It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Cabela's Stowaway blanks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:38 am • # 1 

I know somebody has thought of this and maybe done it. Take a 7 piece nine foot 5 weight blank; eliminate the butt section and build a fly rod on the six sections. It would be about 6 and a half feet long; what weight would it be?Anyone put the cents measurement to it? Or similar?-p-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:55 am • # 2 

Wouldn't it be a faster rod, and still be a 5? I am interested in seeing this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:58 am • # 3 

It shouldn't be because youre omitting the butt section, which is the strongest; I am building a 5 foot ultralight pack spin rod on one so I will check the ERN; its from a 8 foot 5 weight-p-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:52 am • # 4 
Administrator

Gene, yeah you'd have to check it with CCS. That's the only way to know for sure.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:57 am • # 5 

I always thought that eliminating some of the butt section sped a rod up, and required a heavier line, but I could be wrong, it has happened.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:43 am • # 6 
I have this rod so I took it out and cast it without the butt section. I taped the reel in place to have the weight there and not just 'cast the blank'. It cast very well (in my hands, to my casting style) with a 5wt line. I put a 6wt line on it and didn't notice any difference (both WF lines). HOWEVER it didn't seem as crisp so it my opinion, it was slower and flexed more into the last section. Now that I've tried this experiment, I am going to order a blank and build up the rod without the butt section because it felt good to me and should be a nice addition to the rack.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:54 pm • # 7 

Not sure about the 7 pc Stowaway blanks but I did that with the 7.5' 4wt and 8.5' 3wt in the 5pc blanks. In both instances I ended up needing at least 1 line weight higher to get a good casting rod and in the case of the 4wt blank, it really casted best with a 6wt line.

I have to say that the 8' 3wt with a butt section dropped was an amazing little rod. It ended up being a bass bug taper where the tip was a bit stiffer and the rod flexed well into the butt on the casts. Very fun little rod and Jsentell here can also attest to that as I also made one up for him.

P'row- let us know how youy make out if you try it.

Lou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:24 pm • # 8 

I'd always assumed if you lengthened a rod it became faster & heavier ....shorten one and its a little softer & lighter. Using common cents measurement, lengthening one will require more mass to flex the blank to 1/3 the length. Shorten one and it'll take less mass to flex to the 1/3 length.
Let's say you have a 7' rod and to flex the rod to the 1/3 (28") mark requires 100 grams. Shorten the rod to 6'6" and the 1/3 flex is 24" which will reqire less mass to flex it the -4". By the same token, lengthen the rod to 8' will require more mass to flex it 32".
Now, I know some totally disregard the "Common Cents" method, but I find it pretty accurate. For my feel (or lack thereof), I find that the measurement from what I call "the droop" is best. I measure the rod per Dr. Hanneman's method from a level position. Then I'll do the measurement from the "droop", which is the slight flex due to the mass of the rod. Typically the level measurement is taken at 50" above the floor and the droop is from about 47 to 48" above the floor. Typically 'glass rods will have more droop thas graphite, length for length.
The last point I'll make is that you are measuring a SPRING. I often hear the term"lever" used for a fly rod. It is, in fact, a spring which loads, unloads and will oscillate.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:58 pm • # 9 
Administrator

RioSeco, I use the CCS method and I'm a firm believer in it. I've never heard some one call a fly rod a spring before, but after thinking about it for a second, you are right.
I also measure from the droop, the only part of the blank that I make sure is totally level is the butt section right in front of the cork.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:34 pm • # 10 

J, I do it the same way. What is interesting is how one manufacture rates a rod vs another. I just rated an Orvis Far & fine, 7'9" 5wt, as a 3.6. A buddy has a Sage LL 7'9" 3wt that rates as a 3.5! Viewed together, the Sage is slightly faster. For small streams I'd probably use a 4 on both of 'em.
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:03 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Jim, I have one of the Orvis 7'9" 5wt's and I get roughly the same ERN that you do. Many glass rods spec out the same way.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:32 pm • # 12 

I also use the common cents system. I recently built a 3 pc 7' lamiglas fiberglass rod. I wanted to lower the ERN of the rod and I assumed that shortening the blank at the butt section would give me a lower ERN. To my surprise, the opposite happened and it took more pennys to deflect the blank 1/3 of its length. I asked why this happened on another rodbuilding forum and i recieved this answer from a very reputable rod builder:

There are some blanks that possess more power in their mid sections than in their butt sections. It's not common, but they're out there and often found in shorter, light line weight blanks. So if you're trimming from the butt you may actually be removing a less powerful portion of the blank and will find the blank to become stouter without a foot or so from the butt.

With that being said, the only way to know how the blank will change by dropping the butt section would be to take the common cents measurements on the blank minus the butt section. Here is a link that fully explains the common cents system: http://www.common-cents.info/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:41 am • # 13 

I just go by FEEL. I am not sure why it is, but a longer rod always feels easier to load than a short one- especially in graphite.

Although, if you just look at the TadPole (Forecast E-glass spinning blanks as an example)- the 6.5 and 6' rods seem to load much easier than the 5' blank and they all have a similar rating. I think it's the lack of length that makes the 5' blank FEEL stiffer.

I have yet to find a multi-piece rod that needed a lighter weight line to make it work after dropping a butt section. Even without a line on it, the shorter rod just ends up FEELING stiffer- perhaps that is because there is now less length and a shorter lever. Maybe a really fast rod that bends mostly in the upper section might not be affected this way, but softer moderate action rods that load into the butt section seem to feel stiffer.

I take a very unscientific approach to all of this- so please take this info as my own findings. Not sure if they mean anything to anyone or if they are helpful.

Thanks,

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:04 pm • # 14 

Lou, fly fishing is all about feeling, so you may be on to something there!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:31 am • # 15 

Okay; I took the 8' 7 piece 5 weight stowaway; eliminated the two butt sections and built a nice little 5' pack rod for spinning. I'll get some pics of it later. My initial reaction is that it will cast line in the 6# to 8#. Its a very light rod with more backbone than I thought initially. I think it is too powerful for 4# use unless the reel had a super nice drag system. Its not a fly rod, but the concept is the same. I will also check the ERN when I am finished with it. The person I'm making it for has plenty of pack fly rods, but wanted a pack spin rod for those mountain lakes and streams where fly casting was difficult-p-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:02 pm • # 16 

the finished pack spin rod had a length of 5'10". It tested 4.90 ERN. which is in the range of a 4 weight; however 1 additional penny-weight would have pushed it to 5.05. I took the ERN of the rod without guides in the complete 8.5 length and it was about 5.5, so eliminating the two butt pieces of the 7 piece rod reduced the ERN by about half a rod size; probably not enough to say it reduced it a rod weight. If someone has an 8.5 foot seven piece stowaway with guides and grip/reelseat, I would like to know the ERN. I think the guides would make a difference; testing just the blank without the build will, I think vary a little.-p-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:54 am • # 17 

Although a big fan of CCS, I think Lou has described my experience. Particularly with bamboo, I mock up all rods to see if shortening the lower section of the blank 6" makes for a better casting rod. In bamboo, there is a usually a pronounced swell in the last 12" of the blank. Removing that swell creates a more limber rod. But it may or may not improve the casting characteristics. Of course the butt section is now shorter than the tip section if you take off 6". This is known as a "staggered ferrule rod".

With graphite, dropping the lower section of a multi-piece section does something similiar. But of course there is a ferrule not very far from the grip that has an influence whether you drop a section or not. I would strongly suggest that you mock up the blank with the grip right at the tip end of the original butt section. This places a ferrule right at the winding check of the grip. This is an excellent place for a ferrule to fall and has the added advantage of being nearly invisible when assembled. You now have a detachable handle section shorter than the other sections, because you will cut off the butt end to that is lies underneath the real seat. Sometimes the stripper falls naturally at the next ferrule up, and so looks clean as well.

If you can get a second butt section, you can build a spinning handle on that one and carry both in the backpack. Don

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:08 am • # 18 

That is cool Don! Neat idea. That's why we call you the DOCTOR(DP commercial)-p-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:29 pm • # 19 

Well, I would prefer to be known as the "Doctor of Love", but evidently I don't qualify. Since you have the expertise Gene, you want that female ferrule to be just a hair shy of touching the grip with the sections joined. That way you don't see that male tip until you dissassemble the rod. A flat spot right ahead of the grip (the ferrule) is a good thing, as it keeps the flex from going down into the handle, which departs less from the manufacturer's original taper than dropping the entire section. Since the next ferrule is farther away then it would be by dropping a section, the stripper also falls in the right place on a female ferrule (at least sometimes). Hey, with all this talk of male, female, and strippers, maybe I should give that "Love Doctor" business another try. Don

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:26 pm • # 20 

I built a bamboo rod just as you described for a guy in New Mexico; but i goofed. I used a piece of fiberglass for the handle, reelseat, and ferrule that flexed down into the cork; it should have been much stiffer. i bet he's still cussing me-p-

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply