It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Newbie from Austria
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:38 am • # 1 

Hi everyone!

First I want to say: I'm no native speaker... so please apologize my bad English.

I'm from Austria and started fishing again 2 years ago. I started fishing again in a way, a lot of people do it in my area. Hanging a worm on a hook, throwing the whole thing out on a float and wait something to happen. But that way of fishing was mostly boring, so bought a spin rod for pikes. This way of fishing was way more fun to me, because I was way more active (just don't sit around and wait). But... pikes aren't easy to catch here.. or maybe everyone is doing it wrong ;-). However some month later I bought another rod, an ultra light spin rod (1.5 - 6.5 grams ... which is 23 - 100 grains). I've started fishing in a very small stream and got absolutely addicted to it. I have to sneak through the bushes and need to be careful to be not sighted by a fish. And when a trout or a (european) chub snaps the spinner the fun starts :-). Even the small fishes are fun to catch on this tackle.

Next step: start fly fishing ;-). I want to start fly fishing next year (spent too much money this year ;-) ). After some research about it, I found out, that the best rod choice would be a 5wt. Because it's somehow an all rounder rod. But I'm really afraid, that these rods are not the one I'm looking for... because I love the ultra light spin rod, I thought, maybe a 4wt or a 3wt would be a better choice.

The trouts here are at max 45cm (18 inches), so no big monsters here (my ultra light spin rod has no problem handling these "big" trouts). The average size is about 30cm (12 inches). So I guess a 5wt would be an overkill?

What do you guys think... is a 3wt for an absolute beginner who loves ultra light fishing the right choice? Or should I start off with a 5wt and switch to a 3wt after some practice?

Post subject: Re: Newbie from Austria
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:52 am • # 2 

Welcome!

Many people have traditionally recommended a 5-weight for beginners to fly fishing, but the times, they are changing. Some have more recently started out with 2- or 3-weights with no major issues.

For what you are describing, you might consider getting or even building something like a 6 1/2 or 7 foot (what's that in metric?) 3-weight fly rod with a cork handle/reel seat with sliding rings and single-foot guides. That way you could use it with a fly reel and line or even a UL spinning reel if you so desire. But once you get familiarized with fly-fishing, the UL sspinning gear seems to fall into disuse. At least that has been my personal experience.

Of course, others may have different thoughts to offer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:36 am • # 3 

Grüß Gott. Welcome to the forum. You live in one of earth's beautiful countries. I visited for several weeks many years ago. You say the trout can be 18", but if most of them are smaller I think you would enjoy fishing with a 9' 3 weight rod. It is likely that in the future you would purchase a 5 weight for larger fish. I hope you enjoy your fishing and have a wonderful time.
Try to locate other fly fishers in your area.

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:08 pm • # 4 

Welcome! I agree with PampasPete; not only a 3 or 4 weight, but a shorter one, as it's much easier to get through the brush and you can make some pinpoint casts with it (with some practice!).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:50 pm • # 5 
Administrator

welcome!

Les

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:42 am • # 6 

PampasPete wrote:
For what you are describing, you might consider getting or even building something like a 6 1/2 or 7 foot (what's that in metric?) 3-weight fly rod with a cork handle/reel seat with sliding rings and single-foot guides.

Metric:
6 1/2 foot ~= 2 meters
7 foot ~= 2,15 meters
9 foot ~= 2,75 meters

Thanks for the responses! I'm glad to hear, that starting with a 3 weight would be no problem.

Rockthief wrote:
Grüß Gott.
... I think you would enjoy fishing with a 9' 3 weight rod. It is likely that in the future you would purchase a 5 weight for larger fish. ...
Paul

Grüß Gott Paul :-D

I think a 9' rod would be a little bit too long for the small streams and annoying to handle it around all the bushes... but I will test it with my 9' pike spinning rod.

Is it generally easier to start with a larger rod instead of a small one? By the way, my ul spin rod is 6' long, so it's a pretty small one.

And how about catching pikes? I've already caught some pikes on my ul spin rod and it wasn't a problem at all (the largest one was about 30'').

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:51 am • # 7 

I started with a 5 wt, but quickly moved to a 3wt

Note - I am new to casting, so I overlined my rod. This means I have a four weight line on a three weight rod.

3 yrs later, I am still overlined and not having any issues.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:28 am • # 8 

I was started on a 4wt. Since my intent was trout only it was very much the right start. It was pretty easy to become proficient casting with that. I assure you the fight with a 12" fish on a 4wt will be quite satisfying.
The next noticeable step down was a 2wt. And after having experience with a 4wt for a year I was able to adjust to casting the lighter rig quickly.
My advice would be to start with an 8' or 8 1/2' 4wt and step down AFTER you have become proficient casting and fishing that.
That being said though, I couldn't fault beginning with a 3wt and just staying with that. Perhaps a nice full flexing 8'.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:28 pm • # 9 

Hope I am not to late to comment. I'd recommend going with a short 3 wt or 2 wt. The CGRs are on sale right now from Cabelas at half price. I use a Wind River 3/4 reel and they are on sale now for $20; the reel fits the smaller CGRs well. Both the short rod and the glass may take more practice at the start but if you like ultralight, and you apparently do, your'll appreciate short glass rods.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:59 pm • # 10 

Welcome Michail!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:19 am • # 11 

Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:26 am • # 12 

Hi! Welcome.

I'd go with a 3-weight. You can wrangle a 50cm trout on a three weight if need be. In your case the line weight is more about the size of flies you want to cast and the distance you need to cast them. I think you would be happy with a 7'6" or an 8' if you're planning on fishing mostly dry flies and nymphs the traditional way.

(Small and steep creeks with a lot of white water and pools are sometimes more suited for european style nymphing, in that case you'd still want a 3-weight but in a 9' to 10' configuration.)

Have a look at the various european ebay sites, there's a lot of good quality cheap rods out there. Shipping, import tax and currency rates visavi the U.S. does not work in our favor at the moment...

//Mike (Sweden)

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply