It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 40 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:54 pm • # 21 

Not proportional or anything just whipped a couple up from scraps on the table.
You get the idea?
First one is a size 8 with Bead chain eyes and rabbit fur dubbed body,
The second is a size 10 with a bead and chenille body.

As far as your question goes depends on what you’re trying to target.
Panfish...size 12-8 Bigger Bass/stripers etc. Size 8-1/0
For a quantity over quality I would stay with the smaller sizes.
The biggest bass I’ve ever caught down there was somewhere around 6 to 7 pounds..I was fishing a 1/0 deer hair driver with one of the flies I’m posting here in size 10 with no weight as a dropper...it hit the dropper.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:26 am • # 22 

Thankyou for your explanation and pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:42 am • # 23 

So far so good, hoping to arrive Wed. 24th for four days of fun. Depending on the weather I am raring to go.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:39 pm • # 24 

Eric,
Unless something changes I am planning on arriving the afternoon of the 24th also. I have talked to a friend from the glass board who will try to join us for fishing on Thursday morning and probably Friday also. He fishes there quite a bit so will have some good pointers.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:14 am • # 25 

I hope to be all setup in my Runaway Camper and be on the water at least be one fish ahead :) Spoken over the phone with Mrs McCrary who was very welcoming so raring to go.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:21 pm • # 26 

From looking at the weather forecasts, may be a little wet on Wednesday and Thursday, with predictions for 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms. Fortunately, after Thursday the forecast looks pretty good. Being a tailwater stream, should clear up fairly quickly. Guess I will come on down on Wednesday anyway, I've been wet before and could certainly benefit from a little shrinkage. Looking forward to it.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:43 pm • # 27 

:) Larry, all being well I expect to be there early, just hope we don't have a wash out. This time I wish the rain takes a circular route. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:08 pm • # 28 

I will be keeping a close eye on the weather. I just looked at Weather Channel which is predicting 100% chance of heavy thunderstorms on the 24th. Here at home the prediction is for 90% chance of thunderstorms and rain on both the 24th and 25th. I may have to wait 'til Thursday or possibly even Friday. Not much fun loading a pickup with camping and fishing gear in the rain. Of course, within the next 3 days the weather could do a complete flip flop. I've learned to never put complete faith in weather predictions. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:03 pm • # 29 

Unless the weather forecast changes significantly between now and Wednesday, I will probably be coming in on Thursday.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:49 pm • # 30 

Larry these guys get it so badly wrong some times, I still plan on a early start. I will leave early Wednesday. Let's see , hoping they get it wrong on where the storm developes in our favor.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:46 pm • # 31 

Glad Eric (linecaster) is still with us. He was the first to arrive at the campground, and while trying to set up his shower tent, he was almost struck by a large falling limb or tree. He showed a lot of fortitude in trying to arrive between storm fronts; I elected to wait until the next day. Unfortunately for the fishing, the heavy rains prior to the event caused a lot of releases from Lake Whitney, making the fishing impossible most of the time. There was a brief window of time one day which allowed for some fishing, but the results were not good. On Saturday, some of the people went over to the nearby Nolan River to give it a try there, but results were mixed at best. Most of the participants were members of the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum, though some of us are members of both forums. There were a lot of glass rods brought out for people to try out. A few rods and reels changed hands in purchase or trade. I will have to admit, that the rain didn't cause me personally a great deal of disappointment. I can fish anytime at home, but I do like to get together with old friends and meet new friends, and this was accomplished. More fishing time would have been appreciated however.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:55 pm • # 32 

Pleased to have met you Larry and enjoyed meeting your bunch of fly rodding friends.
I was assured that once the rains slow down the river does behave itself and that the fishing is really great. Larry failed to mention that the rising river caught me on the far bank and was relieved to get back before it got too deep and fast. You have to be on the alert all the time if the river is low. A release can occur without warning.The owners of the property are fantastically hospitable. I will pay a return visit later. Had fun shooting Charlie's pellet pistol with Denise, a pleasant distraction from the no fishing angle. I think any future enclave should be organized later to avoid the chance of heavy rain and flooding, maybe toward the end of May.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:01 pm • # 33 
Administrator

Hanging out with friends and casting others equipment is normally our primary purpose, but adding good fishing is the bonus. And if possible we try to fish waters which are new to us.

Fishing the Brazos is where the fun really began so the homecoming at jacks was for me the best part of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:45 am • # 34 

Well, I wanted to make it but between work, mandatory training, and the grass pollen kicking my butt it just wasn't in the cards. In a way I'm glad I missed it though; after the rainout at the Hill Country meetup last year (and the white-knuckle drive home hauling the fifth wheel), and the rain y'all got, I'da felt like a rain jinx if I'd made it. Some of y'all need to head down to Port Mansfield some time soon; I'll be focusing most of my angling efforts toward becoming intimate with the waters and seasonal patterns down there, pending retirement. Be glad to pole y'all around and watch you catch reds on your UL rigs.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:18 pm • # 35 

I suppose in the future I could avoid these spring rains. I'll just start scheduling these events in July. Much less chance of rain then. Might be a tad warm. ;)

Larry

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:01 pm • # 36 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
I suppose in the future I could avoid these spring rains. I'll just start scheduling these events in July. Much less chance of rain then. Might be a tad warm. ;)

Larry

A spring get together in the summer......... You trying to get me even more confused?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:36 pm • # 37 

Well, sorry Jim. How about a spring event in the winter. Is that better? :P

Larry

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:27 pm • # 38 

Post Spring early Summer. Neither Spring or Summer. Fly fishing the priority after which the bargaining and comparison rod line display. I guess I should have got involved with my shooting heads and lines to put down all that arm waveing that was taking place :lol ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:14 am • # 39 

Eric,
You need to remember that big red cows occasionally roamed through the campground, leaving behind what cows leave behind. All that arm waving was to shoo the flies away. :lol

Larry

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:30 am • # 40 

Yeah, I had to kill a dozen or more the second night as I had left the camper door open. Too confined a space for fly rod waving though. :eek

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 40 posts ] New Topic Add Reply