It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Olive wrapping thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:15 am • # 1 
Anyone know where I can find some size A olive or dark olive wrapping thread? having trouble finding it.
Janus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:19 am • # 2 

You might check the madeira line of thread in the Mudhole catalog; they have a large color selection; but you have to use color preservative with it-p-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:30 am • # 3 

I don't know if you can use silk or not but this likes a pretty good deal:

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?&t=19926

Doug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:22 am • # 4 
Thanks...Maybe silk. Never wrapped with silk. Got a 6'6" PacBay Tradition II 2wt coming it is matte grey and like the way olive looks with that. Can silk work on graphite? I know nothing about using it. But, always loved the way it looked.
Janus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:43 am • # 5 

You bet.......You can use silk on any rod material, it's not just for boo. I have used it on glass and graphite as well as bamboo rods that I have built. If you like the translucent wraps, just thin your rod epoxy ( I use flex-coat light) 50% with denatured alcohol and the silk will go translucent. Follow up with normal coats of varnish or epoxy. You can read about all the tricks and tips here. For transparent wraps, just use white silk thread. Don't shy away from silk thread, it's very easy to get some cool effects. You can see some translucent wraps that I have done here. Hope this helps.

Doug

Last edited by Glass Stixs on Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:08 am • # 6 
Nice work!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:36 am • # 7 

Anglers Workshop has Gudebrod nylon A thread in olive (#1892), and house brand (probably YLI) silk A in Granger green (turns olive w/o color preserver), lt olive, and dk olive. Check their website.
-CC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:42 am • # 8 

Be aware that silk olive thread on a dark blank will go almost black. That said, a terrific color for bamboo blanks. Hunter's green is probably a better bet with graphite. I don't use CP so take my advice accordingly. If you haven't started a thread stick, you should. Take a section of unused rod and wrap a test on it and finish with whatever you use. Use a sharpie [on bamboo anyway] to record the data as you will otherwise forget. On the subject of silk thread #50 is thicker than #100, but not as thick as size A. I use #50 almost exclusively, but if you have the opportunity, get the same color in #100 and you can use the finer thread for the tips. My favorite silk is Janome, but not in all colors. Don

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply