It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Blank Comparison
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:49 am • # 1 

Looking for some comments on two blanks. I am looking at the 6 foot-2pece 3 weight blanks;
1. the tiger eye 6 foot 2 piece 3 weight
versus
2. the St Croix SCIII 6'-2 piece 3 weight blank
Anyone ever used either of these blanks?. I think the SCIII is the blank that the Avid rod series is built on. The critical numbers such as weight, butt, tip are basically the same. However, the St Croix costs almost 3x as much as the tiger eye.
Any thoughts, experience would be appreciated-p-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:29 am • # 2 

I bought the little tiger eye. Weight the same, tip the same; butt size is a little smaller on the tiger eye; so.......Also, Just a heads up but Black Dog Tackle has the 6 foot 2/3 weight in a 4 piece-p-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:37 am • # 3 

Sounds like a neat rod...Let us know how you like it...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:39 am • # 4 

I'm building it for a guy to fish the high country for them pretty little spotted fish!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:32 am • # 5 
Administrator

Gene, I had thought about getting one of those blanks in the past, but since it's really a 3/4 rod I passed it up. Dan Craft handles the Tiger Eye blanks. You could also buy direct from Sevier, and save money, but you have to make a minimum $50.00 order or get charged a fee. http://store.seviermfg.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:03 am • # 6 

yeah; and I have heard its a 3/4, not a 2/3 but I've found that to be irrevelant since most rods are not what they say they are anyway. You can make a 3 a 2 by using a 4 weight line. HA! The main thing is for it to have some nice flex in the tip. I heard these rod blanks had a big butt but the st coix sc3 shows to be larger at the butt than the tiger eye. That is wierd since the sc3 is a very slim little rod. Anyway, we'll see. I also ordered the 4 piece 6 foot 2 weight blank just to see how it performs-p-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:10 am • # 7 
Administrator

Be sure to post a performance report, I know I can trust yours. I've seen many different things about it on the net, and well, I don't know. The consensus among others is that it's really a 3/4. The CSS data I've seen isn't consistent either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:41 pm • # 8 

pearow wrote:
I bought the little tiger eye.
Gene,

What colors are you going to use for the thread wraps on your Tiger Eye blank?

I just bought one of their 7'6" blanks with the idea of using just the top three sections to make a short rod. Now that the blank has arrived, I see it has a lot more red in the finish than the golden brown that Siever's website shows. That makes me question my original plan to use tan thread for the single foot wraps and black trim rings.

Also, how the rod looks right now under artificial light will probably be very different than tomorrow morning outside in the sunshine. My guides, reel seat, and reel will be black. So that theme should probably be repeated in the thread, either in the main wrap or the trim. But I'm not sure which direction I want to go with a second color.

Any suggestions? TIA, Charlie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:51 pm • # 9 

I think I will use medium brown gudebrod; havent decided whether or not to use a color preservative. I build a plain rod so the medium brown should blend well. However, if the rod is a little redder than the golden brown, I might use chestnut; which is a little deeper brown, leaning toward an auburn tint.
I'm thinking gold accent on the stripping guide and on the accent wrap where the logo goes, but I might use red if it leans more to that shade of brown.
Rust and garnet are two other colors that look good on a brown blank.
I love your idea of dropping the butt section and making a three piece short rod. I'm doing that on a 6'6"-2 weight batson blank. Havent cast it yet but it feels great-p-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:02 pm • # 10 

pearow wrote:
I love your idea of dropping the butt section and making a three piece short rod. I'm doing that on a 6'6"-2 weight batson blank. Havent cast it yet but it feels great-p-
It wasn't my idea in the sense that I was the first to think of it. I saw the idea in one of the rod-building forums and was intrigued. I was going to try doing it a year ago to a 4pc Batson blank. But the counter guy at Angler's Workshop talked me out of it, and I went with a 4pc 6'6" 2wt instead, the same blank you just built. I love the rod as a 2wt. It has plenty of muscle. But it's still too long for some of the creeks I'm fishing. (In fact, I fished another new one today on which my 7'6", 3wt was too much rod). Meanwhile, I've ordered a Tiger Eye 3/4wt blank (which I now have in hand) and another Batson 6'6" 2wt blank (still on its way), with the intention to truncate both of them.

Much thanks for your discussion of color options for threads. It helps me narrow down my choices. Charlie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:13 am • # 11 

Be sure you mock up the possibility of a detachable handle on the 4th section. If you put the female ferrule right against the cork grip you replace some of the swell in the taper. To be specific, the butt section of the blank has a swell that starts about 10 inches up from the butt to make the rod less parabolic. This is more pronounced in cane, but is engineered into many butt sections in glass and graphite. A rod that bends into the cork lacks this swell. When you build on the butt end of section 3 the seat and grip go over the female ferrule, eliminating use of the swell created by the ferrule. This means the blank down into the grip is relatively straight.

Another way of looking at this is you eliminated the power of the original butt section when you drop all of it and may screw up the action. A detachable handle on section 4 packs better than one mounted on section 3, because the 3 long sections can be stored in a slimmer tube when the diameter of the grip is of no concern. The handle can be carried separately. Don

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:36 am • # 12 

Zenkoanhead wrote:
Be sure you mock up the possibility of a detachable handle on the 4th section. If you put the female ferrule right against the cork grip, you replace some of the swell in the taper.... you eliminate the power of the original butt section when you drop all of it and may screw up the action.
Don, Much thanks for the heads up. I'll explore doing things just as you shrewdly suggest. Charlie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:51 am • # 13 

By the way, with a really fast action rod dropping the butt section entirely may produce a much sweeter action. You can test this easily by assembling the 4 sections and placing the tip on the ground. Deflect the rod and note the spot where the rod takes the the best bend. Now use only 3 sections. Does the bend move down to the center of the rod while leaving the third section relatively straight? If so, you may have a winner. If the 3 sections form a perfect parabola, you screwed up the action. Try it again holding the 4 section just below the female ferrule of the 3rd section. Result? Don

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:56 pm • # 14 

Zenkoanhead wrote:
Now use only 3 sections. Does the bend move down to the center of the rod while leaving the third section relatively straight? If so, you may have a winner.
Yep, just tried doing the floor bend. The third section (of my 4pc, 7'6", 3/4 wt Tiger eye blank) was straight. I'm thinking once I align the spines and get some guides wrapped on, the upper section --right now pretty flimsy- will stiffen up a bit.

OK, the blank came with alignment hash marks. At least I'm assuming that's what they are. The rod felt a whole lot better when they were aligned and the male-female fits snugged up a bit (but not too much, because they aren't wrapped yet). I'm also thinking to bypass a detachable handle. Just build with the top three sections. And there's no way the result will be the 3/4 designation of the whole. 2wt is closer to it, which would suit me just fine, because that's the size of creeks I'm fishing, the bugs I'm throwing (#12 hopper patterns), and trout I'm catching (nothing bigger than a hand span).

I ordered a Cortland DT 2wt Sylk line that I'm hoping will work with the rod, spooled onto my Okuma Magnitude 4/5. That's a bit heavy (at 3.7 oz), and I will probably have to buy one of Bob Dennison's Ultra Lights to get rid of some weight and size. But I love the one directional drag on that Okuma.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:32 am • # 15 
Administrator

Charlie, the Dennison is silent both ways, it doesn't have a pawl in it. Not sure if you knew that or not. The drag is just a friction block and only guards against spool over run while stripping line off. I've put a bluegill on mine once just to see what it was like, and he didn't strip any line off the reel. For small fish and light weight rods it's perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:34 pm • # 16 

jkurtz7 wrote:
Charlie, the Dennison is silent both ways, it doesn't have a pawl in it. Not sure if you knew that or not. The drag is just a friction block and only guards against spool over run while stripping line off. I've put a bluegill on mine once just to see what it was like, and he didn't strip any line off the reel. For small fish and light weight rods it's perfect.
ARRGH. I didn't know that. From reading the product specs on his website, I assumed there was a click drag and that it functioned in both directions. I've got a Martin Caddis Creel 61 reel like that, and I don't like to use the reel, even though it offers a fairly large arbor and a fairly low (3.1 oz) weight. The only time I put a fish on the reel is if I've unintentionally hooked into a bass and he's headed for the bottom. (Or a squaw fish, if I'm bored and hammering on them for casting practice.) Anything smaller gets handled the clumsy, awkward, two-handed way with coils of retrieved line falling on the deck or floating downstream.

Okuma has discontinued the Magnitude series, and the 4/5 (the smallest and lightest) is getting impossible to find, or being priced ridiculously high ($65 compared to the $40 or so I bought mine at). But compared to prices for higher-end reels, even $65 for a 3.7 oz reel wouldn't be bad, as the chart from Cabelas suggests. So, eventually, I am going to have to buy one of Bob's reels, just so I can see one and try it out. But, meanwhile, I'm sticking to what I know, which is Okuma, and I found a 5/6 (at 3.9 oz) for $44 with shipping. I'll put that reel into service with my 7'6" 3wt and use the 4/5 (at 3.7 oz) for my smaller rods.

The reason I'm hesitant to spring for one of Bob's reels is their small arbor. I don't need to put a lot of line on the reel. Typically, I'm using just half of a DT line, 20 feet of backing, and enough 1/8" foam wrapping material to increase the OD of the arbor shaft, so that the reel is full and line memory is decreased to the extent it can be on a reel with a standard-sized arbor.

What has been your experience with line memory on Bob's reels? Does their tiny size turn line into a screen-door spring?

http://www.cabelas.com/ca...urrent&columnIndex=7

Last edited by Charlie03 on Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:05 pm • # 17 
Administrator

I use Hook & Hackle brand lines, and they are very supple. Sure when you pull about 50 feet of line off the Dennison then you will get a bit of coiling on the back end of that 50 feet, but the Hook and hackle line doesn't have to be stretched like other lines do, and the coils work themselves out just from a bit of casting.
I hate line with memory problems and coils, but I don't have any issue with the Dennison and the Hook & Hackle line. With half a DT2 and backing to fill the Dennison I can't see having any issues if using a supple line.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:23 pm • # 18 

jkurtz7 wrote:
With half a DT2 and backing to fill the Dennison I can't see having any issues if using a supple line.
Thanks. That's good to know. The nexrt time I'm in the mood to spend money on more fishing gear, I'll get a Dennison reel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:40 am • # 19 

I just finished a tiger eye 4 piece, 6 foot, 2 weight rod. I used chestnut thread on the guides and color preservative. The chestnut looks beautiful on that tiger eye blank in my opinion. I'll take some pics, do the AA and ERN test on it and put it on a seperate thread. Hopefully, I'll be able to cast it later today.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:56 pm • # 20 

Charlie, to fill a small arbor spool you are better off using some #30 lb dacron. No issues with rigged foam arbors. The Dennison is pretty wide, so the upper part of the spooled line has little memory. Don

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply