It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:42 pm • # 1 

Never built a rod, only replaced a grip and a seat, which actually turned out great. Thinking of trying a Finesse 1wt, but want to lighten it up over the factory build. I am thinking of either a cork seat with double rings, or an aluminum uplocking w/ threads and cork seat. I found some examples of each below. Seems like the bulk of the weight of a typical seat is the hardware, and that a cork seat sheds some weight but not that much over wood. Still I actually like the look of the cork seat.

I lucked out and picked up a Redington Drift 2/3 for around 40 bucks off Sierra Trading Post. A little heavier than some UL reels but still 3.5 oz is not bad. I figure I need to trim off the weight from the butt, and I like the uplocking or double slider so the reel balances further toward the grip.

Many of you know that Finesse blank. Wondered what you guys thought of either of these configs. I think most will agree on the double slider and cork grip but I am liking the idea of the SFG setup too. Now, it seems like anybody who uses the sliders also uses more of a cigar grip, rather than the HW western on the SFG. If that doesn't look quite right, I figure I could always just take a little of the flare off the back of a regular length grip.

Interested in suggestions or opinions on how this would look with that dark green blank. If not a cork insert, I'm not even close to choosing a type of wood. Also thinking of dark olive thread with silver edges on the ferrules and the black nickel light wire Universal snake guides (or maybe single foot).

I like the blued look that some guy did to this one (on bottom in 2nd pic). Would probably look nice with the dark guides.
ImageImage

I like this too though too, if I can still find one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:49 pm • # 2 

Hi preast
how many feet you would like be long the rod?

About the cork grip and the reel seat I make them by myself all in cork (in this way http://www.flyfishing.co.uk/rod-buildin ... lathe.html ).
For the reel I use hollow rings brass that here are used for curtains, very light.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:23 pm • # 3 

7'6" 1 wt @ 2.6oz as pictured, could possibly shave down a little depending on seat, but very minimal, and almost un-noticeable to the average individual. This is a true 1wt, coming in a 1.44 ERN and Bare blank weighs in at .880oz or 25gr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:37 pm • # 4 

SWCR wrote:
7'6" 1 wt @ 2.6oz as pictured, could possibly shave down a little depending on seat, but very minimal, and almost un-noticeable to the average individual. This is a true 1wt, coming in a 1.44 ERN and Bare blank weighs in at .880oz or 25gr

interesting rod: what blank is it? What is the AA?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:04 pm • # 5 

AA come in at 60, blank is an SHX by Bingham Ent. It fishes great also, have had a lot of fish to hand on it. They were specifically designed for her thru myself and another builders specifications. Anyone who has tried it has been totally amazed at its performance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:39 am • # 6 

Nice looking rods. Thanks for the pic. That gives me a good idea of what a typical HW western would look like, and all of those look nice.

I am looking at buying these components since I am not far enough into this to fabricate any of it. The 1wt is 6'9", with a blank weight of .815oz. I recall see the factory build is 2.1oz. I've cast it and wanted mine to be at least lighter than the factory. Esp since my reel is not the lightest.

I get the whole debate about whether it matters to shave off fractions of an ounce. I like light rods and the factory seat just seems a bit much for the 1wt. But mainly I figure since I can pick all the parts, why not find economical yet still nice looking components (and lightweight)? I was aiming for at least under 2 ounces on this one. Actually I think the SFG that I'm considering looks very similar to your rod. That would still probably get me there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:21 am • # 7 

That grip is all burl cork, so it definitely weighs more than a std cork grip. The next one I build, will most likely have and all top flor grip and one of the seats pictured below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:40 am • # 8 

SWCR wrote:
AA come in at 60, blank is an SHX by Bingham Ent. It fishes great also, have had a lot of fish to hand on it. They were specifically designed for her thru myself and another builders specifications. Anyone who has tried it has been totally amazed at its performance.

It's a little too slow and too long blank for my tastes. But anyway, please, do you have a link to where eventually buy it and to see the whole production?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:07 am • # 9 

@ preast

to cast Sage/Rio 000 line (who weighs like a #1) I use even the American Tackle Matrix 662-2, who is a heavy #1 or a light #2 and works perfectly even with 40 feets of #1. Or the Pacbay 793-2 (that I cut in the butt to have a 6,6"), who is a moderate rod with a #3, a more fast with a #2 and a fast with a #1. The tip is very thin (3/64 inches), like the Sage txl, but I think it's faster that the Sage, having a less parallel profile.

Anyway to have more ideas you can refer to here viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1054
Consider that ern 1,5 is a middle #1, ern 2 is in the middle between #1 and #2, then it will work better with casts longer that 30" and with cast shorter it will be a little faster, and ern 1 is the opposite.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:45 pm • # 10 

Thanks. I'm pretty settled on this blank. Been looking around for a while. Not at all new to fly fishing and rod actions, just never built on.

I was mostly looking for opinions of the other components to go with the Finesse. Leaning heavily toward REC PLRN seat though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:53 pm • # 11 

I did not build from a blank, but I re-gripped and installed a dual slide band seat on my finesse 2wt. I used this guy off of Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/ksn47/m.html?it ... 7675.l2562

Another option would save you a little bit but not much, use single foot guides instead of the doubles. Less weight from the guides, halt the thread wraps and half the rod finish.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:44 pm • # 12 

Collected most of my components but ran into a little snag. I ordered Snake brand guides and matching tip top in 3.5 but it seems too small for this tip. I know TFOs site says 4/64ths but I guess I figured this one would work since all their recommendations seem to be huge.

Before I order a 4.0, I wanted to make sure this one isn't supposed to fit. I took a superfine emory to the tip area for better adhesion but stopped there. Seemed like I'd damage the blank if I went down far enough to get the 3.5 to fit. Should I get a 4.0 or make the 3.5 work? Is the Snake brand possibly smaller than normal?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:02 am • # 13 

The size is the size, they do not differentiate. Do not try and make the smaller one work, get the correct size for the build 3.5 mm is 9/64. Their spec sheet list all the tips from 1 thru 6 at 4/64, but the actual size for that is a 4.0
6'9" | 1 wt. | 4 Piece | 4.0 Tip | 0.265 Butt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:18 am • # 14 

Thanks. Appreciate it. Can't believe I flubbed it.

I plan on doing the obligatory pictorial as this comes together.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:34 am • # 15 

I just picked up a Finesse 1wt (factory build) from a guy in round rock. I plan on putting a new grip and reel seat on it in the near future. Fished it for the first time yesterday and am going out again here in a few minutes to chase some of the stocked trout in Nolan Creek in Belton.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:26 am • # 16 

I turned my own cork reel seat, and used hardware I found on eBay. The seller makes the hardware himself - the rings are smaller than typical, so the reel seat had to be turned a bit smaller - which is no problem. I then sanded a flat on the bottom to keep the reel foot centered properly. This is the first rod with sliding bands that I actually like and feel comfortable with - sliding band seats I've had before with wood inserts always seemed to slip free. On this one the bands compress the cork a bit and the tension keeps everything nice and snug. Never had a ring loosen while fishing yet. I like the blackened nickle on these, as it goes well with the black blank color of my rod.

I like the looks of a cork reelseat and waffled between building and buying, but when I was looking to buy, finding one that I liked in cork was a chore, so the decision was essentially made for me to build my own.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:37 am • # 17 

Did you ever finish your build?
My Finesse one weight is my favorite rod to fish. I did a full cork grip with slip rings, paired it with the BVK 0 reel and Rio WF1F line and it weighs in at for ounces ready to fish. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:07 am • # 18 

Great blank! Post pictures if you have them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:43 pm • # 19 

Yes, finally...

/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=11390

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply