It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:10 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Here is another one of my builds, It's an American tackle Matrix 6'6" 2wt. I used chrome lite wire snakes, Golden Witch half wells grip, and a Struble D2 downlocking cap and ring seat with a Teak insert. The wraps are dark green tipped with metallic copper.

Jeremy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:14 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Very cool. Have you tried any of the Forecast blanks?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:22 pm • # 3 

Nice, J, your work is incredible!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:23 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Les, no I haven't built on the Forecast blanks yet, but I would like to get around to building one over the winter.

Jeremy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:25 pm • # 5 
Administrator

flyflingerandy1 wrote:
Nice, J, is that THE rod?

That's the one I said I would send you yeah. I still have to fix the clear coat issue, and re-wrap the guides.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:37 pm • # 6 

Cool...we will have to get together and hit some creeks pretty soon!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:28 pm • # 7 

jeremy, how does the action of the matrix compare to other 6'6"-2 weights?I have made the pacbay, batson, H&H, etc. but have never made a rod from the matrix blank-p-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:42 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Gene, the matrix blank looks nice, and is poker straight. I've done CCS numbers on both the Matrix and my Pac Bay. Both rods have an AA of 55, making them slow full flex rods. ERN's on the rods are different. Both rods are 2wts although the Pac Bay specs a bit lower, you could probably get way with using a DT1 on the Pac Bay.
The Matrix has just a bit more power, and feels a bit faster than the Pac Bay even though they have the same Action Angle number. That may be because of the carbon weave that is wrapped over the butt section of the Matrix.
As for feel, the Matrix has none. I can't really feel it load and I can't feel fish on it that well. To me the Pac Bay wins hands down, as I can feel it load and feel fish on the other end.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:05 pm • # 9 

Hmmm.......wonder if that's true across the board - the Pacific Bay blanks being slower.....I was thinking and planning a heavier weight rod build this winter.......something along the lines of a 5 wt....maybe I need to shift directions and build a 1 wt?

David

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:35 pm • # 10 
Administrator

David, the actions on the Pac Bay's seem to get up into the medium/ medium fast range when you go up to the longer 5 and 6wt rods. They aren't all slow.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:02 pm • # 11 

David, build a one weight and get it over with! HAHA.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:34 am • # 12 

Where did you get that reel seat (struble d2s) with the black hardware? I recently built a fiberglass lami 7' 3pc 3wt and I used the D2s seat with nickle silver hardware because i couldnt find the black hardware. BTW, i fish that rod with a dt 1wt line and it casts and fishes great.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:57 am • # 13 
Administrator

Moon12, Welcome to the forums. I purchased that seat at my local fly shop. They used to sell a good bit of rod building supplies, but they got out of that a few years back.
I was just rummaging through what little they have left and found the seat. You can get the black aluminum D2 from Anglers Workshop.
http://www.anglersworkshop.com/items.aspx?catid=2623 The D2BK is the black one.

Shoff Tackle also sells the black D2.
http://www.shofftackle.co...le_downlocking_light.html

Jeremy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:52 am • # 14 

jkurtz7 wrote:
Gene, the matrix blank looks nice, and is poker straight. I've done CCS numbers on both the Matrix and my Pac Bay. Both rods have an AA of 55, making them slow full flex rods. ERN's on the rods are different. Both rods are 2wts although the Pac Bay specs a bit lower, you could probably get way with using a DT1 on the Pac Bay.
The Matrix has just a bit more power, and feels a bit faster than the Pac Bay even though they have the same Action Angle number. That may be because of the carbon weave that is wrapped over the butt section of the Matrix.
As for feel, the Matrix has none. I can't really feel it load and I can't feel fish on it that well. To me the Pac Bay wins hands down, as I can feel it load and feel fish on the other end.

I've been looking at both blanks and was wondering about the actions. Thanks for the info. Do you have a preference on supplier?

J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:55 am • # 15 

Quote:
still getting the hang of this, looks like I posted in the wrong area.
Fly Chef wrote:

jkurtz7 wrote:

I've been looking at both blanks and was wondering about the actions. Thanks for the info. Do you have a preference on supplier?

J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:04 am • # 16 

Welcome Fly Chef. Your posts look good to me!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:09 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Fly Chef, your post is OK. I had purchased both the Matrix blank and the Pac Bay Tradition II 2wt kit at Hook & Hackle. That kit is one heck of a deal.
Here's the link. http://shop4.mailordercen...odinfo.asp?number=HHF6622
I don't like the Matrix at all, it has no feel during loading and unloading on the cast. I can't feel fish on it much either, there just isn't any sensitivity to the thing.
The Pac Bay 2wt is a much nicer blank in my opinion. I can feel it load on the cast, and you can definitely feel little fish on it. I like to do business with Anglers Workshop these days, and if you were looking for the Pac Bay blank only, they have it. http://www.anglersworkshop.com/items.aspx?catid=2244

Hope this helps,

J.

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply