It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: New from Indiana
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:50 pm • # 1 

Hello, I’m knotjoe…partly because “Joe” is a name almost always taken on forums when I try (thus, not joe) and the spelling fits because I just don’t use extruded taper leaders. No real bias there, just a DIY customizer of my own tackle and I like to tie them myself for assured supply.

Lifelong angler with a penchant for the lighter side of tackle. Not only enjoyable, but I’ve often thought the most practical given where I live and what’s readily available for pursuit. Save for an occasional stocker ‘bow locally or rare northward journey to my Great Lakes origins, I’m a warm water panfish and other species fella more often than not.

Have lived in North Central Indiana for about the last 25 years and the majority of fishing I do is local and short driving distance. Likely credit much of my satisfaction and pleasure with local waters to the love of UL flyfishing. One can simply find the sport in it just about anywhere there’s water and fish.

Actually read this forum for quite a few years and probably should have joined long ago. Represents a fine niche of the flyfishing world that I think more folks should participate in and explore. Given my longterm readership of the forum, I feel compelled do my part to help keep it alive and active in whatever way I can. Good to finally be a member!

Post subject: Re: New from Indiana
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:13 pm • # 2 

Welcome aboard knotjoe. I used to tie my own custom leaders, but finally laziness won out. I used extruded leaders for years, but as furled leaders became more common, I switched over to furled leaders entirely. Like you, most of my fishing is done within 30-40 miles of my home, although I do occasionally make a foray out of state. Fortunately for me, my area of Oklahoma has several nice clear rocky streams that I enjoy fishing. I fish glass rods pretty much exclusively, usually in the 2-3 weight range.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:59 am • # 3 

Hello!

Looking forward to seeing pics of those Indiana "panfish and other species". Share your leader formulas, if you don't mind. I tie them, too, and love to try different types.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:34 am • # 4 

Welcome Knotjoe!

I'm kind of from that neck of the woods myself, having started out just across the state line near South Bend, but then living for years around Traverse City. Yes, we do need to keep this forum alive and well. UL fly-fishing is rather a niche within a niche.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:37 pm • # 5 

YO Joe , glad you get to meet us !! :lol Welcome to the forum . I make my own leaders too, I just pull off 2lb fluro in whatever length I need . I mostly nymph and mono anyways . Works for me .

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply