It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4   [ 76 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:15 pm • # 41 

Can't say enough about the reel. Just awesome. Keep the pic's coming.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:04 am • # 42 

Vince Huttley wrote:
Koos Eckard wrote:
Vince I love what you are doing here. Is that your own interpretation of the Perfect? I am anxious to see this project evolve.

Sorry for the slow reply Koos, yeah this is my take on a perfect. I don't want to copy it like for like but complement a timeless design that Hardy Bros created.

Vince you have done that reel justice. I absolutely love it. There is a huge Niche market for these "timeless" type of reels. The mass produced reels these days doesn't come close to the reels of yesteryear. With everything being made in the east these days, craftsmen like yourself and a whole range of others across Europe now has the capability to do limited batches of reels and make a living. Yes people wait for their reels and the wait is worth it in the end.

I know a reel maker in Sweden and that man is immensely talented. He made me 3 Remco Replicas a few years ago and now he is busy with something like this for me....

I appreciate your reply and I am truly a fan of your work. Well done to you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:59 pm • # 43 

Very cool! You have talent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:46 am • # 44 

Some more pictures for you all and I do hope to elaborate more in the coming days. For the moment please see the attached photos and please don't hesitate to ask any questions on the process.
Also I have been mirroring my progress on the fibreglass rodders forum, in which I have announced I will be pursing my dramas of suppling unique tools to those how appreciate them.
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/v ... =4&t=46830

Cheers
Vince

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:59 am • # 45 

Fantastic!!!! Are you going to anodize the reel or are you going to keep it like that?
I sure won't mind one of these reels Vince.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:21 am • # 46 

Koos I will lacquer this reel as to anodise would cause corrosion issues between the body and spindle bush which I don not wish to remove for alignment issues. Plus I really like the brushed look that lacquer will preserve.
Hang in guys, I'am truly excited to get the ball rolling on this adventure, as it really is something I've been looking to do for sometime now which involves my love of fishing, using my trained skills as a machinist, my love fine detail and manual machining with out CNC aid. But most of all too all of you who accept quality in a consumerist world.

Thanks again
Vince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:06 am • # 47 
Administrator

You are well on your way, Vince! That turned out amazingly and I am excited to see what comes from this in the future!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:12 am • # 48 

Thanks Chris, means alot mate.
Little more progress this weekend, more so on the rods. I slabed and stored a few branches from a field mango tree awhile back and finaly they are dry enough to use. Please see the that attached for reference.

Thanks again for the feed back I hope to have some more photos soon.

Cheers
Vince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:52 am • # 49 

Vince Huttley wrote:
Koos I will lacquer this reel as to anodise would cause corrosion issues between the body and spindle bush which I don not wish to remove for alignment issues. Plus I really like the brushed look that lacquer will preserve.
Hang in guys, I'am truly excited to get the ball rolling on this adventure, as it really is something I've been looking to do for sometime now which involves my love of fishing, using my trained skills as a machinist, my love fine detail and manual machining with out CNC aid. But most of all too all of you who accept quality in a consumerist world.

Thanks again
Vince

Makes sense to me. I envy you as this is exactly what I want to do from out of my garage. Yes I have a soft spot for reels. My wife asked me the other day how many reels I have, I could not answer her. So she asked how much more do I want, this was an easy answer. Just a few more.

I am actually looking at designing something in the line of those old Tuna Can reels particularly for our Small Stream Fishing over here. If it turns out well I might consider making it in a 5wt too. You have truly inspired me with this reel of yours.

I wish you well and I can see that you are going to get lots of orders on these reels. I for one would be interested in one. Please send me a PM with costs and estimated time of delivery? If you are keen you are most welcome to mail me at the following address....kooseckard@gmail.com and we could then discuss it further.

I do look forward to your response?

Best Regards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:40 am • # 50 

Koos thankfully my lady is very forgiving with me purchasing gear but she one thing she don't like is when I take over the dining table with all my crap, rods reels cameras, fly vice ext ext...
Keep me up to date with your building, as it's nice to see others manufacture there own gear, can share a few ideas and experiences that I learnt so far as well.

As for the further manufacture of this reel I will begin construction on anther 3 more this weekend, for a final figure I truly don't want to sound rude or arrogant so I will repeat something that Tomo from Ijuin Rod said about Kineya Reels that dose explains why I put so much effort into my work is that "If you give your heart to that reel, it increases it's attraction" that really hits the right note for me.
So please guys I don't intend to offend with the price being around the $900 dollar mark, as if I were to put a dollar figure on all of my time making these reels they would be well into the thousands of dollars. Also if I were to manufacture these via CNC this would reduce the price dramatically but this is not the path I want to take as I believe each reel will loose it's personality.

Please guys I do look forward to all your comments as with out your support my dreams of supply fine products to you would not be realised. please see the attached photos of the progress on the reels and 2 Ijuin rods.

Thanks again

Vince

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:02 am • # 51 

Wow man, that's craftsmanship at its finest!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:52 am • # 52 

Thank you for the kind words Simonuca.
Been a little quiet on the building front lately due to the day job getting in the way.. As easter is not to far away I hope to get stuck into them over the break, got a new concept for the drag too that I hope will make these reels a little more unique. For the mean time please find the picture below, sorry about the over powering green of my bench top in the photo but it's the only photo worthy of posting.

Thank you all again and to hit 1100 views on the topic is truly remarkable.

Cheers Vince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:25 pm • # 53 

Nice, I look at this post everyday!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:17 am • # 54 

Evening guys,

Sorry for the slow updates as of late, unfortunately the day job has been consuming majority of my time and to be honest I cannot wait for this holiday in July, as the batteries are in need of a good recharge... Fortunately I have finish the 4wt IjuIn 7'03" and even managed to sneak in a day on the water in the mountains about an hour from home (please see the photo for reference) the creek is truly beautiful. As for the reels I managed to sneak a few hours of machine time on Saturday whilst the lads had a rush job on the go in the workshop so they are coming along but a lot slower that I would hope... And the Kabuto blank has arrived in which I didn't mess around with getting started on. Please guys for the mean time enjoy a few quick photos of the rod and reel progress, I have been concentrating on building rather than sharing these last few weeks that I feel i have neglected this forum. One thing I can assure you though is I religiously check the UL Photos and reports daily for all your posts, especially now it's coming into spring.
So please guys keep up the good posts and even though I'm not adding to the fishing side of thing I hope my builds increase the wealth of knowledge available in the community.

Cheers Vince.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:39 pm • # 55 

Hi guys sorry I haven't had updated for a while. Due to work being rather busy no great progress has been made, except the can is 95% completed. Hopefully everything has settled at work for the moment and I can get stuck into things again.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:21 am • # 56 

Oh man that's a beautiful creek up there!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:05 am • # 57 

It's a very beautiful creek Simonuca, I ride my bike through this area as its closed to public access and every 500 meters is another waterfall and beautiful clear runs hints to its name Crystal Creek.
Finally over the busy patch at work and can get back to business with these reels! Will have the bodies finished soon and will send them off for hard anodising, during which will time me time to machine the small bits and pieces.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:52 pm • # 58 

You machine the screw also?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:55 pm • # 59 

Sorry for the slow reply Simonuca yes all the screws have been machined except for the 2 foot mounting screws, got a little lazy there..
Got a few thing on the go at the moment one is a landing net for fellow member John Wallace the photo is only half of the mess laying on my bench... Hope to add more photos and updates the coming weekend.

Cheers
Vince

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:40 am • # 60 

I'm looking at your machined aluminum cork reamer in the picture.

No broken rod section re-purposed as a reamer for you, I see :) .

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4   [ 76 posts ] New Topic Add Reply