It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: New to the Forum
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:43 am • # 1 

Hello All!

New to the forum but have been fly fishing most of my life. I'm a high schooler from North Texas fortunate enough to be heading to the Northwest for college in the next year or so (has nothing to do with the fishing... ;) ). I grew up on a 6'6'' 3wt and have stuck close though I converted to glass a few years ago. I hope to learn, share, and help in any way I can.

Side note: I am an avid backpacker and I'd love to see your backcountry rigs as I am currently putting one together for a couple of treks this summer.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: New to the Forum
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:20 am • # 2 

Hi and welcome, enjoy your college fishing, I would miss the Blue Gills and the Texas summers.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:59 am • # 3 

Welcome Colburned and it's great to see younger folks fly fishing; wouldn't want the sport to pass with us older fly rodders. When you can, tell us what type of fish, waters
and tackle you use and target. What rod is you 6.5 footer? Which reel(s) to you use, and etc. Thanks for joining.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:04 am • # 4 

Welcome

Still evolving my backpacking kit. Took way too much last summer. Unfortunately new job restricts vacation from 7 was to 3. So won't get another trip for a while.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:53 pm • # 5 

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Jim, the 6'6'' is an early Orvis Clearwater, which really is a nice casting rod. I also have a 7'6'' T&T Heirloom 3wt that I built and will likely rebuild (inexperience shows). No fancy reels- just a 1990's White River (Bass Pro) 3/4 with two spools: WF & sinking. Locally, panfish are prevalent, but I've taken a number of weekend trips up to Broken Bow for brookies as well as the occasional vacation to Utah or Montana. Down here, I stick to miniaturized bass bugs that I tie, but when we go north, most of the fishing is dry fly. I'm thinking my next rod will be a 5' JP Ross Beaver Meadow 2/3wt as that will suffice for the streams I encounter hiking.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:28 pm • # 6 

Thanks for filling us in Colburned. Looks like your really in to the UL. The (few) high schoolers I see fly fishing around here are using heavy stuff,
typically 9' 7wts. They seem impressed at the fight a small fish gives me on UL. When they stop to talk, I show them my light rods and suggest they take a few casts.
Did you start out on UL?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:45 pm • # 7 

I suppose I started out on the high side of UL using mostly 3wts growing up. I've always enjoyed the touch of a short rod compared to a 9'+ that most of my friends like to use. I have borrowed some nine to eleven foot rods and understand the merits of mending and distance casting - I've just grown to enjoy the ability to go where others can't and the precision of presentation that UL rods allow.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:17 pm • # 8 

Thanks Colburned. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:46 am • # 9 
Administrator

Welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:03 pm • # 10 
Administrator

welcome

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply