It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Slide rings?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:24 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Does anyone know of a source for the narrow slide rings like the ones used on the Orvis Trout Bum rods? I'm looking for light and cheap. These are much narrower than the rings that come on most seats I've seen.

Thanks!

Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:36 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I'd like to know too.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:04 pm • # 3 

The last time I saw rings that small they were on a ice fishing outfit...May be a direction to search for some...Just a thought...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:20 pm • # 4 
Global Moderator

I was told you could buy them on ebay. Just buy cheap rings, and experiment with sizes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:24 pm • # 5 

For "light and cheap", why not use PVC?

Chuck a short section in a lathe, polish the OD, then part off any lengths you want, then deburr and lap them and polish some more. Other materials would give you different colors. But the principal would be the same. Polish the ring and ease its edges so it has custom-made look and doesn't scream: "jerry-rigged shortcut".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:21 pm • # 6 
Administrator

They look kinda like black zip ties to me. But I like them.
Charlie03 wrote:
"jerry-rigged shortcut".
Might be kinda hard to avoid that, eh JDub? Image
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:49 pm • # 7 
Administrator

CBarclay wrote:
Charlie03 wrote:
"jerry-rigged shortcut".
Might be kinda hard to avoid that, eh JDub? Image
Story of my life Image

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:52 pm • # 8 

I never have found those. Rush rods has some aluminum rings that are nice, but wider. Don

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:19 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Charlie03 wrote:
For "light and cheap", why not use PVC?

Chuck a short section in a lathe, polish the OD, then part off any lengths you want, then deburr and lap them and polish some more. Other materials would give you different colors. But the principal would be the same. Polish the ring and ease its edges so it has custom-made look and doesn't scream: "jerry-rigged shortcut".
I've actually toyed with the idea of finding some copper tubing with the correct ID and then drilling out a wood blank to accept the tubing. The blank could then be turned to a diameter just slight larger than the copper and sliced into sections. Giving the impression of wood slide rings but with the strength of metal. The same thing might be possible with PVC. Hmmm...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:31 am • # 10 
Administrator

Don, thanks for the suggestion. Rush River Rods has the nice slide bands, but they are nickle silver and expensive. I can buy a whole Struble D2 for the same price as the RRR Slide bands. Bummer.

Orvis no doubt has those skinny bands made just for them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:41 am • # 11 

Just call Orvis customer service and order them. They're $4 apiece, last I checked.
-CC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:58 am • # 12 

jdub wrote:
I've actually toyed with the idea of finding some copper tubing with the correct ID and then drilling out a wood blank to accept the tubing. The blank could then be turned to a diameter just slight larger than the copper and sliced into sections. Giving the impression of wood slide rings but with the strength of metal. The same thing might be possible with PVC. Hmmm...
Your idea of using a metal insert/bushing to lend strength to wood (so it wouldn't split along the grain line) would be one way to go. Also, some woods have interlocking grain and don't easily split. (Of course, that feature would also make them hard to turn.) Also, soaking the ring in the sort of marine epoxies used in boat building would greatly strengthen the wooden ring, maybe even enough to avoid the need for an insert. But I still think that if "light-weight and cheap" are the prime objectives, some version of plastic piping is the way to go. It is easy to machine, easy to polish, and deforms without breaking, meaning it could be slipped over the foot of the reel fairly easily.

RE: "jerry-rigged" Sorry about my poor choice of words to describe roughly-finished (but often cleverly-done) work. It wasn't my intent to cast any aspersions. Where the term came from for me was in connection to using PVC pipe to make rod tubes. A 10' stick of 1-1/2 PVC pipe is only a couple of bucks. Two end caps add another $0.75 or so to the project. Voila. A rod tube that has the advantage of being strong, light-weight, and won't heat up from sunlight the way a darker-colored material would, such as high-end, canvas-covered rod tubes that are invariably green, brown or black. OTOH, unadorned PVC rod tubes scream "jerry-rigged".

But if an effort is made to polish the surface of the tube with increasingly finer grits of emery paper, the product markings and discolorations can be removed and a matte finish results that would be perfect for doing scrimshaw with brown or black ink. Then the tube could become a canvas for one's imagination. The result would still be "jerry-rigged", but in the best sense of the word. The solution would be cheap and off-the-shelf, but personalized in a way that becomes priceless. Sometime, when you're at the library, find a book on scrimshaw. Polished PVC can be made to look like ivory/whale teeth, and the whole of the tube wouldn't need to be detailed. But if the artwork were properly done, it would provoke a double-take when a person who saw the tube realized what has been done. "Oooh, clever, very nice " is the comment I'd expect to hear. "Can you make me one like that?"

Seriously, converting PVC pipe into personalized rod tubes is a cottage industry just waiting to happen.

Last edited by Charlie03 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:52 am • # 13 

I provide pvc rod tubes for all the rods i build. I make the tubes out of 1-1/2 black pvc I get a Lowe's. I use a test cap for the bottom of the rod and a female fitting with a screw cap for the top. The screw cap is male and screws into a female with threads. I clean off the writing with acetone and the entire tube assembled is less than $5. I also use the white thin wall water pipe and/or the gray electrical pvc when the black is not available. They dont look as good as the cordura cases but the PRICE IS RIGHT!!!-p-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:28 am • # 14 
Administrator

The idea of copper slide rings is very intriguing. Does anyone have experience with this idea or any pics?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:19 am • # 15 
Administrator

cross creek one wrote:
Just call Orvis customer service and order them. They're $4 apiece, last I checked.
-CC
Thanks CC! I just saw your reply. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:41 pm • # 16 

you can't beat the orvis rings; they look and feel kinda like plastic, but theyre not; some very tough stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:28 pm • # 17 

Jerry,
Let me know if they're not selling them anymore. I may be able to find a couple in the disaster area I call my rod building bench. You do have to ask for a rod-building consultant to discuss the purchase, and specify which rings you want--"One ounce" style, the slightly larger rings from the Ultrafine and Tippet, or the stainless knurled rings from the 60's-80's bamboo and graphite rods. I doubt that they're selling the champagne/gold rings from the new Ion Helios rods yet, but it can't hurt to ask, if they appeal to you.
-CC

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply