It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:31 pm • # 1 

Hello, my name is Steve and I am a fly fisherman. I live in Columbia, MO, and generally fish the Current river. I acquired a 1wt fly rod last November and knowing nothing about ultralight fly fishing, I started an internet search to learn more about it and I found this forum. I have been a daily lurker since then and finally decided I needed to introduce myself. I hope to learn from everyone here, and maybe, in time, become helpful to others.

Thank you,
steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:39 pm • # 2 

Welcome Steve! You've joined a good crew here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:18 pm • # 3 

Welcome aboard Steve. Is that the Current river that flows through SouthEast MO? Lived near that river and also near Hartburg (in your area) on the Missouri river. Raised in MO but haven't lived there in more than 60 years. What type of fish do you target in the Current river?
Are there any fly fishing opprotunities closer to home near Columbia? What size fly rod(s) did you use before the 1wt? Curious about why you jumped to a 1wt (instead of creeping in with a 3wt, then a 2wt and etc.). Thanks for joining.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:24 am • # 4 

JimRed wrote:
Welcome aboard Steve. Is that the Current river that flows through SouthEast MO? Lived near that river and also near Hartburg (in your area) on the Missouri river. Raised in MO but haven't lived there in more than 60 years. What type of fish do you target in the Current river?
Are there any fly fishing opprotunities closer to home near Columbia? What size fly rod(s) did you use before the 1wt? Curious about why you jumped to a 1wt (instead of creeping in with a 3wt, then a 2wt and etc.). Thanks for joining.

Hello Jim,
Thanks to you and weightforward for the welcomes.
The Current river is part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways and begins at Montauk State Park from an underground spring. There are several springs along the river making it mainly spring-fed. I fish for trout in the Current. There are closer opportunities but I tend to migrate to the Current. It's a beautiful river nestled in the Ozarks.

I have mostly fished 5wts. I have a 3wt that I bought two years ago and have enjoyed fishing it. I didn't really intend to buy the 1wt, but the custom builder that built my 3wt ran a "Black Friday sale" in November and no one was picking up this rod, so it was an impulse buy. Had no idea what to do with it, so I started researching and ended up here. I'm sure it will be a learning process.

steve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:55 pm • # 5 

Thanks for the explanations Steve. Hope to see pictures posted of the areas you fish.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:29 pm • # 6 

Welcome aboard Steve. I'm from Mexico,MO so we are practically neighbors. Did you buy that rod from Steve over on the rodbuilding forum? I recall seeing it there. He does great work.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:39 pm • # 7 

Hi Steve.

You'll enjoy that 1wt when you find those "spots" where using it enhances the experience. I fished an Orvis Superfine 1 wt for a few years and had to learn where to not take it. It required me to really slow down and get in sync with the rod and let it do its work. When I tried to force it beyond its capabilities I ended up not enjoying it so much. Purely my fault. Sold it and the Lamson LP1L I had for it and have regretted doing so.

You'll understand shortly,

Clay :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:21 pm • # 8 

dave potts wrote:
Welcome aboard Steve. I'm from Mexico,MO so we are practically neighbors. Did you buy that rod from Steve over on the rodbuilding forum? I recall seeing it there. He does great work.

Dave

Hi Dave,
I don't know about the rodbuilding forum, never been there. However, the builders name is Steve. It is Midwest Custom Fly Rods out of Michigan. And yes, he does do good work.

steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:22 pm • # 9 

clay45 wrote:
Hi Steve.

You'll enjoy that 1wt when you find those "spots" where using it enhances the experience. I fished an Orvis Superfine 1 wt for a few years and had to learn where to not take it. It required me to really slow down and get in sync with the rod and let it do its work. When I tried to force it beyond its capabilities I ended up not enjoying it so much. Purely my fault. Sold it and the Lamson LP1L I had for it and have regretted doing so.

You'll understand shortly,

Clay :)

Clay,
Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks,
steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:45 pm • # 10 

Hi Steve, welcome! I hang out over here as well, not as active here as on the other forum, because my 3wt is the lightest rod I own, currently. Good to see you here, and I look forward to your adventures on the ultralight side.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:59 pm • # 11 

herchammer wrote:
Hi Steve, welcome! I hang out over here as well, not as active here as on the other forum, because my 3wt is the lightest rod I own, currently. Good to see you here, and I look forward to your adventures on the ultralight side.

Hey herchammer,
Yeah, I need to learn how to fish this rod and thought a forum dedicated to UL fly fishing would be the most helpful.

steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:30 am • # 12 

Welcome from Monett, MO.

I fish Capps Creek, Roaring River, Crane Creek and the White River below Table Rock Dam.

Just moved here in November.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:03 pm • # 13 

Welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:54 pm • # 14 
Administrator

Hi Steve, welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:34 pm • # 15 

RudeDog12 wrote:
Welcome from Monett, MO.

I fish Capps Creek, Roaring River, Crane Creek and the White River below Table Rock Dam.

Just moved here in November.

Hi RudeDog,
That's beautiful country down there.

Thanks,
steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:35 pm • # 16 

pab1 wrote:
Welcome!

Thank you, Pab1.

steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:43 pm • # 17 

CBarclay wrote:
Hi Steve, welcome!

Thanks, Chris.

I was fishing with Joe last year and he was kind enough to let me cast one of your rods. It was a beautiful rod and a dream to cast.

steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:06 am • # 18 

Welcome Steve. Your in the right place for ultralight fly fishing info

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply