It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:14 am • # 1 

I just ran across this site a couple days ago. Its nice to see a site dedicated to an often overlooked part of fly fishing! I started fly fishing around 1980 when I would sneak my dads fly rod out which was supposed to be off limits. I put my fly fishing gear aside when my son started fishing with me around 2003. He was young and often wandered behind me. I usually fished 6-8wt rods with large streamers back then so I was worried about hooking him. Wanting a challenge, I picked up UL spin fishing and really enjoyed it from 2003-2009. I started getting the urge to fly fish again and my son was old enough then to know better than walk behind me. Of coarse I had to get new gear. Since I was enjoying UL spinning I decided to try UL fly fishing. I was a little surprised when I started looking at rods again. It seemed like almost all the rods I looked at were fast action. I always preferred the feel of a medium action rod and didn't remember the prevalence of fast action rods before. I picked up a 7'6" 3wt TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Series rod to get started with. Then I added a 6' TFO 2wt. I also picked up a variety of 4wt rods in various lengths that got a lot of attention from me. I have yet to go lighter but really enjoy the 2 & 3 wt rods. The last couple years I've also enjoyed tying and fishing small flies. I've only gone down to size 24 so far. I don't know if I'll go any smaller since I'm not sure if I could tie anything smaller to my tippet on the water. They are quite a change from the large pike flies and big articulated streamers thrown with a 7-8wt! I'm lucky to live near some great water and have been fortunate enough to catch some nice fish on my UL gear.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:14 am • # 2 

Welcome aboard. Look forward to your posts. Loved the little bit of Montana I've seen.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:41 pm • # 3 

welcome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:33 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Welcome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:22 pm • # 5 

Welcome, looking forward to pictures of your fishing adventures ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:46 pm • # 6 

Welcome to the group
From Western North Carolina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:11 am • # 7 

Greetings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:48 pm • # 8 

man I wish I was from SW Montana!

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply