It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:29 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Hi folks!

We've had an issue coming up more and more frequently and we're going to finally address it formally even though we've PM'd some of you about it in the past.  It concerns linking to your own sites or blogs.  I'm the designated hitter on this one but the four of us (owner and admins) have discussed it and agree.

This site which J owns and runs, exists to host UL fly fishing content--not to drive traffic to your blogs or to other sites.  Even though we realize that not everyone has this in mind it's pretty common for people to create their own blog and then attempt to get enough traffic to commercialize it by selling ads, doing paid promotions, or any of a number of other ways.  We have no problem with this--we just choose not to be a part of it.  Nor, for those not looking to make money off their blogs, do we want to purposely redirect traffic from here to some other site.  We're a content site--not a web portal.

J doesn't make money off this site, which he has been hosting for a while now.  If you Google UL Fly Fishing then J is always at or near the top--a position that some companies will pay tens of thousands or more to achieve.  Because J’s not making any money and because we’re here to host content we’re asking that you not post overt links to your blogs in the body of your posts.  An example would be:

“Hey, just got into some huge fish on my 1 wt.  Click here to read about it.  myFlyFishingBlog.comâ€

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:51 pm • # 2 

okydoky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:39 pm • # 3 

Simon,
You just have a blog on the bottom of your sig...... I don't think that's a problem!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:01 am • # 4 

I have it in my sig, but whenever I post something on it that I think is worth sharing I also post it here AGAIN and I do not post things like: "Hey look at my review in my blog here -> http://whatever/review/" so I think Im good to go, but if its a problem I can remove both links on my sig.

Tight Lines!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:35 am • # 5 
Administrator

All,
Simon is within the guidelines- no problems. If anyone else wants to put a blog in a signature line, that is allowed.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:58 am • # 6 

:D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:12 am • # 7 

That's good news to hear, I admire the clean look.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:13 pm • # 8 

Reasonable.

I’ve been through what you guys describe here.

I’m an active writer but I’m not here for that.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply