It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Replacing a tip top
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:50 am • # 1 

Hey guys,

I broke the last 4 1/4 " off the end of my Echo 3wt. Warranty is not an option, and I don't wanna just throw the rod away. So, since it's getting cold here and not much to do fishing wise, I was thinking of fitting a tip top guide on it and continue to use it, and just see how it fishes.

I don't have a micrometer, or any easy way to measure the diameter of the end of the rod.

How can I figure out which size tip top to get so that I can buy a new tip top and get this rod back into rotation?

Post subject: Re: Replacing a tip top
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:12 pm • # 2 

armyflyfisher wrote:
Hey guys,

I broke the last 4 1/4 " off the end of my Echo 3wt. Warranty is not an option, and I don't wanna just throw the rod away. So, since it's getting cold here and not much to do fishing wise, I was thinking of fitting a tip top guide on it and continue to use it, and just see how it fishes.

I don't have a micrometer, or any easy way to measure the diameter of the end of the rod.

How can I figure out which size tip top to get so that I can buy a new tip top and get this rod back into rotation?

It isn't going to be nearly as accurate as a micrometer or calipers, but if you have a good accurate metal ruler you could try to eyeball it to the nearest half millimeter which is probably close enough. If that is a fast action rod you'll probably find losing 4 inches will probably have made it even faster.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:05 pm • # 3 

I bought a caliper at Harbor Freight for a few bucks. Or, just carry the the rod tip into a hardware store and ask to use the caliper if they are not packaged. The one at Harbor Freight was not packaged.

If anyone reading this post has the same rod and a caliper they could make the measurement for you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:05 pm • # 4 

JimRed wrote:
I bought a caliper at Harbor Freight for a few bucks. Or, just carry the the rod tip into a hardware store and ask to use the caliper if they are not packaged. The one at Harbor Freight was not packaged.

If anyone reading this post has the same rod and a caliper they could make the measurement for you.

Good ideas. The rod is an Echo 7'6 3 wt from like 2005.

I'll probably just use a metal ruler and eyeball it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:28 pm • # 5 

Tiptops are cheap. If you measure like that then buy one of the size you think is right, plus one a size smaller and one a size larger, you'll probably have it covered.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:38 am • # 6 

lka wrote:
armyflyfisher wrote:
Hey guys,

It isn't going to be nearly as accurate as a micrometer or calipers, but if you have a good accurate metal ruler you could try to eyeball it to the nearest half millimeter which is probably close enough. If that is a fast action rod you'll probably find losing 4 inches will probably have made it even faster.

It actually is going to be slower in action, but increase power

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:59 pm • # 7 

I have a little plastic gauge they sell that I've used quite a few times.

This was in an old mudhole catalog. If you want I can mail it to you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:17 am • # 8 

SWCR wrote:
It actually is going to be slower in action, but increase power

Right on!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:37 am • # 9 

strummer wrote:
I have a little plastic gauge they sell that I've used quite a few times.

This was in an old mudhole catalog. If you want I can mail it to you.

Thank you!! That's really generous, but I think I'll take Pampas Pete's advice and buy a range of sizes and use the one that fits.....and save the rest for possible future use!

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply