It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Finesse 1wt build
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:40 pm • # 1 

Finally got to this. After the glass rod, I had about a week to knock it out and let it cure before my trip to CO, so I was a little rushed. Overall I'm happier with this build but the epoxy could be better. Wound up a little bulbous. I messed with it too much and had to rescue it. I gotta get better at pulling the epoxy onto the blank and under the guide feet. Got a couple fisheyes too but I love the rod. I started with an SA Ultra 3 WF2F and it's great on small streams. I'm thinking it could use a 1wt at times. I know someone with a factory version and I can't wait to compare the actions.

I meant to thank everyone here for all the info and to Chris Barclay, who I had make me the grip which turned out really nice on this rod. He also gave me some pointers. I'm putting all this info here to pay back since I pored over a fair amount of detailed past threads which were very helpful.

Specs:
Blank: 0.725 oz
Seat: REC CRA S Titanium Gunsmoke w/ oval Curly Koa insert 0.56 oz
Grip: Barclay "special" 0.27 oz
PacBay brown nylon wraps
Universal Snake Black nickel LW (1/0,1/0,1/0,1/0,1,1,2,8mm)
Snake Brand Black nickel 4.0 top
REC AWC-TS Titanium Smoke 16/64th check
Fuji Titanium 8mm stripper

Total finished weight: ~1.6oz

Parts (I changed my mind on the thread color after this)

So far so good (I'm thinking)

The wraps started out low profile and smooth. I probably should've left them alone... but I didn't.

Finished rod

Love that curly koa

In the sunlight

"On location"

Last edited by preast on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Finesse 1wt build
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:39 pm • # 2 

Nice job, looks good! Just need to try it out on the Texas streams.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:40 am • # 3 

Looks good!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:26 am • # 4 

Wow, that looks great! Nice work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:29 am • # 5 

Great build!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:42 pm • # 6 

Very nice and good looking build!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:03 am • # 7 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:53 am • # 8 

Wow, GORGEOUS!

I'm actually getting a custom build on the TFO Finese 1wt. But I'm so hesitant seeing how I haven't even felt the factory TFO Finese 1wt yet......Can it cast #10/#12 dries 20'? How do you think the new model Battenkill 1 would balance on it? I'd LOVE to talk with you a little bit seeing how I have so many doubts.....
Again, wonderful job.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:59 am • # 9 

....just read your other thread before you got started. I thought I was the only weight fanatic. Weight is critical for me, and another reason I'm going custom. This was your first build, what was that like starting on a 1wt......? Again, I'd love to talk some with you to settle some nerves. Thank you. - Justin A.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:21 pm • # 10 

Actually I decided to start with a different (cheaper) build first (/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=11387). I'm just starting so I am probably not the person to talk to. Plenty more here on this board have the experience.

But I will say the 1wt was a little harder for only a couple reasons. The more flexible tip was a little harder to wrap the guides. Getting the guides aligned and straight is a little harder on a smaller diameter. I suppose it's also a little harder to keep the epoxy low profile. My problem was also that, for some reason, I had it in my head that I'd bought the Threadmaster Lite, when in fact I had the regular build version. So it started to set earlier than I thought (and the other mistakes I made just compounded).

You should do some practice wraps and epoxy first, on a blank or something close to that. I didn't practice my wraps and finish with an actual guide and I regret that because getting the epoxy on all 4 thread edges and at the guide feet was harder than I anticipated.

I learned some crucial things about wrap finishing on the second build that for some reason I didn't run into on the first but I don't think it was because of the rod weight. I think it was because I didn't pay as much attention to detail on the first. I was more concerned about the quality of the second. The only thing I wish I could do over is the epoxy finish. Everything else turned out perfect. But I think I've worked out my issues (and I'm gonna actually get some freakin' Lite version epoxy!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:25 am • # 11 

Preast,
I agree on the difficulty at the tip. Two things I noticed were the flexibility of the blank allowed movement while wrapping, and the narrowness of the blank left less contact area for the guide foot to mate to.
I'll be re-wrapping a couple of guides on my 1 weight over the winter. One on the tip section is slightly crooked and one is not exactly in line. The rod will still cast and shoot line but I want this to look right too. Only way to learn is to do it and then do it over.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply