It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Premium cork
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:46 am • # 1 

Ok so I bet this question has been asked a thousand times...but I shall ask it again. Where is the best and most reliable source for small quantities of premium CG1 grade cork rings? (http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/corkscale.pdf). I have paid a fortune in the past for supposedly premium grade cork only to find that it was nothing more than bad CG2 grade cork.

Your views would b.e appreciated

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:08 pm • # 2 

Ask Pearow to post a pix of a grip wet sanded/varnished. Then you can have supergrade grips. Don

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:26 pm • # 3 

you post one Don; you taught me!!! But to answer your question; theyre kinda like lumber; #1 grade A is hard to find; thats why we went to finishing our grips; well, one of the reasons anyway. I dont think you can buy premum rings anymore. My theory is Sage, orvis, Scott, and the big boys in rod construction buy all the good stuff, which is in very limited supply-p-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:02 pm • # 4 

Orvis grips as a whole are junk...there are some nice grips on their higher end rods, but even on some of the Superfines, the grips are junk. Scott grips have a lot of filler too!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:33 pm • # 5 
Administrator

There is no way to know who or where to buy the best cork from, it's always a crap shoot. Just my opinion.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:28 pm • # 6 
Administrator

I was told a few years ago that the wine makers get the best cork. They're a huge customer and demand the top stuff--voids in a wine cork render it useless. Rod building is just a tiny drop in the bucket in comparison. I don't know how true it is but at least it gives us someone to blame :-)

I agree with J--it really is a crap shoot. I've purchased batches of cork rings that were gorgeous, and a month later bought more from the same place and they were horrible. I also tried purchasing pre-built Struble "premium" grips and they weren't any better than the cheaper stuff. There was a custom rod builder in Austin for a while who would let me pick through his cork rings when I bought blanks from him. He always had a few big boxes of it and I could count on getting a nice grip that way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:52 pm • # 7 

Yip, so you guys too have had the same problems as me. I once contacted a supplier of cork in Portugal (apparently the same supplier to sage???) who was prepared to sell me rings. Problem is you have to take a minimum of 1000 rings at like $1.00 a pop. Clearly this was not an option for me so I placed an order with a well known shop in the US and waited 6 months for them to gather top grade cork for me. Make no mistake there were some premium rings but there the batch was just not consistent! Perhaps the answer is to use less natural cork and include some burl and maybe even rubber into the grip in order to avoid grips with massive pits.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:16 am • # 8 
Administrator

Yep Jerry is right, the winemakers get all the best cork, everyone else is secondary at best. I don't turn my own grips yet but when I start I will probably just go with a burl cork. Not nearly as much of a crap shoot that way.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:41 am • # 9 

No digital camera P. Please post a pix. Maybe one with a tinted finish too. The guys do not know what they are missing. Don

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:37 pm • # 10 

just a few; maybe there's one good pic in the bunch; I'm not a good photographer-p-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:41 pm • # 11 

P and Don.....

\What does that make the cork feel like?.....slick?.....hard???

I like the "soft" feel of cork......does the varh=nish change that?

I like the looks of it a lot!

David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:10 pm • # 12 

not slick at all; in fact it is less slippery than straight cork; when it gets wet, it is easier to grip. Yeah, I didn't believe it either. Some of those are done with Miniwax, colonial maple stain; the last pic was of an old rod with very cheap cork; very old and brittle cork; the treatment actually gave life back to the old grip. A couple that appear to have no stain are done with true-oil; one coat of true oil, sanded wet with 300,500,600,1000, then 1200; then another very light coat after the sanding is my favorite way to treat them; the cork seems to be softer, almost velvety in feel. I learned all this from Don, who is the Master; I'm just a "grasshopper"-p-

Last edited by pearow on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:13 pm • # 13 

Thanks P.

david

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:42 am • # 14 

I generally use my all purpose General Arm-R-Seal for grips, although Tru-oil is excellent for the purpose. You can add a little stain to a medicine cup of Arm-R-Seal or other varnish and get a very light tint to the cork. It is like putting the cork under a soft filter camera lens. It softens out all the grain and filled pits. I will put multiple coats on a grip to change its color. Be advised that you can stop wet sanding at 600 unless you want a perfectly smooth grip. Don't use multiple coats of Tru-oil as it is too yellow. After all the coats are dry I mask off the hardware and buff hard with 0000 steel wool. Thanks for the pix P. Don

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:56 am • # 15 

where do you get the general arm-R-Seal?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:15 am • # 16 

Where do you get the true oil?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:19 am • # 17 
Administrator

David, Tru-oil is Birchwood Casey's gun stock finish. You should be able to get it at some of the better outdoor retailers locally, or a gun shop should have it. I used to use it to seal my wood arrows when I was really into traditional archery, good stuff. You can use it to seal wooden reel seat inserts as well.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:39 pm • # 18 

Woodcrafter's for the Arm-R-Seal. It is a wipe on varnish. I use it for everything. Don

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:19 pm • # 19 
I used Thompson waterseal on the bamboo burl grip and it darkened it a bit but I really liked the results.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:47 pm • # 20 

you can get true-oil at wal-mart; gun section

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply