It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Sad day with my Echo 3wt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:33 pm • # 1 

Hey guys! Long time member, but haven't been here in awhile.

I went fishing the other day and somehow snapped off the last 2 or 3 inches of the end of my Echo 3wt that I've had for maybe 15 years. I lost the last guide and the tip top guide.

I guess I don't have many options if I want to continue to fish it do I? Get a new tip top and wrap it to the end and see what happens.......any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:36 am • # 2 
Administrator

David
welcome back!
I'd contact Echo to see if they have some sort of warranty- and if they do they might be like TFO and replace tip section for a small fee. Otherwise your 3WT will now be more a a short 4/5, but you've built rods before and it can be fixed that way too.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:18 am • # 3 

Hey Les!

Thanks and it's good to "see" some old familiar faces. Hard to believe this place has been around almost 12 years!

Thanks for the good advice about contacting the manufacturer. I'll do that. I still have my Dorber 1wt. Doesn't look like they are making blanks anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:25 am • # 4 
Administrator

Yep- not much on Dorber, but they were good too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:38 pm • # 5 

armyflyfisher wrote:
I went fishing the other day and somehow snapped off the last 2 or 3 inches of the end of my Echo 3wt that I've had for maybe 15 years. I lost the last guide and the tip top guide.

Sounds like more than 3" if you got the next guide on the break. The 4/5 wt repair and "reclassification" might work well. According to your post history, you do fish spinning tackle as well so this could be a conversion build. May make an interesting spinning rod if you care to put in the effort, but it does require a bit of work.

Either way, it's a good carry along for longer trips when you might want a spare outfit back at the vehicle in case of accidents on main rig.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:22 pm • # 6 

Well, OK. I actually measured the tip section that broke off. I guess my eyes aren't very well calibrated!

Actually about 6 inches broke off. Just wiggling it around it still feels fairly light with good action at the tip. I think I'll get a new tip-top guide and wrap it on and fish it like a 3wt and see what happens.

Really sucks, I really like this little rod.

On Echo's website, they list rods that they support for broken sections. Unfortunately mine is not on the list, which doesn't surprise me given that the rod is probably 15 years old.

I'd include a picture, but I haven't been on Photobucket in years. Didn't they go to a fee based system? I know they were free when I used to post photos years ago.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:51 pm • # 7 
Administrator

use Postimages- although they've been banned on the other forum- it's works here and is free.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply