It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: New Kid on the Block
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:40 pm • # 1 

Hi,

Just found this forum on a recommendation from another forum. It looks very diverse and interesting so far. I am looking forward to being here.

Joe

Post subject: Re: New Kid on the Block
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:14 pm • # 2 

Welcome to the light weights good stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:16 pm • # 3 

welcome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:55 pm • # 4 

Welcome from another newcomer, Joe.

steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:04 pm • # 5 

Welcome Riverdog1. When you have some time tell us about your fishing equipment, what you target, the types of waters you fish, etc; looking forware to it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:26 pm • # 6 

JimRed wrote:
Welcome Riverdog1. When you have some time tell us about your fishing equipment, what you target, the types of waters you fish, etc; looking forware to it.

I fish barb less most of the time wherever unless I am having a bad day and am trying to catch dinner.

I usually fish 2 and 3 weight around Texas, Arkansas - Missouri (rainbow/brown) along with smallies in rivers White, Little Red, Buffalo. Around home blue gill, crappie, black bass in ponds/cattle tanks of friends along with small local lakes - smallies when I can get to the Brazos.

Down on the coast the tackle gets a bit heavier due to the wind factor unless I can catch a quiet morning or evening on a protected channel or cove. Sight casting tailing reds from a polling skiff is a hoot or speckled trout.

When in Michigan where my brother lives we fish the Pere Marqueete, Little and Big Manistee among others and when we venture to the UP some small streams. Rainbows and Browns on ultra light - salmon not so much.

I keep it simple on UL tackle - Lamson Konic and Liquid on Reddington, St. Croix, TFO

Heavier stuff is Ross CLA, Lamson Lightspeed and Abel on Sage and St. Croix

Favorite go to pattern - Clouser Minnow and Clouser Floating Minnow various sizes and colors.

My favorite rod = none of the above - a fiberglass 3wt from Cabelas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:19 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Welcome from
Arlington

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:52 pm • # 8 

Thanks for the post on your fishing locals, that quite a variety and I look forward to reading about them in the future.
Curious, which Cabela's 3 wt fly rod is your favorite?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:09 pm • # 9 

JimRed wrote:
Thanks for the post on your fishing locals, that quite a variety and I look forward to reading about them in the future.
Curious, which Cabela's 3 wt fly rod is your favorite?

Cabelas Prime - 1 piece - 6' a bit short, but not bad.

Just finished talking with my brother - gonna get a some time in the on PM in mid May, gonna miss the steelheads, but they have had a warm winter and spring looks to be the same. Brookies, Browns and Rainbows.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:15 pm • # 10 

Yes, I am fortunate to live out from the city and have some private small water to fish...just the way I like it...alone or with "one" fishing buddy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:33 am • # 11 

I don't have a Prime only because I don't know how the logistics would work out with a one piece rod; someday though I'll take the plunge and just figure it out. The first time I picked one up in Cabela's I felt it was the perfect rod.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:59 am • # 12 

River dog1 welcome. Next time you go to Michigan to visit take your ultralight and chase some native Brookies. The U.P. Is a great place. As far as streams the Fox river and its branches are a good start. Hemmingways story the big two hearted actually took place on the fox. Hoppers and terrestrials in the summer are a blast. Also along the way the a Ausable in the northern lower peninsula is great. The east branch to avoid the crowds for rainbows and Browns. All great ultra light spots.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:10 am • # 13 

Some upper peninsula Brookies. One didn't make a release so he didn't get wasted.ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:04 pm • # 14 

Ajcarricktx wrote:
River dog1 welcome. Next time you go to Michigan to visit take your ultralight and chase some native Brookies. The U.P. Is a great place. As far as streams the Fox river and its branches are a good start. Hemmingways story the big two hearted actually took place on the fox. Hoppers and terrestrials in the summer are a blast. Also along the way the a Ausable in the northern lower peninsula is great. The east branch to avoid the crowds for rainbows and Browns. All great ultra light spots.

Thanks, I will be there in May - Pere Marquete @ Baldwn is first for a couple of days...after that we are heading to the UP - I will be carrying UL. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:12 pm • # 15 

JimRed wrote:
I don't have a Prime only because I don't know how the logistics would work out with a one piece rod; someday though I'll take the plunge and just figure it out. The first time I picked one up in Cabela's I felt it was the perfect rod.

The one pieces are a pain especially if you do not have a truck. I put mine in a long piece of PVC pipe. I padded one end before I glued it together. The other end is a screw in plug with foam. The wife made me a simple sack out cheap material.

The pvc rides angled in the back with no problem. I have a buddy who does the same in his SUV with the back seats down.

The solution has some limitations, but...

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply