It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 76 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:23 pm • # 21 

Cheers Les, yeah it's some what of a perfect. Progress is still happening on it but unfortunately other things are taking priority. Hope to get a few more photos up soon.

Cheers Vince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:20 pm • # 22 

Nice looking rough plug Vince. kind of reminds me of two reels i have here at home, my Meisselbach Airex Ablette (i have 2 sizes) and a Caps/Fishon. very simple reels, perfect for trout fishing in the Sierra. i'd too would love to buy one of your reels if they prove successful for you. also depending on my future disposable income status :)

btw, i live here in Fresno, central california, west slope of the sierra. As you've heard, our drought conditions are pretty bad. But we have two storms being forecast for the coming week or so. Even so, if they produce good rain and snow, we MIGHT reach 30-35 percent of average snow pack. we shall see. There will still be fishing options if you come, depending on your plan. i just read a news report that long-range forecasting sees the potential for good storms next winter which would make 2015 much more ideal, but long-range looking can be iffy.

best regards,

eric
fresno, ca.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:23 am • # 23 

Nice build!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:01 am • # 24 

Little more progress over the past few days, I've cut the drag gear on the bonze drive hub, lightened the spool, polished out some rough machining marks staring to think this reel my be good enough to finish properly. As a heads up whilst I'm writing this I realise I my sound a little arrogant or over confedent but this is only to me being my own worst critic, I set high standards for my self and when I meet them I'm proud as punch and when I don't.. well you know how it goes. It has been a great learning experience so far and I believe with this first reel I can begin to produce a few keepers.

Thanks everyone I truly do appreciate your comments. Eric I reply to your email you sent me and hopefully it didn't get caught up in spam. I think my lady and I will change our trip to fly into Vegas and hire a camper and trek the Grand Canyon for a few days and head up to yellowstone via colorado and back down to vegas via Wyoming, Idaho & Utah, we hope to spend around 3 week in the van getting to see the back county sights of the states. What makes me cringe the most is we were to spend a few day in Yosemite during labour day weekend but the bush fires put short work to that. So I would rather comeback to Yosemite/Cali during a better season. On the bright side of the fires I did get spend a day in Sequoia Nation Forest and spend a night in Fresno where I fished the San Joaquin River and met a few really nice guys on the river too.

On that note of Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho has any one got any suggestions on bamboo tapers for those big rivers, the Kabuto will be more than adiquate for the small streams but I think I will be needing something with a good casting distance and backbone. If this dose fall out side the Ultralight rules I won't push this any further.
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:47 am • # 25 

The reel looks great Vince.
I can't help with bamboo suggestions but if you haven't already you should check out The Classic Fly Rod Forum. Lots of helpful people over there you will be able to answer your boo questions. I'm sure they would also like to see your reel from start to finish.
One thing I can suggest is what fiberglass rod would work for distance and backbone and that would be any number of Fenwicks. The FF85, the FF 856, 857, or 858. These are all 8 1/2' rods that will give you distance and will mend nicely.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:50 am • # 26 

I don't know what to say to add to this conversation but I will be waiting for updates. Very very cool. I envy your craftsmanship and patience for such things.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:51 am • # 27 

Neat thread, nice to watch an artist at work!
The upper sac has been fishing really well right now from what I hear. Been too busy to experience it myself. I have a very strong feeling,based on previous years, that there will be a short season between opening of stream season and not enough water to fish. The American is closed below Nimbus Dam due to low flows and trying to save the salmon redds. I will probably be keying in on lakes and rivers more this year. Just gonna have to wait and see, pray for snow!

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:16 pm • # 28 

Very cool stuff, this is something I have always wanted to learn how to do...its on my bucket list for sure but watching a reel come to life on here is so cool and enjoyable, keep the pics and status coming.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:28 pm • # 29 
Global Moderator

that reel is absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see the finished product.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:08 am • # 30 

Thanks guys for the kind words it has really given me a boost to get this reel done. For a aesthetics I drilled a few holes in the spool after work today and well it looks pretty nice.
I have been researching on the Classic Rod Forum for a few years now and have signed up recently so I guess I should contribute, on the rod side of things they have so many tapers to choose from that its confusing, I really want to build a bamboo rod fitting for this trip as to put it short when I build something my self and use it to it's fullest potential gives me a great kick.

I hope all you guys in Cali do get the snow pack you need but there is something going on with the weather as even for us (northern Australia) we haven't got the wet season we normally get this year nor the previous, the river here are in need of a good flush.
Will update some more tomorrow as I will be spending a full day in the workshop tomorrow so I hope to get a lot done, more photo's too.

Also some of you have sent me email and I have replied but I'm not sure if I'v done it correctly?? Eric,Mark..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:11 am • # 31 

thanks for sharing this vince, i love read writings from builders. I hope i will have a chance like you someday soon!
Keep up a good work

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:24 pm • # 32 

As quick update, I have been slowly chipping away at this reel but no drastic changes have been made so i haven't felt the need for repetitive pics or post. I have the drag pretty well complete and hopefully the brass foot will be complete by the end of the weekend. Will post more pics then so stay tuned.

Cheers Vince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:36 am • # 33 

Vince I love what you are doing here. Is that your own interpretation of the Perfect? I am anxious to see this project evolve.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:28 pm • # 34 

Love the work and the reel is awesome. Can't wait to see more. Thanks for the post!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:29 am • # 35 

Got the mounting feet machined today and cut my teeth on the drag tensioner, really cut my teeth... that 1/8th thread really tested my patience 3 times over...
John I will reply to your email soon mate, I haven't forgotten about you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:42 am • # 36 

Little more progress on the reel, the drag is pretty well complete now and I hope to have this reel completed this weekend as with the second reel I stared a few weeks back. I got a little excited over the weekend and ordered a few more blanks... 2 infact from Ijuin a 7'0" 3t and a 7'03" 4wt and wow is Tomo San a super cool guy! Feel free to ask a few questions on the process but in the mean time please enjoy a few more photos.

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:47 am • # 37 

Koos Eckard wrote:
Vince I love what you are doing here. Is that your own interpretation of the Perfect? I am anxious to see this project evolve.

Sorry for the slow reply Koos, yeah this is my take on a perfect. I don't want to copy it like for like but complement a timeless design that Hardy Bros created.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:41 am • # 38 
Administrator

That is coming along beautifully! I'm super impressed.
And yes, Tomo is a terrific guy with amazing blanks and workmanship.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:24 pm • # 39 
Global Moderator

Vince, I am in absolute awe! those reels are gorgeous. Nice work!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:56 am • # 40 

Thanks again guys I enjoy your reply as hopefully as much you all enjoy my photos and ramblings. I truly do believe the fly fishing community is one such medium that will alway have a place for truly handmade tools for our trade, weather it be flies, leaders, silk lines, rods ,reels the list can go on. We truly do accept hand made over mass produced and I do appreciate being apart of that.

Little more progress for you all I finally decided on the handle for this little honkey, whilst on my daily rummage around the workshop today I stumbled upon a nice piece of teflon and bronze the really fit the bill, I will let the photos tell the rest.
ImageImageImage

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 76 posts ] New Topic Add Reply