It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: I think I got screwed!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:03 pm • # 1 

I recently ordered a bunch of feathers from a noted web dealer (they shall remain nameless). The total order came to $7.95 plus $5.95 shipping. I figured "oh well" and place the order. The order showed up yesterday in a plain brown 8x11 envelope with a single forever stamp on it. So much for the $5.95 in shipping costs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:40 pm • # 2 

You have to remember it is shipping and handling.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:23 pm • # 3 

Almost all companies do it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:43 pm • # 4 

I believe I would at least ask them to explain and perhaps even to refund some of the "handling" fee. Never hurts to ask and I would want to know if this is the way they do business. I understand some up charge but that is a bit excessive. Ask them what you would pay if you picked up at the store and see how that price compares.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:10 pm • # 5 

Probably a set fee. Small orders like this are more costly than large orders...

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:01 pm • # 6 

I'd say it's fair. Minimum wage for someone to put the order together, an envelope and a stamp. It's a tough pill to chew but they also have to cover the cost. There is also the cost of getting to the post office. This Is kind of the deal with buying online and another reason to pay a visit to your local fly shop

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:37 pm • # 7 

It happens to me all the time. ..

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:38 pm • # 8 

The postage on that SHOULD have been just under $2, not a single forever stamp. Nonetheless, IMHO you got hosed. They charged you far more than any conceivable costs, let alone the possibility that it was going to arrive postage due when you got it!
Complain to them, politely but very firmly. Then no matter the outcome, take your business elsewhere, and let them know why.
You have choices . . .

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:58 pm • # 9 

Here is the way I look at this-how much would the item cost if you picked up in person? My guess sit their would be no "handling" charge.

I'm with CalJim in that a couple of bucks is reasonable but not $5.95. Keep in mind we are talking feathers-very light and easy to pack up. Also many of you know dealers with a certain amount of shipping volume pay far less that an individual would pay for typical shipping.

I actually would like to know who the dealer is but I understand if you do not want to provide this info.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:46 am • # 10 

I realize you didn't specifically request opinions in your post, but here's my perspective, based on a couple of similar experiences:
When I placed the order, I was clearly ok with paying $6 to get an $8 item delivered to my house, so it doesn't matter to me whether it arrives tied to an arrow shot into my garage door or wrapped in gauze and delivered by a swimsuit model on the back of a trained elephant accompanied by a brass band. :eek

(to be fair, I live a long way from any major centers, and rely on either burning a bunch of gas or paying shipping charges to get a lot of stuff - and I only WISH we had a mail service as quick and inexpensive as you 'merkins have. Plus, I really like elephants ;) )
brent

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:10 pm • # 11 

Thanks for all the comments. I am not going to release the name of the supplier. It was never my intention to sully someone's reputation. I was more just plain old *****'n.

Live and Learn (and order somewhere else).

Now for the best part... I don't even remember what pattern I was planning on tying with the feathers... d'oh

>: :rollin >:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:36 pm • # 12 

I think I ordered a rod recently from the same people and was charged the same amount for shipping. It was drop shipped from the factory so they didn't even handle it. Everywhere else on the web ships free for orders over $100. Probably will do my online business elsewhere from now on. Their shipping policies are a bit outdated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:41 pm • # 13 

I agree; you got hosed. Well, live and learn...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:37 pm • # 14 

Handling fees are baloney. The cost of handling should be reflected in the price of the item.

This is the same for Internet service or buying a car. Don't give me a price then later state various fees from misc sources. That cost, again, is the price of doing business and recouped in the sale price of item or service. Not in fees, like handling.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:41 pm • # 15 

Sorry--Trying to figure this out--If your told upfront what total cost is how are you being screwed?

You had option to say yes or no and you said yes.

Maybe guy divides cost up this way for tax reasons or maybe it costs five bucks in gas to go to post office. Only he knows what his costs are and he says this is what I charge and once again you can say yes or no.

Barry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:50 pm • # 16 

There's a highly reputable feather dealer that offers free shipping on all purchases... Personally I always try to find "free shipping" it may be slightly calculated into the cost of each item but in cases where I only need a few things a couple cents added here and there is much more appealing to me than flat shipping fees...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:38 pm • # 17 

As a rule, I like to see what I'm buying; However, that's not always possible. So far I have steered clear of vendors that charge for shipping and handling. I generally order at least 50 to 75 bucks worth of material at a time, so I've been able to escape the shipping charge so far. I only live a couple hours from Barlows and I buy a bunch from them. I've also ordered from "In the Riffle" and was very happy with them. When I look stuff up on eBay, if they charge for shipping, I pass them buy unless I can't get it cheaper elsewhere.

Post subject: I think I got screwed!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:25 am • # 18 

Adding shipping is fine since that varies from destination to destination. Handling, however, requires the same time and effort and therefore a constant variable whose cost should be included in the price of the item.

Using Barry's example as an example, as a buyer, I do not need to know the cost of doing business at such granular levels; The seller does. A $5 cost to drive to the post office can easily be added to the cost of the item being sold. Can telling the buyer the cost of running a business be used as a justification point for a high price? I guess so and most likely the real reason for stating "handling" cost but at the end of the day, I am ultimately paying the same price in a different marketing package. I want to know the final cost plus shipping.

Otherwise, it is similar to an advertisement stating that sage txl rods are on sale for $99 plus shipping*.

Dishonest? Not quite. Up front? Sort of. Is this the only gotcha? Who knows. Would I want to deal with this type of seller? No.

* Does not include handling fees of $525.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:25 pm • # 19 

Well, the good news is that MarlTroutBum seems to have gotten over it back on May 6 :)

But I expect that as long as we sheeple continue to fall for the 'hidden costs' and shop by low advertised price alone, there's little reason for merchants to do otherwise. You know, except for situations (like the one under discussion, to his credit) where that little bit of borderline larceny costs you a return customer.
brent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:16 pm • # 20 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Well, the good news is that MarlTroutBum seems to have gotten over it back on May 6 :)

:) Happens when one has too much time on their hands.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ] New Topic Add Reply