It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 40 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:36 pm • # 1 

Following considerable behind the scenes discussion regarding where, when, etc., a conclave has been scheduled on the Brazos River below Lake Whitney. This is being planned as a conclave of the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum, but I am extending this invitation to members of this forum also, as many members here are also members of the glass board. Anybody is welcome, glass freak or not.

Location: Spivey Crossing RV park and campground near Aquilla, TX. Also known as "Jack's place" to people who have camped or fished there before. If coming in on I-35, exit onto FM 1304 north of Abbott and go west about 13 miles. When you reach the junction of FM 1304 and FM 2114, continue west on FM 1304 for approx. another 1.7 miles. The entrance will be on the right, and if memory serves me correctly there will be a small sign in the shape of Texas with McCrary printed under it. There is plenty of room for tents, at a cost of $10 per night. There are RV sites, but you will need to call 254-694-4256 to ensure there is a site available. Cost per RV site is $17 per night. This is a somewhat primitive campground, but we have had a good time here in the past. Just don't expect much in the way of amenities. On arrival, just go on down to the campground. Mr. McCrary (Jack) will be coming around to collect fees. If you are coming as a tent camper you don't need to call ahead, just show up. I would appreciate those who are coming, let me know in this thread.

At past events here there has been considerable horse trading going on, with swapping, selling and buying of rods and reels. If you are looking to make some acquisitions, come financially prepared. If looking to sell, bring your gear for sale. I personally fit into both categories.

The campground is located right on the Brazos River, a few miles below Lake Whitney. Depending on water flow and weather, the fishing can be excellent, and of course that is one of the primary purposes of the conclave.

Larry

P.S. - The address of the campground is 151 FM1304 Aqulla, TX. You can use Mapquest or Google Earth to assist in locating the place.

Last edited by Canoeman1947 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:53 pm • # 2 

I will start a list of those people who have said they will be there or will try to be there. This is in addition to several other people from the glass forum.

Canoeman1947 (Larry)
TXH2Oman (Aaron)
keebranch (Les)
Chris Barclay (Possibly)
Jim Ford ( Probable)
KyRainmaker (Ralph) - probable
linecaster (Eric)-possibly

Last edited by Canoeman1947 on Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:28 pm • # 3 

Depending on vacation time I would like to attend.
Dates?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:54 pm • # 4 

Dates are as listed in the header for this topic.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:34 pm • # 5 

Sorry did not notice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:38 am • # 6 

Hope you can make it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:46 pm • # 7 
Administrator

hey Eric
I think you would like this one.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:23 pm • # 8 

I heard that Lake whitney releases water without warning, if that is the case is it going to be safe enough to wade?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:14 pm • # 9 

Although I have been organizing this shindig, I haven't been to the place in 3 or 4 years. I knew they had gone to automatic release at the Whitney dam, so I have been a little concerned about sudden releases myself. Jack McCrary told me if we are using kayak or canoe and water comes up, he has a takeout about 2 1/2 miles down river where we can be picked up. I wasn't sure about wading myself. I called Les and he said you would need to keep an eye on the water level if wading, and I would recommend wading in an area where you can get to the bank quickly. Les said he is going to bring his kayak, so I suppose I will be bringing my canoe.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 pm • # 10 

At this time I have no flotation, sold both my kayaks. I have been looking forward to wading a Hill country river.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:10 pm • # 11 

After thinking it over, I think I will just leave my canoe at home. With everything else I will be hauling, I don't want to mess with lifting a canoe up to an overhead rack. I'll just take my chances with wading. At my age and general level of decrepitude, I won't be going far anyway. ;) This section of the Brazos is of course not a Hill Country stream, but is similar.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:36 pm • # 12 

I am so looking forward to warm weather and being on the Brazos again. I live only about 30 miles from some Oklahoma trout water (Blue River), but it has been running higher and faster than I feel comfortable fishing. Also, because Oklahoma is not really a trout region, that means that everybody in southern Oklahoma and northern Texas that want to catch a trout show up there on weekends. Can occasionally be combat fishing at its finest. My preference is fishing for my native fish, all of which are warm water species, and most of the streams I fish see very few fishermen.

So far this planned event has mushroomed. Over on the glass board there are 14 people who say they are coming, and nine more possibles. So far there are three people from this forum that have expressed a desire to join us, aside from those of us that are members of both forums. Anybody else planning to show up? I try to leave the organization of this type of event as loose as possible. There are no planned activities or events. People just show up to fish, play with flyfishing gear, and visit with other like-minded people. The ultralight people might persuade a few fellow fishers to lay their 5 and 6 weights aside for a while and become more enlightened. And the fiberglass people will have a chance to show that just perhaps rod designers made a wrong turn somewhere back around 1970.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:05 pm • # 13 

Larry, is there ablutions available at the camping park? It is looking more like I will be able to attend.
Eric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:08 pm • # 14 

Eric,
The best I could say is there are a few water hydrants around. Flush toilets would be nice, but unavailable as far as I know. I usually leave there feeling (and probably smelling) rather gamey. I usually take along a package of Wet Wipes. Or I might just put on shorts and go jump in the river with a bar of soap. Wouldn't be the first time I've done that. The accomodations are not quite up to the Hilton level.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:45 pm • # 15 

Good to know is the reason I asked. So far I am in. We will see.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:20 pm • # 16 

Time has flown by since I first posted on this thread in January. I am sure it will now drag along for the next four weeks. I recently purchased a label making kit so I can label all my unmarked rod tubes. It gets old having to open a bunch of tubes and check contents in order to find a particular rod. I need to go through my reels and get them all sorted out. I also like to clean and recondition all the lines I am likely to be using before an event like this. I need to sort through my fly boxes and optimize them for fishing the Brazos. I'm sure I will also have to mow my lawn at least four times by the time of the conclave, so I should be able to keep my time filled while waiting. It will be good to see some old friends and hopefully to make some new ones. Looking forward to it. Looks like my friend Kurt will not be able to make it due to some family health issues. My friend Charlie is in Houston looking after his mother, but will try to make it up for the conclave. Since I will be coming alone, I may start down on the 24th, so I can get in a day or two of extra fishing. Anybody else planning to come in early?

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:18 pm • # 17 

I am hoping to arrive at least a day early, I have a lot to get ready before then. Looking forward to meeting you and all who attend.
What are the most productive flies, poppers and lures for where we will be fishing if you don't mind giving a few secrets away.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:09 am • # 18 

I'm certainly not the best person to answer this question as I've only been there twice. However, I did OK with poppers, Gurglers, Wooly Buggers, etc. I have a streamer pattern called the Thunder Chicken which I have found to be a great bass fly, although originally tied for steelhead up north. I also plan to try a couple of flies that I found useful down in the Hill Country, the Llano Bug and the Brushy Creek Streamer.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:50 pm • # 19 

I’ve been maybe a dozen or so times something like that.
Poppers are fun when they are hitting top water but small streamers in white,tan white-grey/silver always produce.
The one fly that really stands out for me is basically about a size 10 Woolly Bugger in Charturese..but instead of a Marabou tail I use a small tuff of rabbit fur snipped off a Zonker strip. These always out produce for me over the Marabou tail.
Tied with small dumbell eyes or weighted with lead.

These absolutely slay the Kentucky/Spotted Bass that hang out in the faster riffles there.
I’ll try to tie one tonight and post it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:28 pm • # 20 

The streamer size also a 10?
Thanks for your information and response.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 40 posts ] New Topic Add Reply