It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: how many wraps?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:05 pm • # 1 
How many wraps do you like to do before you reach the foot of the guide? Just wondering what everyone was doing. The ones I just fishished might be too long I did 6 up to the guide. But sometimes I look at it and I it looks perfect to me. It's like an optical illusion...good..no bad...yes good.
Janus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:09 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I measure my wraps with a piece of card stock that I cut. I then place some masking tape at that mark and start the wrap there. I only count wraps if I do tipping wraps.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:26 pm • # 3 

I change the number. The ones at the tip start about two wraps prior to the foot. As I proceed down the blank I add wraps because the blank diameter is greater in proportion to the foot length and hence the wraps look shorter and shorter if you keep a constant number. On the butt, the wraps may be as long as the foot itself. The overall effect is one of symmetry. I do have to rewrap on occassion, BUT you can compress a wrap by roughly 20% with your burnishing tool with even pressure. This will quickly shorten a slightly long wrap. Don

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:47 pm • # 4 

I do about 3-4 wraps at the butt section guide wraps and about 2-3 at the tip section if possible. I then burnish and end up with nice short lead onto the guide foot.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:01 pm • # 5 

Well I was taught early on in the 50s that the wrap for a foot should start 4 turns before the foot. Likewise if fancy trim wrap extensions were to be add such as the old style glass spiral wraps, that because of declining diameters nearest the rod tip, that a percentage of the total wrap from the foot to the spiral or trim should be expressed in a comparative percentage of the total length, so it wouldnt matter if the wrap was for the stripper or number one guide. Example 15 or 20% of the length from the total foot to the start added for the trim.
Richard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:34 am • # 6 

I try to use 3 wraps before the foot simply because i tighten the wraps after two wraps have crossed over the original wrap; but I have no eye for detail so sometimes its more, sometimes its less, which is probably why my rods are sold so cheap; I'm not very good at aesthetics; to me fewer is better, but I kinda like those old glass rod wraps where they start way back, do some spirals, and then arrive at the foot; kinda cool but adds weaight to the rod thats unneccessary.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply