It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: A near tragedy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:25 pm • # 1 

I can't sleep because of the near tragedy that occurred today. I just felt like writing about it to help me get things off of my chest and so hopefully others will not make the stupid mistakes that we made.

I went on a fishing trip, it was a fun day that started out at O dark 30 and ended a little after 7 when I returned home. I got home and unpacked my vehicle and brought my rods, reels, backpack, waders, and boots into the house. I started to put away my things and I noticed my wife was outside with all of our children. They were playing in their little kiddy pool. I just finished putting my boots and waders away in the garage and I came back into the house. My wife came in to say hi to me real quick.

We went to go outside when I stopped to put something away. As I went to put it away we heard my oldest daughter screaming. So I ditched it on top of the fridge and we went outside.

My wife went out first and I followed. All of a sudden I heard her screaming. She ran to the little kiddy pool and retrieved our youngest son who was face down in the water. She handed him to me, he was blue, cold, not breathing, I could not detect a pulse, and his eyes were rolled back. I immediately administered CPR and told my wife to call 911.

As luck would have it our phone dead (we have phone service though our cable service and from time to time has had issues). My wife in a panic could not find her cell phone so she ran to a neighbor's house to call.

Meanwhile I am continuing to administer CPR and my son is still nonresponsive. I yelled as loud as I could to hurry and call f'n 911. Finally she was able to find a neighbor that was home and called. As she was on her way back (I did not know this at the time) my son took a short breath and coughed up some water. Just as I thought that he might not die he stopped breathing again. I went back to performing CPR. Just before my wife got back he started to breath although it was very shallow. He opened his eyes and his pupils were fixed and he kept going in and out of concessions.

After what seemed like an eternity the paramedics showed up. By this time my son was starting to cry a little. He was transported to the local ER I went along in the ambulance with him. By the time the ER doctors were done examining him he was starting to act more like himself. By this time my wife and our two other children arrived at the ER. The doctors decided to keep him for observation. Then they decided that they wanted to transfer him to a different hospital that had a better pediatric unit.

So my wife decided that she wanted to go with him when they transported him so I could go home and put our other children to bed (it was after 11PM). I just got off the phone with her and she said that he is acting more normal but now he has a fever.

I just thank god that this did not turn out a different way. I also decided to post this because sometime as parents we can get complacent with things. I wanted to remind other parents not to get complacent because that is when accidents happen.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:14 am • # 2 

Sasha, your boy will be in my prayers for a full recovery. Keeping a cool head and knowing CPR saved your boys life. We all need to keep our First Aid/CPR current.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:20 am • # 3 

Sasha...I am at a loss as to what to say...I feel for you and your family...Things happen so fast, especially when it comes to our children...You and your family are in my most sincere prayers and thoughts...Rob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:09 am • # 4 
Administrator

Sasha,
I don't know what to add. My thoughts and prayers will be with you, your family, and your son as he recovers.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:51 am • # 5 

I need to refresh my CPR skill. Lesson taken. Thanks. Don

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:51 am • # 6 

We are so glad that your Son survived. God had a hand in this and your abilities to keep your Son alive until help arrived.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:00 am • # 7 
Administrator

Sasha, accidents always happen, but thank God you were able to revive your son. I agree, it's very easy to become complacent. As a father of four myself, I can't keep an eye on all four at once during a full day of cooking, cleaning, and other things. My youngest is 2 and I try to keep him at my side most of the day.
I'll keep your son and family in my prayers.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:11 am • # 8 

FishingHiker wrote:
Sasha, your boy will be in my prayers for a full recovery. Keeping a cool head and knowing CPR saved your boys life. We all need to keep our First Aid/CPR current.

Well said Dave!! As I said before, Good on you Sasha keeping your cool and quick thinking. My prayers are with you and your family! Justin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:05 am • # 9 

Thankfully all is well wth your family. Hope your son recovers soon
Robert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:50 pm • # 10 

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I am happy to report that Nicholas was doing well enough to be discharged this afternoon. He is at home now acting like nothing ever happened. It is amazing to me how quick young children can bounce back. It is just scary to think that we almost lost our 20 month old yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:03 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Wow, Sasha. I'm really glad your son is home and doing fine. Thanks for sharing with us.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:49 pm • # 12 

Just got home, busy weekend. Just got on the computer. Wow thank god and thank god all kept cool heads and did what they had to. You and your family will still be in my prayers. Please keep us updated on how thing are still going. I have a 18year old son just getting ready for college, and 15year old daughter. I always say I LOVE YOU and give hugs, but tonight it is going to be alittle longer and alittle tighter.
Thanks for tell us all!!!
Thanks John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:00 am • # 13 
Administrator

Thank you for the update.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:18 am • # 14 

I just thought that I would share a picture of Nicholas with everyone (I just took this pic today). Yes he is a little messy but he was just eating a S'mores granola bar.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:51 am • # 15 
Administrator

Thanks for sharing the pic, he is a handsome young man. Your quick action is the reason he is still with us today.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:42 am • # 16 

What a beautiful son...you are indeed blessed...Thank goodness you remained calm and did what needed to be done to save his life...Now, we need a pic of his first fish!!!....Rob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:05 am • # 17 

I'm glad it turned out for you and the little guy is Ok. I have a 9 year old and she is my world and if I lost her I don't what I would do.

PS... One great reason to stick to a land line and stay away from internet phones.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:32 am • # 18 

Good news and God Bless!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:44 pm • # 19 

I'm so glad it turned out well--I was actually starting to literally feel sick reading it because I sort of know how you felt. My younger son had a fever in January. I left the room to get some Tylenol and when I returned, his face looked just as you described and he was having a seizure. Really freaked me out. Scariest moment of my life. I'm SO glad your boy is well, and it reminds me that I really need to get CPR certified.

EDIT: Oops--guess I'm a couple months behind on this one. Sentiments remain the same, however.

Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply