It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Obsessing over weight
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:21 pm • # 1 

Guys....

Dorber FINALLY has the Ultraweave 7'6 2wt blank in stock.....and it should be on its way to my house sometime this week.....

Does anyone have the weight of the Struble nickle silver D-25 seat versus the aluminum D-3? I know that if weight was a huge concern I should get a sliding bandd seat - but I just prefer a locking seat.

And........I've heard that burl cork is heavier than standard cork rings. I've planned on getting one of the new burl cork blocks from Mudhole and turning a handle from that. Any intel on the weight difference between regular cork and burl cork??

Sorry - I'm not usually this obsessive about stuff.

David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:28 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I would imagine that the D3 would be the lighter seat. As for the grip, yes burl is heavier. I prefer the feel real cork myself but, I do have two of the bamboo burl grips because they were cheap on closeout, and they actually look good.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:41 pm • # 3 
Administrator

David, funny you should bring this up. I just posted about a similar thing on a different thread. I just picked up an Elkhorn 2 wt with nickel-silver hardware and I sure wish they would have used aluminum!

The Elkhorn has a cork reel seat but the uplocking hardware weighs a LOT. I have a Cabela's 3 wt with a similar cork reel seat with aluminum uplocking hardware and the weight difference between the butt section of the Elkhorn and butt section of the Cabela's is 0.5oz (1.9 oz versus 1.4 oz). That 0.5 oz of extra hardware comes out to 20% of the weight of the rod. (the Elkhorn butt section is 1.5" longer than the Cabela's but that weighs next to nothing).

For a UL rod that 0.5 oz feels like a lot. You tell me if having nickel silver looks that much better:

Elkhorn:

Cabela's:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:06 pm • # 4 

Yeah......but the D-25 is a smaller diameter and shorter than the D-3.....hmmmmm...maybe use the D-25 but with cork
grip. It is a 7'6 blank.......

David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:40 pm • # 5 
Administrator

If you go with nickel silver you'll need a very light reel to balance it. This Elkhorn is an 8' rod and even with the Hardy Flyweight (2.6 oz) reel it's a little butt-heavy. With a 7'6" blank it will be even harder to balance. Having said that there are a lot of guys who don't worry so much about the balance point so maybe it won't be noticeable to you. Do you know which reel you'll be using on it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:51 am • # 6 
Administrator

David, maybe you should wait and weigh the blank when you get it. If it's on the heavy side for it's length then the D25 will work. The D25 is a very nice seat too, one that I like due to it's diminutive size. Since it has a smaller diameter than the D3, the hardware may not weigh twice as much as the D3 hardware.
Overall, it's going to be your build so do what you think is right for you. Go with your gut feeling on this one.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:51 am • # 7 

dorber has the all cork grip and reelseat with the aluminum rings; they sell those to blank buyers at cost. That makes the ultraweave light as a feather. When you put a grip, reelseat, and hardware on the little rod, you compromise its lightness. The blank weighs less than an ounce; the all cork less than an ounce; with single foot guides you will have a rod that weighs around 2 ounces, or even a little less. I built a 3 weight-7 foot ultraweave with all cork, single foot guides and it weighed less than 2 oz.; the 2 weight is 6 inches longer so it will be a tad heavier.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:26 am • # 8 

Thanks guys....

I sound like some $#%$* that can't make up my mind about something trivial.

I've got the Redington CT2/3 reel lined up to use on the rod.

David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 am • # 9 
Administrator

Quote:
I've got the Redington CT2/3 reel lined up to use on the rod.
The CT 2/3 is supposed to weigh 3.25 oz--about the same as an Orvis BBS I, and 0.6 oz more than a Hardy Flyweight, so you might want to go as light as you possibly can on the reel seat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:31 am • # 10 

David: ain't nothing trivial about it; you want what you want; which is commendable; thats what rodbuilding is all about; getting what you want; f it wasn't for that we'd all be buying them ready-made. BUILD IT LIKE YOU WANT IT. Davy crockett used to say, BE SURE YOURE RIGHT THEN GO AHEAD. good motto to live by.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:08 am • # 11 

David. A cap and ring seat is about as secure as a screw lock. As to total weight, a long or relatively heavy blank needs to be balanced somehow. This means that the reel and seat/grip combined weight must stay within certain parameters. A 2.2 ounce Forbes magnesium or Dennison gives you an ounce or more of leeway in the seat/grip. This more than offsets the weight of the NS or the screw lock. However, some rigs will require the 1.6 ounce Forbes. Jerry posted a pix of my Dan Craft 0 weight and you can see how I addressed that problem with the Forbes. That is a special run REC and I think the hardware was aluminum. Incidentally, I like a very tip heavy rod when fishing UL. Don

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:01 pm • # 12 
Administrator

David, they say a picture's worth a thousand words. I found this while going through my rod building stuff. It's the nickel silver hardware from a U25 reel seat (pulled off a rod I busted). This is the same diameter as the D25 and about the same size. Looks like this chunk of hardware would weigh the same as or more than your blank.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:43 pm • # 13 

WOW....thanks!

I emailed Struble for weight information on some of their seats - a NS cap and ring (D-27), an AL cap and ring (D-2), a NS locking (D-25) and an AL locking (D-3).

It will interesting #1 - if they answer me and #2 - what the weights are.

It's a personal thing, but I dislike sliding band seats. I had UL spinning rods as a kid with sliding bands to hold the reels in place and many times I had to resort to electricians tape to secure the reel in place with out it coming loose. It's this inherent bias I have (maybe illfound) that keeps me leaning towards a locking seat. Plus, to me they look odd with the rings canted over - looking like they are jammed up on the reel foot, barely holding it on.

Maybe a cap and ring would be different?????

What sorts of seats does Sage use on the factory assembled TXLs?

Interesting article on UL fly reel seats - http://www.byrdultrafly.com/seats.htm

David

PS. I got an email today from Dorber. My blank was shipped today! Should have it by Saturday or Monday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:51 pm • # 14 

Sage uses uplocking threaded locking seats David. I have no complaints with any cap and ring seat I have used. They all hold the reels securely, and this one on that cane rod is VERY snug on my Dennison so that reel isn't going anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:06 pm • # 15 

Yeah.....on the Sage......NS or AL? Specially machined to weight less? Brand?

In the link I posted by Bill Byrd, he relates how he had a reel come loose on a sliding band seat.

Guess I just have to make up my mind. I think what I'm going to do is weigh the blank when it gets here.....and then make some decisions.

I was hoping to use the Redington CT reel, but I might need to either trade it for a lighter reel - like a Forbes mag, or convince my wife I need ANOTHER reel.......if I can save an ounce in reel weight.

Thanks for the info.

David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:52 pm • # 16 
Administrator

I've had my reel loosen up a bit on both a reel seat with a cap and slide band and two slide bands but it's never come close to falling off. I've had a similar thing happen with a cheap uplocking reel seat too where it backed off slightly during the course of the day. It was one of those with only one locking nut though--most of the nicer ones have two. I like both slide bands and uplocking--I've never had a downlocking.

If you can find a nice brushed aluminum downlocking that might do it for you. It would still look good but would save you a lot of weight. Or just go with the nickel silver and a really light reel.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:21 pm • # 17 

The situation on Byrd's rod was a poorly designed seat, not because of the cap and ring or sliding bands. The Sage uses aluminum hardware, and I am sure it is light gauge stuff at the heaviest. If you are looking for a light reel, look no further than Dennison. That is the best $50 I ever spent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:28 pm • # 18 
Administrator

The Sage TXL's have a nickel silver reel seat although it might be a lighter gauge than the Struble.

"TXL Series rods feature ultra-light snake guides, a unique, round tip- top guide and a micro-stripping guide to enhance performance and keep weight to an absolute minimum. A finely crafted, nickel-silver reel seat with a Vera wood insert and six-inch cigar- style grip"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:05 am • # 19 
Administrator

Sage uses Struble seats. I believe they use the the U25 on the TXL's. David, cap and ring seats work, they are very popular. I have one on the Matrix 2wt I just re-wrapped and I've never had an issue, it holds the reel tight. I used the D2 with aluminum hardware on mine. In my opinion, the Struble D2 is one of the best deals in reel seats. They can be had for around $25 in aluminum. Check Mudhole as they have all the different wood options for the D2. I highly recommend it, and I'll be using D2's again in the future.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:40 am • # 20 
Administrator

David, by the way, Mudhole does carry the aluminum D2 with a cork insert. That will help to keep the weight down.

J.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply