It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:52 pm • # 1 

I want to start rod building. I think I wanna do a shorter (less than 9 feet) ultralight rod. I don't have any equipment, knowledge, or skill of the art. Pretty much flies is where my only hope lies at this point.

Keep in mind, this will be my first attempt!!! So, the questions...

What blanks are there that are fairly inexpensive, yet decent to fish and will last?
What accessories fit the same category?
What is the ESSENTIAL equipment for the job?

Of course, I could just find a friend that will give me rods that they makeImage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:59 pm • # 2 

I would begin by ordering Anglers Workshop's catalog. The blanks range from $20 or so, up to $300 for a Sage TXL. You can get a good 2wt from a PacBay 6'6" 2wt blank, cork ring seats and grip, and single color wraps.

Check out L.A. Garcia's book! I forget the title, but it is supposedly a great book! I too, want to learn to build, and might dedicate some of this winter to that!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:09 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Rod building can be intimidating at first, but it's really easy. All your doing is assembling components. The best advice I can give you at first, is that you buy a book on rod building. The book by LA Garcia is a good one.
http://www.amazon.com/Han...qid=1227157085&sr=1-1

I bought this book before I jumped into rod building and it helped me out a lot. It tells you everything you need to know. You don't need a bunch of tools either.

As for blanks, you can buy an imported blank like the Batson Forecast blanks for cheap. They are decent quality too. This way if you do mess something up, your not out a lot of money.
http://www.anglersworkshop.com/items.aspx?catid=2240

As for reels seats, cork, guides and wraps, it's all about what you like as far as looks. I will tell you though, do not skimp on guides. Not all fly guides are equal. Some are just downright garbage. Trust me, I learned the hard way. Stay with high quality guides like Hopkins & Holloway, Snake Brand, or Fuji (fuji's are single foot guides with ceramic inserts). I'll be happy to help you along or answer any questions when your ready to get started.

Jeremy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:14 pm • # 4 

J, I will have a laundry list of things to ask, when I get around to building my 0wt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:31 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Andy, I'm sure you will. I can walk you through stuff over the phone though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:40 pm • # 6 

I hope I don't have to pick up too many new tools or anything!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:27 am • # 7 
Administrator

I'd like to add here that you can also buy complete rod building kits that come with everything you need. While most kits aren't always ideal, they are a good way to go for many first time builders.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:02 pm • # 8 

One of the easiest books to learn rod building is from flex Coat. It is very basic and easy to follow. After having taught a couple of rod building classes, the hardest part I have seen, is to just get people to do it. Once they start, they either love it or hate it, so far no one has hated it. As for tools, it is going to depend on your budget. I would watch ebay and get a wrapper and a dryer, or get a kit as mentioned by Jeremy. A wrapper and dryer will both will keep the frustration to a minimum and give you a better finished product. You can get by with less, but I would bet that you will continue to build. out of 18 people I have taught, ALL have done multiple rods, most start planning their second or third rod wile building their first. Just do yourself a favor, buy an inexpensive blank to start with. Also keep in mind that some companies have tutorial on their web sites, I think Mudhole has a good one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:24 pm • # 9 

Don't be intimidated by "building" a rod. It really isn't that hard. I built my frist rod in April of this year, and I was surprised that it was so easy. I really think that the hardest part was getting over the trepidation and actually just doing it. AND...I'm certainly no handy man.

Check this site out...... http://www.rodbuildingfor...www.rodbuildingforum.com/ ....there are lots of pinned tutorials that explain in easy to understand language how to do everything.

The only "equipment" that I bought was a reamer/file to enlarge the bore of the cork and insert at the local Home Depot. I made a wrapper out of a cardboard box with V notches cut into the ends and used a bobbin with the thread running under a book for tension control....the dryer was "me" (I turned it as prescribed by hand - not a big deal).....I went a little crazy even and customized my grip with a drill turned into a lathe!

Before I started I practiced wrapping thread on a 1/4" wooden dowel to get the technique down, and to gain some confidence.

I fought with the notion of getting a kit or a cheaper blank to start.....as a sort of practice project before I built something nice. I decided against that idea. I couldn't see creating something that I didn't really want to fish with....so I just went for it and got the blank and components that I really wanted.

I built a Lamiglass 7'6 4wt, Struble DL seat, custom turned insert, customized cork grip and REC Recoil single foot guides. It's by no means perfect, but I'm proud of it and people that see it seem to like it.

Lastly....there's nothing like catching a fish on a rod you built!

This board is filled (and there will be lots more joining soon I'm sure) with guys that have built rods, that will be more than happy to help guide you through this process.

Good luck!

David

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:31 pm • # 10 

How much thread do you need to wrap a rod? Is a 100 yd spool plenty? I am asking out of stupidity.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:52 pm • # 11 
Administrator

David, great post. I remember you and I ordered and built our Lami's at roughly the same time. Yours turned out really well.

Andy, one spool will do multiple rods.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:57 pm • # 12 

Cool. Thanks! I am psyched...Blue Dun should work for a color on a honey colored blank!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:19 pm • # 13 

Andy....

Something to consider is that the thread might change hues or turn translucent when the epoxy hits it. You can use color preserver to help the thread maintain the original color, or plan for the color change. I practiced with my thread and epoxy in the area of the blank where the seat would go (to hide it) just to see how the thread reacted to the epoxy.

David

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:47 pm • # 14 

Thanks a ton! I really enjoy all the insight.

I am a cheap skate, so I may get a cheap blank and "let" a friend show me how to do it at his place. I think I would fish it like crazy, too. I would be proud of it.

Maybe I am just corny, but I would want a neat picture of a fish and a neat inscription above the grip. What all goes into that?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:20 am • # 15 

Lots of people want fish and inscriptions. Anglers workshop has some really nice transfer fish decals. I do my inscriptions with an old school calligraphy pen and metallic silver paint. You can also use gel pens, but i have had mixed results with them. Another option is to have a decal made at decal connection, they are about 3 bucks each. After you have your decal and inscription done, the only thing you need to do is cover it with epoxy.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply