It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: End of the shad run
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:43 am • # 1 

I've been talking about shad fishing and the run is winding down. No more 15 to 25 fish days, more like 2 or 3 fish and the tail end of the run is the juvenile males.

My shad fishing is true urban fishing. You climb up to the dike near a bridge

Drop your ladder over the side and climb down

Then drop down the next wall down to the water. We have had very little rain and the river is running low. Another reason the run is ending early. Shad spawn based on water flow and temperature. When it warms fast they quickly spawn and are gone.

Here is one of the juvenile males from this morning on my 4 wt. switch rod.

Post subject: Re: End of the shad run
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:28 pm • # 2 
Administrator

That looks like fun!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:23 pm • # 3 

Very Nice. First I have heard of carrying your own ladder for fishing. Around here, we would be in trouble for trespassing. Nice set up. Do you care to tell us more about it?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:40 pm • # 4 

I love shad. Almost lost an Orvis Bamboo to one. Had my rod under my arm doing a two handed retrieve when BAM, jerked the rod out from under my arm into about thirty feet of water. All I had left was line in my one hand. Fortunately I was able to pull the rod back up with the fly line. No damage to the rod, but did lose the multiplier unit off my Hardy Marquis. In moving water they can give a great fight.

These fish were coming up to base of dam and of course someone bought the property and denied access.

Barry

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:35 pm • # 5 

Joe, 2 or 3 fish is 2 or 3 more fish than I caught on Friday and Saturday combined. :o With all the rain we've been having in Texas the past few weeks the fishing has been BAD.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:08 pm • # 6 

scorpion1971 wrote:
Very Nice. First I have heard of carrying your own ladder for fishing. Around here, we would be in trouble for trespassing. Nice set up. Do you care to tell us more about it?

This setup is my inexpensive switch rod venture. The rod is an Angler's Roost UHLM12 11' 4/5wt. switch rod ($190.00) and their WF5F 100' spey line ($20.00). I also have a 320 grain skagit line with four heads and a running line that I use to swing heavier flies in higher water. Got that on a blow out for $50.00 at Sierra Trading. I use 6lb. Maxima for a leader as the river I fish has a lot of shelf rock and the flies I use are tied with a conehead. For shad fishing, 3 to 8 pound fish, it is an ideal setup. I have used it for steelhead on the Salmon River, NY but it was a push so I changed over to my 7wt. switch for that.

Oh! and the ladder is a Werner aluminum 16' lightweight extension ladder. :lol :lol

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:36 pm • # 7 

Are you allowed to do that ladder thing?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:07 pm • # 8 

simonuca wrote:
Are you allowed to do that ladder thing?

Folks have been going over that wall to fish for over fifty years that I know of without any issues. When they rebuilt the bridge a few years back the drop over the wall increased significantly to where a ladder is needed. Some folks have put up homemade wooden "ladders" that I would not trust so I just bring my own and don't worry about having something break beneath me.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply