It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Sad news about Pearow
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:06 pm • # 1 

Our fellow fly fisherman Pearow, Gene Bethea, passed away yesterday after fighting prostate cancer for several years. Gene was one of the finest fly fishermen and a wonderful guy that I had the honor and pleasure of calling my friend. RIP, Gene.

If any of you know other forums that Gene was on, please let them know.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:30 pm • # 2 

Gene will certainly be missed. When I first got into glass rods over 13 years ago, he was one of the first friends I made in that group.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:57 am • # 3 

So sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to his close friends and family. I always enjoyed his posts.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:46 am • # 4 

The first time Gene and I went fly flying together we went to Caddo Lake in the middle of January. It was freezing cold, 34, and the fish weren't biting. I caught one crappie and Gene caught none. Guess what I harassed him about for the next few years!! Gene also got sick during the two hours on the water and we had to leave early. Guess what I also harassed him about for years to come!!

Gene was a liberal, having been in the education field for his entire career, and I am a conservative. We used to argue all the time about that but we both respected one another's right to think differently and we never thought the other person was a fool or stupid because their opinions were different. We still remained close friends over the 20 or so years that we knew each other, in spite of the differences. He was a good man and a good friend, I will miss him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:07 am • # 5 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Gene was a liberal, having been in the education field for his entire career, and I am a conservative. We used to argue all the time about that but we both respected one another's right to think differently and we never thought the other person was a fool or stupid because their opinions were different. We still remained close friends over the 20 or so years that we knew each other, in spite of the differences. He was a good man and a good friend, I will miss him.

Cliff: This may be one of the best things one could say about Gene. (and you, for that matter). A rare feature of a rare friendship, these days. It saddens me that you have lost such a special friend, but I'm thankful that you have those 20 years of memories.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:07 pm • # 6 

This is sad news. I never met Gene in person and didn't know his real name. But I learned a lot from his posts across several forums. My largest ever trout (a fat 28.5" well over 10lb hatchery escapee rainbow) ate a #10 briminator that I tied following his pictures and instructions. My condolences to his friends and family.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:18 pm • # 7 

Pearow wrote a very interesting post on this forum. Don't remember the exact topic, but it had to do with frieghtning experiences on the water. Pearow was in a boat fishing with a friend when a tordano hit the lake and Pearow held on to a tree, hugging it, to stablize thier float and maintain the location. The abrasions Pearow sufferered on his arms bleed but he held on; one tough guy!

I always enjoyed his posts about saving money on fly fishing expenditures. I could sense he was a dedicated fly fisherman for sure, and admired him. Although I never met Pearow, I felt as though I knew him.

My condolenses to his family and friends; a man like that will be surely missed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:03 am • # 8 

Rest in peace.

Prayers and condolences for all affected by his passing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:01 pm • # 9 

My connection with Pearow was a rod repair he did on a 5 weight that I subsequently gave to my grandson. Excellent job he did. Sorry to hear of his passing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:15 am • # 10 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Cliff Hilbert wrote:

Cliff: This may be one of the best things one could say about Gene. (and you, for that matter). A rare feature of a rare friendship, these days. It saddens me that you have lost such a special friend, but I'm thankful that you have those 20 years of memories.
brent

Brent, I am very thankful for those 20 years also. I have nothing but good memories of him and our times together. Gene was rather mischievous at times. At one fly fishing club overnight outing Gordon and I got there early one morning and saw Gene and his little silver mini-Airstream sitting there. He told us to go into the trailer and help ourselves to a cup of coffee. We went in and poured cups of coffee and spooned what we thought was sugar into them. When we tasted the coffee we both spit it out. Gene was laughing! He had put salt into the sugar container. Typical Gene. :lol :lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:07 pm • # 11 

Didn’t know him but my prayers and thoughts go out to his love ones.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:23 am • # 12 

[quote="Cliff Hilbert"]
Brent, I am very thankful for those 20 years also. I have nothing but good memories of him and our times together. [/quote}

8) Nice, Cliff

brent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:52 am • # 13 

I last saw Gene last summer. He was in the middle of chemo. I didn't recognize him he was so thin. My bad for not visiting more often, I am 11 miles from his home

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:29 am • # 14 

I didnt know Pearow except for a few PMs about rod builds on this site and the FFF . He was courteous and respectful as was I . He built nice rods . He will be missed .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:00 pm • # 15 

I’m so sorry to hear about Pearow’s passing. I am fortunate enough to be a prostate cancer survivor, 14 years cancer free.
I didn’t really know Gene but he offered to repair the tip on my Cabels CGR for a minimal fee several years ago and did a wonderful job repairing it. The rod behaved like it was new.
Cliff, I’m glad that you and Pearow were able to be friends in spite of your political differences. I think we can all take a lesson from this. While I don’t really consider myself a liberal (conservative in some areas, liberal in others) l live in a neighborhood where everyone is much more conservative than I am and we all get along very well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:54 pm • # 16 

If Gene and I had been politicians we would have ALWAYS found a way to find a middle ground where we could compromise and come up with a solution that would have been agreeable. We knew that we had vast differences in the political spectrum but we both respected one another's right to their opinion. It's too bad today's politicians don't have that ability.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:47 pm • # 17 

That is the beauty of democracy.

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply