It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 3 wgt, long or short
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:46 pm • # 1 

Hi guys, I'm about to place an order for a Batson 3 wgt blank and just wanted to get some input on the long and short of my decision.
Just finished a 6'6" 2wgt and a 9' 5wgt, plus a 6'6" fiberglass 4/5wgt.
Got itchy fingers and think a 3 wgt might help my growing habit.
Thanks in advance for any help. Grant.

Post subject: Re: 3 wgt, long or short
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:03 pm • # 2 

My favorite length for smallish water is 7'6" to 7 ft. I have 3 weights between 6' and 9' but use the shorter lengths for really small water and dense vegetation. The 9' is mostly for float tube/canoe fishing so I can be a bit lazy with my backcast. Its a mix of glass and graphite, favorites at present are a 7'6" Blue Halo glass and a 7'9" TFO Finesse. Average fly size for me is a 12, I can go to a 10 if it is lightly dressed.

Obviously, I like 3 weights.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:36 pm • # 3 

I have a 7 ft native custom and a 5.75 ft CGR. I like them both. The 5.75 ft is great for fishing around lower hanging trees but with the 7 ft I get longer cast in situation where I want them. Both are fiber glass but there is alot of difference in the way they fish. I'm looking for my third, maybe a 7.5 ft.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:18 am • # 4 

The 7 footer will give you some reach over different currents on the small streams. Those streams have the same current issues that larger streams do. It's all about scale.
I have a 7 foot 6" 3 weight for small streams and it's not been a problem with small streams. That being said I AM going to build a 7 foot 2 weight over the winter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:35 am • # 5 

My most popular for the shorter versions of 3wts for customers, appears to be the 7'6' first followed by the 7'0". My wife uses a 7'6" most of the time as she prefers that over the shorter versions that we have. Even the 0 and 1wt's we build are preferred in the 7'6" length

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:59 pm • # 6 

Another vote for the 7'6" - very very versatile length rod that works on a bunch of small water, but will still perform on larger streams if you're fishing close in. Most of my UL fishing is on small streams where long rods don't do well - like trying to manuever a school bus through an alley way, when what you need is a honda civic.

8' is another good over-all length - my favorite 3 weight rod ever was an 8' 2 piece IM6 that I fished the bejezuz out of until I stupidly broke it by not casing it on the ride home once. Stupid, stupid mistake. Smashed the tip in 3 places. And naturally, the maker of that rod was out of business. The 8 footer did well on all but the bushiest streams, but I did have to be cognizant of the rod tip on some of my favorite streams (low hanging tree limbs that mandated side arm casts) it did great nymphing and casting dries on bigger streams where mending was necessary.

Maybe you should build two three weights - a long one and a short one ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:40 pm • # 7 

Love my 7ft 6in 3wt, but am growing fond of my 10ft 3 wt helping me reach spooky fish.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply