It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Building 9' 3wt 4pc
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:14 pm • # 21 

.....I forgot to mention something .......... when I had the Dorber out in the yard casting the WF1 line........the quick damping of the tip bounce (oscillations) led me to believe (maybe mistakenly) that the Dorber was a more accurate casting rod since the tip wasn't throwing waves into the line. It go me excited to think how I might be able to throw small flies up into bankside brush and under overhangs because of the accuracy of the Dorber blank.

I'm "stoked" to get it on the water. The only way I'll be able to keep my hands off it tommorrow...and let the finish set...is to go on a long bike ride! 55 miles up into Southern KY might just do it!

David

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:31 am • # 22 
Administrator

Lami makes graphite rods too.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:58 am • # 23 

Hey...just so it's clear......

#1. This is only a sport...it's FISHING for Christ's sake.

#2. Everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes and opinions. When someone asks me for a recommendation....I make it PERFECTLY CLEAR that they need to test EVERYTHING before they make a buying decision. There's a very good chance that someone will not like what I like and vice a versa. That's true for everything from fishing rods to bicycles to toilet paper. That's one reason that I've never paid much attention to gear review articles. It's all about personal impressions and preferances....and those vary considerably from person to person.

With that said...I'm outta here. I think I'll go fishing.

David

Last edited by armyflyfisher on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:37 am • # 24 
Administrator

Quote:
armyflyfisher wrote:

With that said...I'm outta here. I think I'll go fishing.
I thought you were going for a bike ride today--in order to *keep* from going fishing Image

Sound advice... "Try *before* you Buy"

"This is only a sport" ?? Whoa! A ton of analogies come to mind, but seeing that you're a cyclist (roadie?), that's like saying the Tour De France is just a bunch of grown men wearing funny shorts, riding around on bicycles. Image (sorry, I'm a cycling fanatic too--doping or no doping).

Good luck fishing, or have a nice ride--whichever it works out to be!

Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:01 pm • # 25 

I did both Jerry.......55 miles on the road bike and hit the local creek for an hour until I got rained out. I'm a USCF Cat. 4 road racer and NORBA mountain bike racer. I'm no Tour rider but in the Summer I do get in some 300 - 400 mile weeks.

I meant that it's fishing.....not a life or death thing. For me anyway, it's a fun diversion from life's (and work's) pressures so that I don't think about the IED blast injured 19 year old soldier or the 23 year old father of 2 with burns to his hands and multiple fingers gone when his vehice exploded from an artillery shell.

David

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:01 pm • # 26 

New cork is on the way....back to building on the Lami spinning rod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:52 pm • # 27 
Administrator

armyflyfisher wrote:
I did both Jerry.......55 miles on the road bike and hit the local creek for an hour until I got rained out. I'm a USCF Cat. 4 road racer and NORBA mountain bike racer. I'm no Tour rider but in the Summer I do get in some 300 - 400 mile weeks.
I'm a mountain biker myself, been tagged twice by cars on the road and gave up my road bike (well, one of them that hit me was a motorcycle), and after 6 shoulder surgeries I've slowed down on mtn bikes too. I spend about 95% of my bike time on a rigid 29'er single-speed.
armyflyfisher wrote:
I meant that it's fishing.....not a life or death thing. For me anyway, it's a fun diversion from life's (and work's) pressures...
I was just giving you crap Image, but truth be told, for some of us this is a way to immerse ourselves in something to avoid all that other crap. I know several of the guys here are dealing with some pretty serious stuff, so this is a place to hang out and bury ourselves in the minute details of a very fun hobby. This diversion is pretty important for a lot of folks (and because of a chronic illness, I'm one of them). So try to understand if we seem a little too serious about this stuff, and we'll try to understand that not everyone sees it the way we do (although that's tough to do Image).

"rained out"?? Unless there was lightning I didn't think there was such a thing as being rained out--fish like rain! Image

Take care!

Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:17 pm • # 28 

Without this forum...UL fly fishing...and the people here who have helped, prayed, taught, and gifted me, I have no idea where I would be physically or emotionally...It may be just fishing but, to me it is the best therapy I could have right now...I have had a difficult year and I am not going to whine about it...I just want everyone to know how much this forum ,and its members, have helped me get thru some difficult situations....Thanks....Rob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:27 pm • # 29 

I like rain too.....very cooling....but when the creek turns to chocolate milk....and i hear thunder....its time to go to the truck and head for home.

david

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm • # 30 
Administrator

Quote:
armyflyfisher wrote
and i hear thunder....its time to go to the truck and head for home.
Smart man. I love rain, but thunder and lightning are best enjoyed from a car or the big picture window in your living room.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply