It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 1 of 4   [ 76 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:00 am • # 1 

Good evening all,
I will start with the usual intro... Long time lurker first time poster. And I will also say I don't usually publicise many things I build , as to many folks my age and younger post crap about there daily life's the (to be honest) we don't care about. Right?? In turn tunes me into somewhat of a online recluse.

Now my rant is over I will get back to what we are here for, I truly love fly fishing and have done so since I was.. Well forever I guess, the odd thing is no one in my family or even group of friends shares my passion for the sport. so I don't get to share my though ideas with others too often but thankfully here is the right place!

Now I have an upcoming holiday to Canada where I have a wedding to attend then on our way home we will be tracking through Sierra Nevada for 2 weeks fishing/exploring. I have purchased a kabuto 6633 blank in which I think this rod will be perfect for the trip but I will not be here until April.
So my long winded question to you all is I'm building a couple of reels to go with this rod and my inspiration for the shape is hardy perfect or similar classic style reel with a simple click and pawl drag. But the tricky part is I don't have access to any such reels to actually touch and feel let alone take measurements from. This is you all chime in, I would love to hear for you all on what diameter, spool width, weight ect. That would suit this 6'6" 3wt to the ground.

I hope to hear all your thoughts
Cheers Vince
Ps as I know every thread should start with pictures please see the attached landing net I build during my Xmas holidays.ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:20 am • # 2 
Administrator

Vince,
Great looking net, the checkerboard pattern on the handles end really sets it off. And welcome officially to the site, you'll get some different opinions on vintage style click pawl reels. The classic Stan Bogdan look will match well with your Kabuto build. Is it a white blank?
I guess your budget will determine what you will buy, but I would look at some of the Chinese zsu? Reels for their cost, and from what I have heard they're decent reels.

Regards
Les

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:26 am • # 3 

Hi Vince and welcome to the Forum.
Very cool that you want to build your own reels. I'll start off by asking where do you like the balance point to be on a glass rod. For me it has to be at the front of the cork even further up the rod or I tend to get tailing loops when I cast. So when you figure out what weight reel to build and then maybe the dimensions will start to fall into place.
Personally I like reels around 2 7/8" to 3" in diameter X 3/4" for my 3wt. My glass 3wt is 7'3" and balances well with a reel around 3 to 4.5 ounces, line included. I use either older Orvis Battenklll 3/4 spring / pawls or a LL Bean Silver Guide 3/4.
One thing you can do to keep the rod light is to use a cap and ring for your reel seat. This will allow you to use a slightly heavier reel and achieve the same balance point. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:18 pm • # 4 

Hi Vince and welcome to the forum. I can't help you on this but I can say that your skills as a craftsman are awesome. That net is great!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:59 pm • # 5 

Cheers for the kind reply guys.

The blank is natural and I will be machining the reel seat to suit the rod, sourcing nickel silver stock as we speak. Thinking of keeping with the kabuto theme and building a stacked bamboo seat with slip ring mounts.
Lone Fisherman I aim to balance around the centre if the cork. For the reel the look of a narrow spool/ larger diameter appeals to me, I have 12" length of 3" alloy on order so keeping them thin I will be able to machine a few extras. With the 3/8 width is that the full width of the reel or just the spool?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:38 pm • # 6 

The 3/4" is the inside dimension of the spool only. I've had reels with a 5/8" width and found them to be too narrow for my taste.
What line you want to use with this rod could be a determining factor in the width of the spool. A weight forward will require less spool space than a double taper. How much backing to use comes into play also.
A 3" X 3/4" wide spool with a small arbor should be able to handle a double taper line.
Just curious if this is your first glass rod or do you have others?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:14 am • # 7 

whipped this "rough" Plug up this afternoon to get an idea of the sizing and also wound a full spool of 4wt had plenty if room to spare, maybe even room for double taper. Dims are 3" outside dia and a 5/8 spool width. Will sketch down a few more measurements and I think a design will be in place.
Lonefisherman apologies in advance the million questions... I don't get to quize too many skilled fly fisherman often/ever.. Haha
Did you find the line stacking an issue on narrow spool or any other issues that turns you off them at all?
As this is my first glass rod, dose moving the center of gravity further up the rod only apply to glass to you, is that just your preferance in general? If others want to chip in here I will be more than pleases)
And with the line I would like to experiment with different types to get the most from the set up.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:04 am • # 8 

No problem with the questions Vince. I don't have a problem with line stacking I just prefer 3/4" wide reels.
You should visit The Fiberglass Flyrodders forum if you haven't already. Tons of info all about glass.
My balance point is different for glass than it is for carbon rods. Above the cork for glass, in the middle of the cork for carbon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:31 am • # 9 
Administrator

I guess I misunderstood that you were making a reel not looking for one. However, I would suggest that Roy's idea of visiting the glass site is correct. You'll see what kind of reels are used and how. Funny though, your reel reminds me of a Hardy Gem from color and solid spool face. You might take a look at Ablettes as well for models.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 pm • # 10 

thinking that a 3" reel will weigh too much for a 6'6" rod but you have plenty of time to experiment

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:31 pm • # 11 

Wow that looks amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:21 am • # 12 

Getting the design close on cad so hopefully the fun part of removing metal wont be far away, cad will be the only computer assistance during these builds too. I'm trying to complement to timeless design of the Hardy Perfection with out copying it like for like. But I think Hardy's designers really nailed it with simplicity and functionality with both making and using this reel, so quite hard to not use original ideas and keep the (I guess you would call it) essence of the reel. Anyway Hope to post more pictures soon as I know we all love pictures .

Les - No dramas mate as I know it's not everyday you hear someone is building there own reels, and Paul I've taking your advice one and I'm hovering around and a little under the 2 7/8" mark and as I have plenty of material I will most likely be making a few extra sizes.

Cheers Vince.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:26 am • # 13 

Vince Huttley wrote:
Getting the design close on cad so hopefully the fun part of removing metal wont be far away, cad will be the only computer assistance during these builds too. I'm trying to complement to timeless design of the Hardy Perfection with out copying it like for like. But I think Hardy's designers really nailed it with simplicity and functionality with both making and using this reel, so quite hard to not use original ideas and keep the (I guess you would call it) essence of the reel. Anyway Hope to post more pictures soon as I know we all love pictures .

Les - No dramas mate as I know it's not everyday you hear someone is building there own reels, and Paul I've taking your advice one and I'm hovering around and a little under the 2 7/8" mark and as I have plenty of material I will most likely be making a few extra sizes.

Cheers Vince.

i am sure you would have several eager buyers of your "extras" should you decide to sell them. amazing craftsmanship. that net is absolutely stunning and your reels are beautiful. pardon me if this is a repeat question, but did you make the reel that is posed with your net? lastly, England? in awe of folks who can do things like this. bill cosby had a routine he did about woodshop where he talked about no matter what he started out making, he always ended up putting some grooves in it and turning it into an ashtray. kind of where i stand. thanks for sharing your talents.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:36 am • # 14 

Cheers Dpenrod it's always nice to here positive feedback. The quote from Bill has brightened my evening! But in all honesty I think we all have the talent we just need to slow down and forward think of the task at hand.
The reel in the photo is a Chinese copy that I purchased "online". Not to slag on someone trying to make a living but the quality is poor. That's what gave me the motivation to build my own reels and I think there is still a place in this consumer world for hand crafted instruments. And yes hopefully some of you may like my reels to purchase.
Also I have a few sneaky trick up my sleeve you all might like, see if I get some photos tomorrow at work I will post.
And I'm from Queensland Australia.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:50 am • # 15 

Had some time in the work shop today and over the weekend. Managed to pump out a body at 2 7/8", starting to take life now so hopefully each day after work I will be chipping away at It. Please see the attached photos. Also whipped up a bamboo planing form and i will keep you all up to date with that project too.ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:18 pm • # 16 

Vince thank you for taking us on this wonderful journey. I have no such skills as you clearly possess so I am watching this eagerly. What a wonderful thing you are doing.

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:56 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Sweet!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:06 am • # 18 

Skeleton staring to take shape. Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:37 am • # 19 

Few more photos for you all, this first reel will only ever be a test unit to proof my drawings and ideas. And I can already see how I will be making suttle changes in the next build, like reducing the clearance for the drag housing/retrieve face to give it a slimmer look. Next I will be moving onto cutting the gears for drag and maching the required components. This is going to be the most time consuming part...

On another note can any of you Cali guys inform me how this season is shaping up with the drought that you all seem to be in? My lady and I are looking at changing our holiday due to the drought mostly because we would much rather see the sierras at a better time. Any of your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Vince ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:53 am • # 20 
Administrator

a perfect?

That is indeed taking shape.

Les

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 1 of 4   [ 76 posts ] New Topic Add Reply