It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: New member from FL
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:31 am • # 1 

Hey all!
New member here out of Gainesville,Fl. Just getting started into the UL, but have only been fly fishing for little over a year. I started fly fishing when I got bored catching redfish on the gulf with conventional tackle and have always dreamed about learning to fly fish but didn't know where to start in the sport and didn't know anyone near by that fly fished. Started out with a cheap 8wt set up and my first fish on fly was an 18"speckled seatrout near steinhatchee Fl. I was hooked on fly fishing for good after that! My first redfish on fly was 29"! And let me tell you, I was no where near ready for that! But I landed and released him after a few pictures of course. I also just picked up fly tying s few months ago and have become pretty good at it.
If I'm not fishing the saltwater, I'm on the Santa Fe river throwing bugs at bluegills and bass! I love this forum and can't wait to order an UL setup, thinking I'm going to start with a 3wt since I've only owned and cast 8wt's. That's all for now!

Chris

Post subject: Re: New member from FL
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:25 am • # 2 

Welcome, Chris, I find it difficult to take out my 4&5 weight rods I just love catching Blue Gill on the light weights and the occasional bigger fish such as 3-4lb LMB. You are going to enjoy the UK fly rods my favourite is the 2 weights.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:48 pm • # 3 

Welcome to the forum. The first bass or bream on a 3wt and you will be hooked. They can put a good bend in a 3wt. I've noticed that fishing ultralight has dramatically improved my ability to land more fish on heavier tackle when I get to chase steelhead in Michigan.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:48 pm • # 4 

Welcome

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:47 pm • # 5 

Chris, 18 inch spec and 29 inch red fish on a fly rod is impressive; especially the 29 inch red fish.
Reds and specs are going to be a real thriller on an UL; hope you post some pictures. For me, UL is the only way to catch gill and small bass, as Linecaster mentioned above.
They likely have pin fish in Florida salt water, I imagine they would be like catching a blue gill on UL.
Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:46 pm • # 6 

Thanks for greetings y'all.
And JimRed, I was pretty stoked to of caught my first red that big! Definitely wasn't the plan and was not ready for the ride that was in store! Since I was on a 13'gheenoe by myself and was poling in a very shallow/narrow feeder creek with sharp bends that had massive oyster bars on either side and was a -1.0 tide and he dragged the skiff over 200 yds back in the creek till he ran out of water! Here is a pic of the red!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:02 pm • # 7 
Administrator

welcome- nice catch!

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply