It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Lost One Today!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:13 pm • # 1 

Like Hipshot, I broke the tip on my CGR 2 weight this morning and am really not sure how I accomplished this! :-\ I have used it regularly and enjoy fishing it, but as of now will not be replacing in with a new one from Cabela’s. $80.00 is a little steep I think for this rod.

Instead I have Strip the furniture off the rod and plan to use it on a Green Rainshadow Unity Blank 6’6” 2 weight 4 piece. I purchased the blank as a present to self after Christmas!

Hopefully I can somehow save the grip and if not I have some wine and champagne cork to make a new one, while using the reel seat rings too.

Wish me the best with this project!

Enjoy and Be Safe!

Post subject: Re: Lost One Today!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:26 pm • # 2 

Let's see if I can make a suggestion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:31 pm • # 3 

Having had some experience with such things, I dare say that you’d be better off just building up a new grip and reel seat. You can probably get the sliding rings off by cutting down that protuberance at the butt end, thus using the same rings. If you just set the entire butt section, as well as the broken tip, in the closet you may find a use for them in the future. You can possibly use the broken tip for stents, and who knows what use for the butt section or reel seat and grip will come up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:52 pm • # 4 

PampasPete wrote:
You can possibly use the broken tip for stents, and who knows what use for the butt section or reel seat and grip will come up.

Actually, the butt section will make a very handy line winder/line transfer tool for other rigs. Very appreciated when sizing lines and backing levels for reels.

Rodbuilding rule: Don't try to reuse cork. While doable, the end result and fit tends to be rather sucky and requires heavy epoxy use (or heavy blank material in there if slid on).

Gill Guy...you're already inclined to rodbuilding, might as well groove with it and pick-up some cork rings and reelseats. It's worth it, you obviously get your use out of flytackle.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply