It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Hello from Georgia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:04 pm • # 1 

I've been lurking a while so I might as well introduce myself. I'm small town Georgia born and raised, did some travelling and have been an Atlantan for 40 years. I used to do a fair amount of fishing (much of it on the Chattahoochee and on streams in the mountains), but the time pressure of my job has kept me away from it for the last 15 years or so. By inclination, I'm mostly a small water pan fisherman and in general I had used ultra light spinning gear until the last few years.

I got hooked on fly fishing and as my skill has increased, I've found myself drawn toward the ultralight side. My two main trout rods are a Cabela's Lst 9' and a 3 Forks 7'6", both 3 weights. This past fall, I took advantage of the after Thanksgiving sales to pick up a couple more rods. An LL Bean 5'9" 3wt and a CGR 6'2" 2wt. The Bean works fine with my 3 wt Cabela's line (1/2 weight heavy WF), but the CGR is a bit overwhelmed so I'm looking at 2 wt DT lines. The H&H DT 2 is out of stock until June and neither Cabelas or bass pro list a 2 wt DT. The Cortland 444 peach and sylk lines both look good.

Joe

Post subject: Re: Hello from Georgia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:17 pm • # 2 
Administrator

welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:29 pm • # 3 

Hi!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:17 pm • # 4 

Welcome aboard Atlanta Joe. Nice rods you have there. I use a cabela's dt 2 wt on my CGR 2wt but maybe they discontinued it....
They may still have the WF 2wt. I like the 2wt line on that rod too....although I have been casting 12ft of 8wt with small running line
on the 2 wt lately and that works great with a #8 fly if you don't mind splashing up the water a bit....bass don't seem to care

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:19 am • # 5 

Thanks for the welcome, folks. Jim, I'm looking forward to fishing the 2wt when I get it lined. I've been using the little 5'9" LL Bean rod, it's a lot of fun. I find myself improvising casts I wouldn't attempt with a longer rod.

It does have it's limitations, doesn't like to chunk heavy multiple nymph rigs and of course it's not much of a high sticker. It really is lovely rolling short dry dropper rigs under overhanging limbs and into tiny pockets along the bank.

8wt on a 2? I guess we are only limited by our imaginations. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:05 pm • # 6 

Joe, that length of 8wt matches the weight of a 2wt 30 ft of line. The 8wt is picked up with one back cast, no hauling so that when you go forward the 12ft 8wt has loaded the rod
and the 8wt line carries the light running line through the cast. This will cast larger flies and has the advantage of needing less room for back cast and
eliminates multiple back casts. I got the idea from others on this forum, Linecaster in particular.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:25 pm • # 7 

JimRed wrote:
Joe, that length of 8wt matches the weight of a 2wt 30 ft of line.....This will cast larger flies and has the advantage of needing less room for back cast and eliminates multiple back casts.
Got it, that's an interesting approach (like overlining carried to an extreme). I remember being disappointed that my fancy 9' LST 3 weight wouldn't throw a brim bug as far as my SA beginners 5/6 outfit.

What do you use for the running (shooting?) line?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:46 pm • # 8 

Joe, I've experimented with different options. I've tried different weights of braided line, 30 and 50 lbs. The lighter the better for long casts, but the braided line is uncomfortable
for stripping and knots up easily. I've had the best results with using the back end of the lightness line I can find in my tackle; in other words I am using the running line from WF fly line.
If you look through the post on this site, your find recommendations for running line you can purchase. I know Linecaster has posted recommendations for running line. You can also
find recommendations for the shooting heads from posts on this site.

I am just experimenting. When the brim start back up I'll be fishing that 2 wt CGR with 2 wt line; that thick line absorbs some of the fight of the gills and takes some of the fun out of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:45 am • # 9 

I am just experimenting. When the brim start back up I'll be fishing that 2 wt CGR with 2 wt line; that thick line absorbs some of the fight of the gills and takes some of the fun out of it.[/quote]

Agreed on that point, that is why I prefer a 15' head as opposed to a shorter one. Running line as you said as thin as possible from the running line of a weight forward line. If you really want distance get the Lazar line from OPST.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:09 pm • # 10 

I'm going to have to pick up some of that lazer line, it's not that expensive. I had some really old #3 running line that finally broke and had nothing since that matched it for distance.

Joe, just went through organizing my tackle while watching football and noted that I have a spare Cabela Prestige Plus #2 DT. I must have purchased an extra when
they had it on close out. I paid at the most $22 for it. I'll sell for $22. If you are interested PM me with address to send to and after you receive it you can send the money if you want it.
Let me know if you PM me so I can look for the email.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:41 am • # 11 

JimRed wrote:
If you are interested PM me with address
PM sent, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:23 pm • # 12 

welcome

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply