It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:03 am • # 1 

My youngest son recently has gotten into rock collecting. His collection so far is mostly made up of rocks he has found around the neighborhood and a few that we bought for him. He asked me if we could go try to find some "cool" rocks for his collection. I remembered a place that I fished that might possibly hold some neat rocks. We headed out to the spot in the early afternoon, I did bring a fly rod but decided to leave it in the truck once we got there. We spent the next couple of hours hiking and looking for rocks that he might add to his collection.

We did find some interesting rocks for the collection but nothing spectacular. As we hiked out we decided to check out one more area. While looking my son yelled to me "Dad I found some crystals" and hands me this.

Now I have no idea what type he found but it looks pretty badass. He was so excited finding his first crystal in the wild as he put it. On the way home he told me that this was the best day ever and that he couldn't wait to go home and show mom.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:13 am • # 2 

And the best part is.... You gave him a day that he'll remember forever

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:45 am • # 3 

Sometimes selflessness paysoff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:14 am • # 4 

Fantastic! As a famous man once said, there's more to fishing than catching fish. How great that he has his own natural history interests at that age. You should be very proud. I know nothing about crystals, but that thing just looks so interesting!

My favourite fossil find (a giant fern segment from the carboniferous period) was the result of putting away the rod and wading the shallows of a trout river.
brent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:43 pm • # 5 

Oh yea, he is so jazzed about the experience, he asked when and where we are going next. We hit the library today and checked out all of the rock and mineral field guides (small town so it is only 4 books). I am looking at maps and planning our next adventure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:48 pm • # 6 

Sasha wrote:
Oh yea, he is so jazzed about the experience, he asked when and where we are going next. We hit the library today and checked out all of the rock and mineral field guides (small town so it is only 4 books). I am looking at maps and planning our next adventure.

Adventure! What a magical word. My kids are now in their 30's and 40's and still talk about the "adventures" we took when they were kids. It was always fun when they knew I had something planned but when they asked I would just say we were going on an adventure!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:15 am • # 7 

Good job Dad!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:46 pm • # 8 

Thanks guys, he is already asking when we are going to go next. I guess it is a good thing that I have spent a lot of time exploring while fishing. It helps when making educated guesses as where to go search. An understanding of geology doesn't hurt either ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:30 am • # 9 

Hmm, slippery slope, that one! ;) It's how I started out: collecting cool and interesting rocks became an obsession and eventually drove me into geology as a career. Well done for getting him out there with you. He'll remember trips like that one forever.

He has collected some quartz crystals there. The red is some surficial iron staining, possibly from the water in the creek.

Cheers,
Graeme

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:53 am • # 10 

He did tell me the other day that he wants to be a geologist. You know it is a good thing that he is showing interest in activities outside. Too many kids these days are stuck on their video games/ electronic devices. Here are some more finds and purchases; the blue opal was found and the geodes were purchased as break open your own. The reason for the purchase is that he got sick so we had to cancel our trip to go find thunder eggs this weekend as he caught a stomach bug.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply