It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: In with both feet...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:12 pm • # 1 

Well I guess I'm sucked in. At first I just wanted to build a rod for myself different than the factory. Same old story everyone has I'm sure. Then my wife took notice of all the searching for this and that to go with my Finesse 1wt blank and she decided I'd need the "proper tools". She is a firm believer in having the right tools for any job, so she got me a Flex Coat kit for Christmas. She didn't know I had already started down the path, so I reluctantly returned the kit. Honestly I'd read too many negative reviews of the tensioners on that model anyway but that kinda committed me to going ahead and building or buying a dryer and a wrapper. Hopefully it doesn't show up on the sale forum next year...

Now for the question... I figured since I've put a little investment into this Finesse and I'm going to do a few rods, maybe I should do a cheaper rod first. I ran across the Angler's Roost glass blanks, which is offered in "dyeable" white. Is this meant only to be dyed or is it finished as a white blank ready to go? I wouldn't mind doing a white blank. They're only 30 bucks. Should be able to do a whole rod for 50 bucks.

Also I'm looking at the different threads and materials. I'm sure I'll want to sell off some rods, so I would like to at least know what is common, classic, traditional (or popular). Is below a fair summary of what is the common or appropriate thread/finish for the different blank materials?
    Bamboo - silk with urethane or varnish finish
    Glass - preference toward the same as bamboo, but OK with nylon and/or epoxy
    Graphite - nylon/epoxy for heavier weights, no preference for lower weights (whatever the desired look or translucence, etc)

Post subject: Re: In with both feet...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:23 pm • # 2 

Starting with an Angler's Roost blank wouldn't be bad, and the white blank is ready to wrap, you can color it otherwise if you choose. You will probably have to play around with the spigots a bit, but nothing that can't be overcome. I've built the 6'6" three weight and the 8 ft 5 weight and they are good, progressive action rods. Another alternative is to pick up a restoration project from EBay or Craigslist or whomever and rebuild it.

Your thoughts about finish are correct. You may use spar varnish on any of them but I wouldn't put epoxy on bamboo.

Have fun with it, practice a bit before you start on the actual build, and be careful, it is a slippery slope--Hayden

Post subject: Re: In with both feet...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:50 pm • # 3 

Thanks Hayden. I've seen some reports of the AR spigots having minor issues. When you say "play around", how much are we talking? Don't really want to get into a re-engineering project. I could spend another 20 bucks and get something a little safer. Ruby River glass blanks look interesting.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply