It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:20 pm • # 1 

Hi guys,
As I alluded to in my "welcome" post I have recently become the proud owner of a Sage TXL-F 000 blank that I intend to build soon. Just wondering if anybody on the forum has any experience with a custom build on these rods that they would like to share? The blank came with a "standard" component kit but after checking it out I have decided that if I am going to build this rod I might a well try and make it a bit special!
Currently I am planning to try and aquire a downlocking cap and ring style reel seat with bronze hardware (to match the Sage Click series  reel that I intend to run on the rod). I like this style of seat as I have a Struble D-2NS  with a teak insert on my TXL 2710 that i built a while back, but unfortunately Struble dont appear to make a bronze colour.  I have looked at some photos of Lemke Concepts reel seats on the net that look the goods but am currently waiting to hear back from potential suppliers on availability and sizing. I particularly like the look of the mortised style wood seat with the cork insert, just not sure if they are going to be small enough for this rod. Are there any other reel seats that I should be considering?
With the cork I am planning to try and match the Sage factory style grip. Had a "feel" of one of these on a 000 that a friend owns and liked it but am also open to others opinions on this.
As for the guides I might try and stay with the bronze colour and get some Pac Bay English Bronze single footers. Are these guides too heavy for this rod and should I be looking towards Titanium guides? Also, does anybody know of a stripping guide that would match the English Bronze colour?
Binding colour? Not really sure yet, the factory rod with the dark brown thread with silver trim bands looks okay.

Looking forward to your opinions on this build.

Cheers
Peter 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:52 pm • # 2 

I would consider a NS guide and reel hardware with a little bronzing agent to get the color. It is very hard to get a bronze color though. Usually a pewter color is about as close as it gets. Don't know about the Lemke. Tich is a decent match for the bronze PBs which are great in a single foot guide. You can use Tich lite wires as well. I might go with a maroon for the wraps. Do not care for tipping. Don

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:36 pm • # 3 

I built my dad a TXL-0 wt and used an REC AUSL uplocking seat. went perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:37 pm • # 4 

David Gale has a REC AUSL on his DC 00. Don

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:28 pm • # 5 

Zenkoanhead wrote:
David Gale has a REC AUSL on his DC 00. Don

here is a photo:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:30 pm • # 6 

MerseyFly, tell me where to get a 000 blank...please...just fished my newly built 00 Sage TXL and now need another project. Thanks for the help. ANYBODY.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply