 2/3 spey build - it's a 3 and a half inch diameter large & wide arbor that weighs in at about 5 and a quarter ounces empty.

Looking forward to your build progress. The ARE blanks are honestly worth more than Johnny sells them for, they're great fishing rods.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:39 am • # 4 

Thanks for all your help MCKENZIE, I have several hundred cork rings on hand and plenty accent as well. I have built single handers but not a spey before, should be fun.....grips is where the fun is at. The wraps are where the frustration kicks in:) Ordering the components tomorrow for both blanks I got

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply