It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:33 pm • # 1 

Hi all. I'm a new member from Nashville, Tennessee. I started fly fishing last year and tying fliesthis winter (it's been so cold and wet I've had ample time to practice). I started out on a 5wt, tried a am 8wt for casting large bass bugs and weighted subsurface patterns, but was unimpressed with fighting a 1-2 lb bass, or a sunfish of any size on what felt like a crane and truck winch. I found a good deal on a 7'6" 3wt in an army navy surplus store I frequent and got a cheap reel and DT line and fell in love.

My current setup is that same rod, opst command 150 grain head with an oldDT as the shooting line, and an array of versileaders. I've only just begun to get into single hand spey casting, and having something of a difficult time with it, and I know that this setup might not be the best for it, but for turnover of larger,as well as weighted, subsurface flies longer distances I have been very happy.

After a season of catching mostly panfish (whom I love pursuing) I wish to focus my attention this year to creek smallmouth, weekend camping trips to fish the smoky mtn ntl park for trout, and eventually carp, although maybe not on my ul rod.

I've been visiting this site since last year, as well as Bill Byrd site, and have found both to be extremely helpful. I decided to finally speak up and see who all is out there and join the conversation.

I'm excited to hear from you all, and if anyone is in the area is love to meet and talk.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:39 pm • # 2 

Welcome from Central Tx.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:48 pm • # 3 

Thanks. I used to live in Austin, and wasn't so much into fishing at the time, but would love to fish central Texas at some point during a revisit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:56 am • # 4 

Welcome from North Texas. I too have become interested in the Skagit style of casting on Ultra lights. Fascinating.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:57 pm • # 5 

Welcome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:01 pm • # 6 

Welcome from North Central Texas. The UL fly fisherman from Texas are some of the few that have thawed out. Our comrades from the North will join us soon as Spring is not far away. From reading the posts about one handed spey casting, alot of posts from Linecaster and mmckenzie, I am becoming interested too. I've started fishing a different local lake and can see fish activity about 80 to 120 ft out ; I am lucky to get out 40 ft with a light rod (or any other rod for that matter). My longest UL is a 7 ft 3wt, 6 inches shorter than your 3wt. Any one think I have a prayer of reaching those distances, say using a #6 or #8 Wooly, with a set up similar to our new member?
Are you achiving distance or the ability to chunk large flies, or both?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:50 am • # 7 

I've noticed with my setup, I can cast long distances right now of only about 40-50 ft, but I'm still only at best an intermediate caster. For me personally, I'm really struggling with the single hand spey with this setup, but for shooting line it works exceptionally well. No false casting required. I know that once I get the rhythm of the casing strike under control, further distances will totally be possible.

Also, I've been tying rather large flies and have been able to cast them on a sinking versileaders quite easily. Even (and I know this may be sacrilege) smaller sized crank baits like the rebel micro min now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:58 am • # 8 

Thanks for the explanation wm. With economy in mind, I am thinking of scaling it down by using my 5.75' 3 weight with some cut up 7 or 8 weight for my shooting head; using this set up on a small canal for maybe 30-40 ft single handed spey casts. If I can master the small water fishing then I'll feel confident to spend the money on store bought shooting heads and see if I can achive the 120 casts I need on that larger lake.

I agree with your comment about catching smaller fish on the larger rods, no enjoyment for me. I won't go out of the UL range to catch small bass, crappie and gills.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply