It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:26 pm • # 1 

Greetings from the southern Pacific. Been doing the UL fly fishing thing since 2019 and almost exclusively in saltwater around the Waitemata harbour in Auckland. I am indebted to MudfishMarquand who is a member of this site for enticing me into the Light side of the Force. My first UL outfir was a a Composite Developments ICT #3 8ft and paired with an Echo Base 4/5 reel and made a DIY skagit line so I could still chuck a 1/0 clouser. Since most first I catch are under 2 pounds even my 7 weight outfit was beginning to feel like overkill so the fun factor of UL was the major driver and that has certainly been fulfilled as I have quickly racked up numerous local snapper( aka USA "Porgy"), kahawai (aka Australian salmon, Arripis trutta), silver trevally and parore (aka Australian Luderick). One of my big concerns was the common detraction that UL was useless in any sort of wind - which I quickly found is basically "BS" in my first outings were winds of 15-20 knots and waves crashing around me as I waded an estuarine flat and catching fish!
Long story short my 3 weight is now my default oufit for my local saltwater fishing and catching as many fish as before with a lot more fun. I added a 10ft nymph rod to my UL inventory last year which has proved useful fishng around rocky/weedy edges and looking to add a #3 fibreglass rod soon.
Looking forward to seeing what else is going on in UL fly fishing universe and to share some of my questions and experiences.
Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:59 pm • # 2 

Welcome! I for one am jealous of you for the quality of your local fisheries...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:48 am • # 3 

Hello!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:06 pm • # 4 

Welcome to the light world. I am pleased to see you too like the Skagit shooting head. I have a 8'6" 3 weight that I use a integrated OPST Commando head casting outsized bugs and worms with coneheads when neccessary. I also made my own Skagit head for my go to 2 weight. Jim Reddon on this forum let me use his 3 weight 10' nymphing rod that handled the Skagit from the 2 weight very nicely. Small fish felt good on it. Again Welcome, nice variety of fish you target too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:07 am • # 5 

Hi linecaster,
Thanks to you and others for your welcome. I decided pretty quickly once I read about skagit that it was the key to using UL tackle and also be able to cast a decent sized saltwater fly and it works very well. Hoping to get out tomorrow into the harbour as weather (just exiting winter down here) should be calm enough for first time after a week of continual rain and high winds. Time will tell!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:52 am • # 6 

Great to see you with this group Mark. Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 am • # 7 

Hi Mudfish - it is a small world at times, especially for UL fly fishing!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:46 pm • # 8 

Wolfie wrote:
One of my big concerns was the common detraction that UL was useless in any sort of wind - which I quickly found is basically "BS" in my first outings were winds of 15-20 knots and waves crashing around me as I waded an estuarine flat and catching fish!

I concur. While wind can complicate anything in flyfishing, it also gives us a bit of cover which is nice for short range fishing. Most flyfishing is kinda short range and we’re not exactly the stealthiest method with all that rod waving and fat@ss flyline flying about all the time. A bit of breeze is a welcome asset for me much of the time.

Good on you with the DIY line stuff, once you know how to cast it’s pretty fun to play with line ideas. We're "special needs" anglers and must improvise and invent. :lol

Will be interesting to hear about your forays into glass as I’m rowin’ in the same boat with ya. Might even go with an Ameriglass Classic blank on the next build to replace recently deceased rod depending on availability and supply. Seems a natural progression from IM6 and love of moderate/full flex blanks. Stuff’s hard to find in stock, but let’s be committed to the plan and see if we get just a little bit closer to that perfect combination of line, rod, and fishing approach.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply