It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:52 pm • # 21 

OK....I opted for the medium brown colored thread.

So far, I've glued up the insert/seat, cork and winding check. I've wrapped the hook keeper also. The winding check is from Joel Lemke also and matches the knurling pattern of the seat hardware. I patina'ed it with M38 to match the hardware. The English bronze hook keeper I acquired in a trade from Don. (Thanks Don!)

Here is a pic of my sophisticated wrapping station. Just goes to show you don't really need any fancy equipment!! The small strips of masking tape are measuring marks that I'm thinking of doing at 12", 16" and 20".

Here's the glued up handle assembly. I expect to do the "Don and Gene" treatment to the cork when I'm done wrapping to darken the cork just slightly.

The hook keeper and winding check detail. I think the colors match pretty well....especially in the sun.

I'm taking my time....but I'm hoping to complete it by Sunday, and fish it next week.

Last edited by armyflyfisher on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:24 pm • # 22 

Looking Great!! Nice choice on the wrapping....Waiting patiently for the finished product and report...bet it will look sweet with the darker cork...Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:46 am • # 23 

Rod is done......(finally).....

We had some serious thumder storms in Northern TN yesterday that kept me off the water and fried my home computer.

So no pics of the rod or with fish until later.....

David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:52 am • # 24 

Gosh...glad you got your rod is done...So sorry about your computer...and while I am commenting here...from your screen name I take it you are in the Army....also your fishing reports...I want to thank you for your dedication and sacrifice in defense of our country..It is deeply appreciated....Rob

Last edited by robgcp on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:36 am • # 25 

Can't wait to see the finished rod. I really like the grip. I just orderd some cork rings from mudhole. I got some spotted cork and burl so I can build up something simular.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:05 pm • # 26 

Great looking rod. Is that a REC NS reel seat? I am interested to know how you did the patina. It looks great. I am stabilizing a piece of buckeye burl with gold leaf right now. I hope it turns out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:46 am • # 27 

Thanks.

The seat hardware is from Joel Lemke. It's actually plated aluminum, so you get the great looks of NS with the weight savings of AL.

I used Birchwood Casey M38 to patina the silver to the darker tones in the picture.

Be sure to post up pictures of the burl that you turn!

David

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ] New Topic Add Reply